What's new

September 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

linty1

My wallet cries.
Still in.

I'm posting my photos into the single edge thread and didn't want to double post the same thing/clutter with repetition. I did get that reknot mailed off (gosh is shipping $$$ these days) and paid for the other purchase yesterday. Done expenditures for September.

Day 2 in September GRUME

PXL_20220902_124051052.jpg

Merkur 34C
Gillette Platinum (9)
Razorock Big Bruce
Pre de Provence Bergamot and Thyme (1st pass)
TOBS Grapefruit (2nd pass)

Hey Guys!
I want to explain my thinking about using two soaps during a shave. This is new for me but my current strategy is to use a clean, calm, slick or neutral soap for the first pass. I like to use a bowl so I can observe the lathering process more closely- and get a whiff of the scent. After the first pass, I squeeze most of the lather out of the brush and add the second soap- something refreshing, exciting, cooling or whatever effect I want. It is really simple and I enjoy the nice sensory transition during the shave.
The "Big Bruce" brush is super soft but doesn't have much backbone. It is dense and holds its shape nicely when applying lather. Thanks to @LJBraaten I am now learning to get extended use out of a blade. Last month I got 16 shaves out of a blade before retiring it. I'm interested in seeing how I do with my current blade.
Today I used cool water throughout and focused on using the lightest "no pressure" strokes possible. The Merkur razor and Big Bruce brush were birthday gifts received last month...even though my birthday is this month.

I started a new thread in the Brotherhood and Clubs section called "2 Scent Shavers" if anyone is interested in reading it.
A lot of you guys are really talented with your photos!

Last edited:
PSA: A random thought just came to me as they tend to do when I'm trying to focus on my day job...

The shaving equipment I need is on the bathroom counter where it's readily accessible while the stuff I wanted is either on a closet shelf or some other out of the way storage location

That is all. Now back to work... :cool:

Last edited:
Day 2 in September GRUME

View attachment 1515737

Merkur 34C
Gillette Platinum (9)
Razorock Big Bruce

Hey Guys!
I want to explain my thinking about using two soaps during a shave. This is new for me but my current strategy is to use a clean, calm, slick or neutral soap for the first pass. I like to use a bowl so I can observe the lathering process more closely- and get a whiff of the scent. After the first pass, I squeeze most of the lather out of the brush and add the second soap- something refreshing, exciting, cooling or whatever effect I want. It is really simple and I enjoy the nice sensory transition during the shave.
The "Big Bruce" brush is super soft but doesn't have much backbone. It is dense and holds its shape nicely when applying lather. Thanks to @LJBraaten I am now learning to get extended use out of a blade. Last month I got 16 shaves out of a blade before retiring it. I'm interested in seeing how I do with my current blade.
Today I used cool water throughout and focused on using the lightest "no pressure" strokes possible. The Merkur razor and Big Bruce brush were birthday gifts received last month...even though my birthday is this month.

I started a new thread in the Brotherhood and Clubs section called "2 Scent Shavers" if anyone is interested in reading it.
That is an interesting change in your shaving process. It never would have come to my mind. Thanks for sharing.

Pls keep us posted with the experience you make in the upcoming weeks of shaving this way...

Beautiful setup and picture! What is your brush?
Thanks mate. The handle is made of Chechen (Carribean rosewood), which was brilliantly crafted by Graydog. The handle is matched with a Shavemac D01 Silvertip Badger 28mm.

It serves its intended purpose: it puts a smile on my face every single time I use it. For this reason it's a very special and heart touching piece of equipment for me. A preciousness.
@Graydog 🤩

Last edited:
Day 2 in September GRUME

View attachment 1515737

Merkur 34C
Gillette Platinum (9)
Razorock Big Bruce

Hey Guys!

I also have the Big Bruce, I like it, wish Synthetic had a little more backbone!!! Oh well it's great at what it does. You can't make a Synthetic a Boar!

Date:03.09.2022
Focused participations:3/30 Days in GRUME (3.3% completed and formally out)
246/246 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Razor:Razorine Flatboy 72
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (1)
Brush:DVH synthetic badger
Soap:TGS Orange Empire
Bowl:Proraso Green
Preshave:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Proraso Green (A/S)
Proraso Green (Balm)
Passes:WTG (NE-SW)
XTG (W-E)
ATG (S-N)
Efficiency:6/10 (30 minutes)
Quality:5/10 (Multiple weepers)
Comfort:5/10 (Tugging)
Effectiveness:9/10 (BBS)

Well I won the bay bid and now the waiting process begins. If all goes well a NEW with common bar handle in gold should be arriving in October. Technically my 5th vintage, but my 3rd DE. I bought it for the handle though.

I am still on a learning curve regarding the Razorine. The best angle is neither steep nor shallow it appears and definitely straight forward strokes only. I stopped using slanted strokes with this razor, because most the weepers were a result of technique. Blade combination is not right either. I have loaded her with a Dorco Titan for tomorrow and the Gillette 365 seemed to yield good shaves too if I remember correctly. This one does not so much. And it’s not the blade itself because in other razors it performs quite well - although there is a reason why I have not stocked up on this blade beyond 100.

The end results funnily enough are amazing:BBS. But redness on the neck and burning sensation on the cheeks is less fun.

Changed handles for the last pass to see if the rather heavy stock handle is part of the problem. The Razorine does change with the Gillette fat handle I used and becomes more nimble. Not sure if that also means less aggressive. More mileage is needed for that conclusion.

We experience, we observe, we learn.

Top Bottom