What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

I really don’t know. It’ll fire, cycle out the shell, and then load in the new round but I’ll need to rack it a bit to push the round into battery.

its frustrating.
Buffer or recoil spring issue. Or bolt carrier needs to be taken apart, cleaned and lubed.

It isn't going fully into battery.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
My Buddy got 3 bottles of Johnnie Walker Blue at his retirement shindig. The scurvy dog!!
On a lighter note: his last 2 weeks they scheduled him 3 times for firearms quals and defensive tactics. He emailed them 3 times and was told that it’s mandatory. Also, he was warned (his last week) that if he didn’t complete some required computer based training he could be disciplined.
My how things have changed.
Lots of managers and ZERO leaders.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I faired better than those in New Orleans and points south to me. I thought the roof was going to come off last night, but the Good Lord thought better. No power and probably won't have any municipal power for a good while. I bought a dual fuel generator on the way home from work the night before the storm. Not a whole house set up, but I got power to the fridge and separate freezer, and ran a line to the well pump so that I have running water. I have 200 gallons of well water in 55 gal. ABS food grade drums. Can plug in enough counter top kitchen accessories to cook with, plus the gas grill outside. I'm very blessed that I don't have trees down like there was with Katrina. With Katrina, I had at least a dozen large trees down across my 200 yd. long driveway, this time just a bunch of limbs and saplings. The property will require a lot of clean up, but will not require the Bobcats and multiple guys with chainsaws that the the aftermath of Katrina did. My biggest challenge will be to replace the fuel I'm using for the generator. With the widespread power outages, finding gas stations that can pump gas will be the issue. Or places for LP gas.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I went out at 6 AM to get gasoline, waited in a gas line AT LEAST 2 miles long, got home at 1130 AM, but the power crews are out making repairs, may have power back in a few days.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Don’t know which is worse, living with hurricanes in your state or living with tornados in mine.
Certainly not to make light of tornado damage, loss of life etc., but at least tornado damage is restricted to a relatively narrow corridor, outside the zone of destruction, there is support services for the survivors. For a really big hurricane, support is a bit slow in coming. While destruction by tornado may be more "complete", the water issue with hurricanes makes damage and life loss more widespread. Still, I would not like to live in tornado alley!

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I'll say hurricanes are less discriminating, They mess EVERYTHING up! Tornadoes? Well, I remember the one that hit Norman (EF5?) back in the day. One street was nothing but splinters and rubble... Next street over? Just another day in the suburbs...
Norman F5.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Certainly not to make light of tornado damage, loss of life etc., but at least tornado damage is restricted to a relatively narrow corridor, outside the zone of destruction, there is support services for the survivors. For a really big hurricane, support is a bit slow in coming. While destruction by tornado may be more "complete", the water issue with hurricanes makes damage and life loss more widespread. Still, I would not like to live in tornado alley!

This makes sense too me. Did a little fact checking and found some surprising information. When it comes to damage estimates and amount of deaths, from the wide spread destruction of a hurricane and the isolated destruction of a tornado, Hurricanes definitely rule. Louisiana averages how many hurricanes and how often? The last one was Katrina in 2005? So 16 years? Oklahoma averages 52 destructive tornadoes every single year.

This year, only 23 so far. In 2020, 41 and in 2019, 171 tornadoes. Katrina, caused $125 billion in damages and 1,800 deaths. this really surprises me since people have the ability to evacuate days before it hits, where tornadoes, develop suddenly and catch people by surprise and not prepared. Two of the biggest F5 tornadoes we have had cost, $40 million and 1.5 billion respectively.

The top 10 deadliest tornadoes in Oklahoma, killed 556 people. That's just the top 10, and we get an average of 52 a year, where, there may be just, 1 or deaths from some and many, land in open country and are harmless. So no idea what an all time history count would look like.

I know I wouldn't want to experience an earthquake or hurricane, while those who grew up in those states, don't seem to fret about it. I have seen the same here, where people from earthquake or hurricane country, come here and start freaking out when the eery sound of a tornado siren goes off, while the rest of us grab a beer and run outside to look . :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I'll say hurricanes are less discriminating, They mess EVERYTHING up! Tornadoes? Well, I remember the one that hit Norman (EF5?) back in the day. One street was nothing but splinters and rubble... Next street over? Just another day in the suburbs...
View attachment 1321138

When I responded to the Moore/OKC F5 in 2013, It literally looked like a nuclear bomb had been set off. I was standing in the middle of a huge neighborhood that had once expanded for miles in every direction, and was full of thousands of familes living there. I couldn't see anything standing, as far as my eye could see. It looked like someone had dropped me off on Mars.

oklahoma-before-and-after_Story-art_v01_1.jpg

53f57acaef2d1.image.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Actually, our hurricanes are more frequent than that, just not major ones. Usually a couple a year. The locals are somewhat used to them, often having "Hurricane parties" with lots of drinking going on, in fact, there is a drink, famous in the French Quarter, called a "Hurricane" deceptively fruity, but fairly potent! The glasses have the shape of the glass portion of a 'hurricane lamp" and of course are called hurricane glasses.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
where people from earthquake or hurricane country, come here and start freaking out when the eery sound of a tornado siren goes off, while the rest of us grab a beer and run outside to look . :)

I have done this on more than one occasion.
I was roofing a house in 97 when the EF5 tore through Jerrel Tx. We watched (and prayed it didn’t turn toward us) the tornado from a roof about 6 miles away from the tornados path and still didn’t feel safe with all the stuff flying through the air. 27 lives lost. Turned out it was one of the most powerful tornadoes ever recorded up to that point. I was in New Orleans after Katrina and it was devastation everywhere you looked. In Jerrel everything looked normal until you hit that mile wide path, then there was just nothing.

I was in my 6th floor Steeb Hall dorm room at Ohio State in April if 1974. I saw the tornado that hit Xenia some 70 miles away. I respect tornados too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You said it. When I started hospital were run by doctors. They had a business manager but major decisions affecting patient care was controlled and directed by the medical staff. Then the MBA types started and nurses started controllling too much. Makes me glad I no longer work in a hospital, just doing relief work in some local pharmacies, mostly a small regional grocery chain. When I walk in I am totally in charge, and basically follow state and federal law, and a few well known company rules reguarding pharmacy. It's usually on weekends so no one to fall back on or no one to try to give orders. Been doing it that way for about 7 years now and no complaints so all is good.
MBAs are ruining a lot of things in this country.

Not apropos of anything in here, but just wanna give a :thumbup: to the mods. Y'all removed it before I could finish typing a report about it, lol.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Things slowly recovering, shorter lines for gas, a couple more gas stations with gas but many without. (Price of gas is definitely up!) Grocery stores open with limited selection of some food items. Power outage map for my electric company suggests that I might get power in a couple of days. Gonna put some ribs on the grill, plenty of beer, life is good. God is good!

OkieStubble

Things slowly recovering, shorter lines for gas, a couple more gas stations with gas but many without. (Price of gas is definitely up!) Grocery stores open with limited selection of some food items. Power outage map for my electric company suggests that I might get power in a couple of days. Gonna put some ribs on the grill, plenty of beer, life is good. God is good!

So from your posts since the hurricane:

1. You hooked up the Gas Generator

2. Carry a G19 and PCC when out & about

3. Apparently prepared with food storage, hence the ribs on the grill.

4. Plenty of Beer.

This is a perfect portrait of self sufficiency and preparedness. Well done sir!

Top Bottom