What's new

September 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Done @Stuart Ganis

1) FoolishMortal - SOTM
2) Balin
3) Tjsgarden
4) JAHE
5) sarir97
6) Doti B
7) Markdad2
8) bjm
9) Sandorfi - SOTM
10) Virtus3
11) kjbarth - GRUYERE
12) silverlfiter
13) Guido75
14) LMcC
15) cryhavoc
16) Iver
17) markmc
18) hopper_64
19) linty1
20) elmo_koffman
21) ljbraaten
22) Cantujm
23) ChriWilson - (SOTM)
24) Stuart Ganis
25)

And, @2bit_collie, I would add myself to the list, go for the razor I want, declare myself out and remain with the group for the rest of the month.

Not liking is usually the best strategy. So do you really need another / this particular razor? Is it on your “o if that one comes available, I am gonna” list (eg a Lambda razor)?

Best,

Guido

Guido75 and @Roedeer

OK I’m in. And yes, I don’t really need the auctioned razor that much. I may snag a BIN later today, but come tomorrow I am back on the wagon!

1) FoolishMortal - SOTM
2) Balin
3) Tjsgarden
4) JAHE
5) sarir97
6) Doti B
7) Markdad2
8) bjm
9) Sandorfi - SOTM
10) Virtus3
11) kjbarth - GRUYERE
12) silverlfiter
13) Guido75
14) LMcC
15) cryhavoc
16) Iver
17) markmc
18) hopper_64
19) linty1
20) elmo_koffman
21) ljbraaten
22) Cantujm
23) ChriWilson - (SOTM)
24) Stuart Ganis
25) 2bit_collie

Managed to talk some sense into myself, so I'll sign up,

1) FoolishMortal - SOTM
2) Balin
3) Tjsgarden
4) JAHE
5) sarir97
6) Doti B
7) Markdad2
8) bjm
9) Sandorfi - SOTM
10) Virtus3
11) kjbarth - GRUYERE
12) silverlfiter
13) Guido75
14) LMcC
15) cryhavoc
16) Iver
17) markmc
18) hopper_64
19) linty1
20) elmo_koffman
21) ljbraaten
22) Cantujm
23) ChriWilson - (SOTM)
24) Stuart Ganis
25) 2bit_collie
26) Roedeer
27)

Starting the month with:
Timeless Bronze/Personna Lab Blue
Stirling Coconut Lime soap and aftershave
RV Persian Jar brush with a Shavemac Silvertip knot

20220901_063804.jpg

1st shave during September GRUME

PXL_20220901_144853846.jpg

Jagger 89
Gillette Platinum (7?)
AKA Brushworx (G5C knot)
Proraso Sensitive (1st pass)
Nivea Sensitive (2nd pass)

Hey Guys
It's good to be back in GRUME. Last month I went on a shaving spending spree and definitely think I need more restraint when considering shaving items. This month I also want to be more thoughtful and use good judgement on other things I buy. One (slight) justification for the new goodies in August is because this month I will have my 68th birthday. All the purchases last month are considered my birthday presents.

Last month I had fun during Arko August. I kinda got in the habit of using one cream/soap during the first pass and a different soap during the second pass. In my experience, this enhances my shaving satisfaction and enjoyment. And so it was today. I had a great shave! The AKA brush was soft, luxurious and applied the cream smoothly. Both creams claim to be good for sensitive skin but today I give the edge to the Nivea. To be fair, the next time I use this pairing together, I will use the Nivea first and see if that makes a difference. During the entire shave I used cool water.
Tip: I keep a liner in the trash basket and always squeeze the excess lather in the waste basket to prevent the drain from getting clogged.

I look forward to reading everybody's experience this month.

Last edited:
Date:01.09.2022
Focused participations:1/30 Days in GRUME (3.3% completed)
244/244 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Razor:Gillette English Flat Bottom NEW
Blade:Tiger Platinum (3)
Brush:Omega Proraso
Soap:TGS Orange Empire
Bowl:Proraso
Preshave:Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Proraso Green (Balm)
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) | Gillette Slant and Gillette Slide
XTG (W-E) | Sideways Gillette Slant
ATG (S-N) | Slightly Gillette Slanted
Efficiency:7/10 (25 minutes)
Quality:10/10 (Clean as a whistle)
Comfort:7/10 (Ok)
Effectiveness:8/10 (DFS)

Blade might be smoothing out. Not super effective still, but a more comfortable shave. I tried the NEW with a KCG handle the other day and I believe my shave benefited from the lather and heavier handle. Today was the smaller handle again and now I noticed little difference. I still think it is a wee small handle - both in diameter and length. Even though the fat handle is actually just 3 grams heavier it looks more substantial. Maybe it is just my mind. I would like a common handle on it. Somehow that looks better than the stick handle and the fat handle too.

Soap is great and lathers nicely but during lathering soap residue remains unlathered. Definitely do not like that.

Good shave today.

SOTD #1
  • Clubman Pre-Shave
  • SV 70th (SOTM)
  • Adam Grooming's Pure Badger
  • Mühle R89
  • Rapira Swedish Steel (2) - Binned
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Barrister & Mann's Seville Splash
  • No Post-Shave Balm
Great shave this morning; 2 passes in anyways. Third pass experienced some unexpected tugging and uncharacteristic, yet minor weeps on the ATG stroke. Nothing the Kiehl's Blue didn't rectify, but I always take notice when I have to bin a blade earlier than expected.
All that aside, the monthly change in soap was brilliant as expected. Super rich with a great post-shave feel.

IMG_8166.JPG

Still in 😜

20220901_130727-01-01-01-01.jpeg

Let's kick off the month with some good news.
Had a great shave and 3017ed a soap today... The sticker on the underside of the tub confirmed how long it took me to finish these 5.7 Oz of goodness. In use since April 2019. 🤐
That's the downside of my "sucker for variation" soap rotation approach.

Btw, scooping soap into a bowl helps to keep the soap as fresh as on day one. Safe for the final three shaves this tub has not seen any wet brush. 😎

Here's the evidence:
20220901_131130-01.jpeg

#Orange ChKill

Day 1

It feels good to be back on GRUME. I had a perfect shave today. I'm currently 3017ing a tube of Speick cream, so I guess I'm a part of Speicktember now 😁 Amazing start of a new month.

Brush: Stando amazaque wood 2-band badger
Razor: Stando Zoria
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (2)
Preshave: lavender bar soap
Cream: Speick
Aftershave: Proraso Green + Proraso White balm

Happy shaves guys. It's good to see you here 🙃

20220901SOTD.jpg

Top Bottom