What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Thanks for the thread pointer! "G in bullet" wasn't going to get me there... or any place near.

Awesome Leresche, by the way! :001_wub:

So my reading is that the "G in D" clearly is Gillette's mark for plated metal goods exported to France. G for Gillette, the D is a French standard/regulation to distinguish plated goods from pure precious metal goods. So this 1920 Single Ring either moved from France to Montana, or was mistakenly sold into the US market.

I vote that it is well-travelled. France in the 1920s was a popular and affordable destination for US travellers and expats, I think. Leave your Gillette in a hotel, pick up another. If there was an entire Lost Generation, there would have been a few Lost Gillettes as well.

View attachment 1138897
View attachment 1138898
Either way it was a fun acquisition. Most of the weird dark coating/paint soaked off with Dawn and a little toothbrushing. The rest of the cleanup required some Wright's silver polish.
The Single Rings give great shaves! Nice find!

The Flat Bottom arrived from England today. It had a little crud on it but seems to be very nice. I used some borax soak and a toothbrush followed by a little Flitz. It needs a few more minutes of Flitz in some detail sections but it looks pretty good! @Flying Dutchman thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

B15204D4-18AC-4198-A91B-84A80DCDBB7C.jpeg
B2F8FFE5-BE87-4553-BEFD-3FC0E8044C86.jpeg

The Flat Bottom arrived from England today. It had a little crud on it but seems to be very nice. I used some borax soak and a toothbrush followed by a little Flitz. It needs a few more minutes of Flitz in some detail sections but it looks pretty good! @Flying Dutchman thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

View attachment 1139453View attachment 1139454

That looks like an very good and clean English flat bottem tech 👍. You should have it ready before the King Gillette weekend thread.
Enjoy.

Enjoy Richard, really glad you like it. It is a superb shaver. And your other one is magnificent too!! - looks new! I think you are right that this one is a #15, but I am no expert. Lets hear from others, e.g. mr-razor, Achim is the go-to also for Rotbarts! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

...Oh, and superb photos, sir!

Picked these up solely for the ABC pocket edition. It has a beautiful patina that I am not going to polish up.
The travel razor cleaned up nicely and has a pristine pre-war tech head. Also re-felted the inside of the box.
Here’s some before and after cleaning pics.

Before:
BE7D6EB2-0D06-42E6-9D16-D4299D26FBB1.jpeg

After:
14BEE900-DCC3-4808-ADA4-655B1B2168CD.jpeg

524E0B99-8D04-4BAE-9D3F-69DA18777245.jpeg

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Today was a good day :)
I was driving home when I saw a new second hand shop, and I had to stop.
For 5 Euros I got a really nice English Ball End Tech in a very good condition and an old Swedish Matador Precision where the baseplate and top cap was in a very good condition but the handle was so so with the plating coming off.
But I have two other Matador razors with good handles so that is not a problem.

The Tech is heavier and bigger than my other English Ball End and you can see on the pic that the handle is a few mm longer.
My other Ball End is very light and made of aluminum, I don't know what material my "new" Ball End is made of, if it's brass or steel?

All I have to do now is to get them cleaned up and start using them ;)

G1.jpgG2.jpgG3.jpgG4.jpgM1.jpgM2.jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Charcoal Good SS Lvl2 on the way. Delivery date is scheduled for this Wednesday. Hoping for good things. This will be my most aggressive razor. Everything else I have is mild. Have to step up and see if this will provide a better experience.

Today was a good day :)
I was driving home when I saw a new second hand shop, and I had to stop.
For 5 Euros I got a really nice English Ball End Tech in a very good condition and an old Swedish Matador Precision where the baseplate and top cap was in a very good condition but the handle was so so with the plating coming off.
But I have two other Matador razors with good handles so that is not a problem.

The Tech is heavier and bigger than my other English Ball End and you can see on the pic that the handle is a few mm longer.
My other Ball End is very light and made of aluminum, I don't know what material my "new" Ball End is made of, if it's brass or steel?

All I have to do now is to get them cleaned up and start using them ;)

View attachment 1141204View attachment 1141205View attachment 1141206View attachment 1141207View attachment 1141208View attachment 1141209
Brass. Nice Tech!

R

romsitsa

Second, I think this is a 1950s Rotbart Mond Extra model 15 in a leather case, again in superb condition. Can anyone confirm what I have? Thank you.

View attachment 1140182

It's a 30-40ies 5021 set. Nr 15 is a nickname for the razor based on a cardboard shipper, Roth&Büchner only numbered the sets.
The Nr 15 is a later mid war or even post war set as the Mond-Extra is already deleted from the emblem (happened around 1942).

Top Bottom