What's new

September 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I was sooooo good about this stuff until the 3rd of August when I joined here! Other than replacing or adding the occasional soap or cream, I hadn't bought a razor or brush or blades in years. Since that fateful day, however, I've bought a 1963 Gillette Slim razor (I'd always wanted one but was restrained), 3-400 new blades I hadn't tried, three brushes, and a few other items. But I also learned about a few new places to shop and tried Proraso green splash and aftershave (used Proraso shaving cream for years, both green and sandalwood) fr the first time. Oh, and Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel (which is a great product as an aftershave) and lo and behold, on sale at Costco this month!

I think I'm about full up as there's no more space in my share of the bathroom. Of course, there's the mostly unused guest bath...

Anyway, I ain't takin' no pledge, no way, no how!

Thinking about the September GRUME, but for some reason I am wanting to get a vintage Lather Catcher. Anyone have one they would consider trading? I have a few things I could get rid of, including a nice Parker Variant (adjustable). If interested PM me, I can offer the usual pictures with identity as required in the BST forum.

linty1

My wallet cries.
1) FoolishMortal - SOTM
2) Balin
3) Tjsgarden
4) JAHE
5) sarir97
6) Doti B
7) Markdad2
8) bjm
9) Sandorfi - SOTM
10) Virtus3
11) kjbarth - GRUYERE
12) silverlfiter
13) Guido75
14) LMcC
15) cryhavoc
16) Iver
17) markmc
18) hopper_64
19) linty1
20)

I'm in! I have a package ready to send off for a brush I need reknotting that I'll send on the 1st but other than that, good to go.

Hey all! I skipped this August (and didn't buy anything funny enough) but will be opting out of this September because I'll be going in on a Stirling order with my dad sometime in the month. Will be avoiding any other purchases, however.

Wishing you all best of luck in September!

I just finished a puck of Mike’s soap, I still have an unopened one. Before I dip into that, I decided to try the pungent smelling and brown lather soap that a friend discarded on me. I tried this afternoon, I can tolerate it. I will probably not use it all up, instead save it as a backup between soap orders. Besides, it makes a good room deodorizer (funny how a concentrated questionable odor is not that odious when diffused in a large space!) I haven’t decided yet whether or not I will restock my soap on September 1. Mike’s is fairly hit and miss.
Meanwhile, back at the sink, shave #80 on my Feather Blade with my Tech and Barrister & Mann’s Adagio. A DFS!

I just finished a puck of Mike’s soap, I still have an unopened one. Before I dip into that, I decided to try the pungent smelling and brown lather soap that a friend discarded on me. I tried this afternoon, I can tolerate it. I will probably not use it all up, instead save it as a backup between soap orders. Besides, it makes a good room deodorizer (funny how a concentrated questionable odor is not that odious when diffused in a large space!) I haven’t decided yet whether or not I will restock my soap on September 1. Mike’s is fairly hit and miss.
Meanwhile, back at the sink, shave #80 on my Feather Blade with my Tech and Barrister & Mann’s Adagio. A DFS!

I always enjoy your post. #80!!!!!!!!:a14: I was proud of myself for hitting #16 on the same blade.

@FoolishMortal
Is a quarterly sabbatical something separate from participating in three successive GRUMEs?

(I am interested in “documented exceptions.”
Once again I am interested in getting a honing device which can be used for single edged blades and knives, etc, but given the nature of the auction I can’t buy it on September 1.)

@FoolishMortal
Is a quarterly sabbatical something separate from participating in three successive GRUMEs?

(I am interested in “documented exceptions.”
Once again I am interested in getting a honing device which can be used for single edged blades and knives, etc, but given the nature of the auction I can’t buy it on September 1.)
Yes, it's different, though I don't know if there's a Quarterly thread going at the moment. In the past, I have seen both Quarterly and Yearly sabbatical threads, along with a Quad (four months) and a thread for - I think - a decade-long sabbatical.

You could (a) revive the Quarterly or (b) commit yourself to three GRUMEs at a time. Really, it's all about what you want/need to do. :)

1) FoolishMortal - SOTM
2) Balin
3) Tjsgarden
4) JAHE
5) sarir97
6) Doti B
7) Markdad2
8) bjm
9) Sandorfi - SOTM
10) Virtus3
11) kjbarth - GRUYERE
12) silverlfiter
13) Guido75
14) LMcC
15) cryhavoc
16) Iver
17) markmc
18) hopper_64
19) linty1
20) elmo_koffman
21) ljbraaten
22)

I’m in. I thought about not joining this month because I will probably make a purchase. As a failed member I can still visit you as a repentant and reformed fallen brother who promises to do better for the rest of the month. 🙏

I'm in. I survived June and July's restraint but didn't participate in August's because we were moving across the country. Finally in our new home and back to joining the monthly restraints.

1) FoolishMortal - SOTM
2) Balin
3) Tjsgarden
4) JAHE
5) sarir97
6) Doti B
7) Markdad2
8) bjm
9) Sandorfi - SOTM
10) Virtus3
11) kjbarth - GRUYERE
12) silverlfiter
13) Guido75
14) LMcC
15) cryhavoc
16) Iver
17) markmc
18) hopper_64
19) linty1
20) elmo_koffman
21) ljbraaten
22) Cantujm
23)

OK, so I got a question…
I blew the August GRUME in the final days, thinking about signing up for September. But since I already blew August, I am thinking about buying a razor before September kicks in.

Looking at eBay. I have 2 choices.
1) There is a razor I’m interested in that is Buy it Now. So I could just purchase tomorrow and be clean for September. That seems straight forward
2) There are a few interesting razors that have auctions that won’t end until early September. A thought is that I could put in a bid August 31st and then not do any more bidding win or lose once we hit September 1st. But the reality is that if I won I wouldn’t be paying until September. So I am thinking that sort of situation counts as a fail. Is that correct?

Of course the other option is to just suck it up and not look at eBay for another month :)

Top Bottom