What's new

September 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in!

Gillette Tech/Shark Super Chrome
Wild West Brushworks 26mm 2-band
Stirling Bay Rum soap
Clubman VIBR

Waiting for the kids to get ready so we can do a little fishing today. Enjoy the rest of your weekend my friends!

20220904_094931.jpg

Sept. 4th GRUME

PXL_20220904_134858394.jpg

Rockwell 6S, plate 4
Gillette Platinum (10)
AP G5C knot
Cella Almond

Good Day Gents
K.I.S.S. shave today before church. I thought about using the Feather Popular razor but the Rockwell is so dependable. I considered the Barrister and Mann Burnt Orange. In the end I just kept it simple with the Cella.
The rubber bowl is nice, there are no clanking noises. All I hear is the swishing of the brush while making lather. Plus the texture in the bottom helps to create the lather. The G5C brush was smooth and holds its fan shape while applying lather.

The Arkansas Razorbacks won their football game yesterday. Go Hogs! (Sorry Cincinnati fans)

I'm in. The wife still suffers from Covid aftermath, so I need to spend less time here.
Need to do all kind of things she usually does, but no complaints here: I'm a lucky man to have here as my wife 😌

1) FoolishMortal - SOTM
2) Balin
3) Tjsgarden
4) JAHE
5) sarir97
6) Doti B
7) Markdad2
8) bjm
9) Sandorfi - SOTM
10) Virtus3
11) kjbarth - GRUYERE
12) silverlfiter
13) Guido75
14) LMcC
15) cryhavoc
16) Iver
17) markmc
18) hopper_64
19) linty1
20) elmo_koffman
21) ljbraaten
22) Cantujm
23) ChriWilson - (SOTM)
24) Stuart Ganis
25) 2bit_collie
26) Roedeer
27) Jack Goossen

Day 4 - Still in

Another excellent shave today, BBS without any irritation. First shave with new brush and it already was really soft. It will become even softer in a couple of shaves, so I'm happy with that. I use Speick since the middle of August, so I got it dialed in. I love the scent of this cream.

Stay out of trouble and enjoy your shaves guys 😉

Brush: Stando maple wood SHD 2-band badger
Razor: Stando Zoria
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (3)
Preshave: lavender bar soap
Cream: Speick
Aftershave: Speick Active

20220904SOTD.png

SOTD #3
Still In !
  • Clubman Pre-Shave
  • SV 70th (SOTM)
  • Simpson’s Duke3 - Best
  • Mühle R89
  • Nacet (2)
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Proraso Green Splash
  • No Post-Shave Balm
Another wonderful shave this morning. I may have to look into 70th AS sometime this year. Such a lovely fragrance. I’ve reinforced my previous findings that while Nacet is a fantastic shave, it’s really better than average in my R89. It performs great in this combo, but not as excellent as in my more aggressive razors.

SV is the best soap I've tried so far, although MWF holds up very well as my standard workhorse.
It really is very, very good.
Of the 4 I own, I have only used the 70th in 4.1 Beta. Cosmo, Dolomiti, and Cubebe round out my SV arsenal in 4.2 or above.

Still in for SEptember GRUME.
3-pass BBS shave: Haslinger Calendula, Vector, Kai Captain Titan Mild (3), Shavemac 2-band Silvertip, Proraso Green.

Mild irritation, which I suspect may be brush burn. This Shavemac is new to me, purchased last month. I don’t remember B&B reviews mentioning anything about prickly tips! Perhaps it needs to be more broken in?

DD90DCE2-169A-4CC9-B450-D58614882F97.jpeg

Day 4, 13.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 OC, Al Handle, Astra SP #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Used a fresh Astra in the open comb Game Changer. Mowing everything down WTG is fun with this one, and then some selective XTG gets a presentable "work" shave. The safety bar version is still my favourite for everyday multi-pass use.

I'd recommend it to you as long as you don’t expect Wolfman efficiency here. However, she's totally balanced and easy on the skin (my skin ;) ), it's great fun shaving with this thing. Unlike Jaws .84 OC there's absolutely no harshness with the regular GC .84 OC.

The thing I was not so keen on was using it ATG, particularly on my neck. The safety bar version is a lot more comfortable. I guessed those JAWS plates were not for me!

If anyone has a handle and top cap, the OC plate should only be ~ £30 to try, plus postage etc, and have a resale value. I got mine second-hand.

PS, reviewing that, mine isn't for sale.:001_rolle

Last edited:
Morning shave
Pre-shave: Warm shower
Razor: Rockwell 6C (5)
Blade: Treet Platinum
Brush: Aimpsons Commodoee X3
Soap: Wickhams Citrus Musk
Post-Shave: Alum Block
Williams Acqua Velva Ice Blue AS Solash
Nivea Protect and Care ASB
Trumper GFT Cologne

1st time using the Commodore in an age and it performed admirably. Razor and blade also lperformed admirably yielding a BBS result.
Did have to go back to the puck a couple of times despite loading heavily IMO. Maybe need to use the soap a bit more regularly to get the soap/water ratio right.
All in all s pleasant shave.

Stay safe people 😎😎😎

Day 4, 13.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 OC, Al Handle, Astra SP #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Used a fresh Astra in the open comb Game Changer.
The thing I was not so keen on was using it ATG, particularly on my neck. The safety bar version is a lot more comfortable.
i haven't tried the GC .84 SB plate to date. And frankly, I assume this won’t change anytime soon, since the GC .84 OC plate checks all the boxes for me if I'm after a smooth shave.

I guessed those JAWS plates were not for me!
I'd assume you are correct as far as the .84 JAWS is concerned.

For me, the .84 JAWS wasn’t a step up in efficiency. Couldn't tell the results apart. The amount of teeths is higher with the regular OC, so perhaps this translates into a higher level of shaving comfort. I eventually sold the JAWS plate and added a Lupo .95OC instead. THAT made a difference in terms of efficiency. 🤪

I really enjoy these razors with interchangeable plates for their ability to offer "customized" options for every face.

Date:05.09.2022
Focused participations:5/30 Days in GRUME (3.3% completed and formally out)
248/248 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Razor:R41
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (4)
Brush:Omega Super Badger
Soap:Dutchy Bergamot
Bowl:Proraso Green
Preshave:Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Floïd’s the Genuine (A/S)
Nivea (Balm)
Passes:WTG
XTG
ATG (half)
Efficiency:8/10 (20 minutes)
Quality:8/10 (Minor weepers)
Comfort:9/10 (Smooth)
Effectiveness:8.5/10 (BBS-)

Mühle Monday with the R41. Smooth and easy is all I can say. Two easy passes, a touch up pass and I was done. This proves that the blade is effective and smooth depending on the razor. And again although is has a reputation, I find the R41 to be one of my favorite razors. Buttery smooth.

Top Bottom