What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Following up the previous poster with my much humbler acquisition, the sub-$3.00 Gillette Tech which arrived today. It's out of the packaging, loaded with the included Gillette Blue blade, and ready for tomorrow's shaving action.
I'm in love with this razor (which I today noticed is actually called the Gillette Super Blue), so I bought two more and 100 Super Blue blades. I wish I'd known about this razor years ago, I would've saved a lot of money over the past several years.

I got this in the mail today. Can anyone help me confirm that it’s a gold plated double ring? The serial number reads “118645” and I can’t tell if it says Pat App or anything at the bottom of the handle because the plating is pretty thick there. Also I took pictures on a blue rag and it really made the gold stand out so I also took a reference pic on white.
2C59940B-AAA1-4C69-B232-093C56E45903.jpeg
340DF994-E3F7-4EBA-B5DA-4DD87203355B.jpeg
0AEE7922-B0B7-427D-9DCF-EB935D840799.jpeg
A0472DBB-DBF8-4B88-92F5-F2C751AF9824.jpeg

R

romsitsa

Hello, it's silver plated, the "gold" areas are raw brass. It has a 1905 serial, so should have Pat.Nov.15.04.
Nice.
Ps: Afaik no gold plated DR showed up, although they could exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, it's silver plated, the "gold" areas are raw brass. It has a 1905 serial, so should have Pat.Nov.15.04.
Nice.
Ps: Afaik no gold plated DR showed up, although they could exist.
I can assure you that the gold is plated and it’s brass underneath. That I’m sure of. Whether or not it’s an original is the question. I can take better photos if needed.

R

romsitsa

Look at the top and bottom of the handle, it has tarnished silver (black) and "gold". It is impossible to plate metal that patchy even if you use a barrier between gold and silver.
The knob is also noticeably worn down, so not a factory finish. But then the iner tube part has the usual wear pattern of the original silver. The only explanation, if the knob is gold, would be dipping it into gold, but this isn't how plating works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the top and bottom of the handle, it has tarnished silver (black) and "gold". It is impossible to plate metal that patchy even if you use a barrier between gold and silver.
The knob is also noticeably worn down, so not a factory finish. But then the iner tube part has the usual wear pattern of the original silver. The only explanation, if the knob is gold, would be dipping it into gold, but this isn't how plating works.
I can definitely get on board with that explanation. It would have been replated long ago. I have pictures from before I bathed it in hot water and mild dish soap. Which honestly I had no idea there was good because it was so dirty and tarnished.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I can definitely get on board with that explanation. It would have been replated long ago. I have pictures from before I bathed it in hot water and mild dish soap. Which honestly I had no idea there was good because it was so dirty and tarnished.
Still a great score. I'd send it to Cap and Chris to get it spiffed up. Well worth it in my opinion.

Top Bottom