What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
2 Fatip Grande razors
1 Fatip Classic Lo Storto Open Comb
20200903_103013_kindlephoto-13696555.jpg

Yesterday after a long break, I stopped by a small flea market in a little town that I was doing some work in. As I was walking out the door, after not finding anything, the nice lady behind the counter asking if I was looking for anything in particular. I told her I was looking for razors. She said she knew a barber wanting to sell his 30 year collection of barber stuff. She said, if I was interested, leave my number and she would have him call me. Not thinking anything would come of it, I left my number. About 10 minutes later, my phone rang. After a short conversation, I turned around. In the back room of his shop, he had several tubs of stuff. He let go through them and pick out what I wanted. The problem is, his collecting and my collecting are two different things. He had a lot of stuff but a lot of it was old scissors, shears, and rusted straight razors. But I was able to find a few diamonds in the rough. Sorry about rambling, here's some of what I brought home.

View attachment 1149411

I didn't include the Single Edge razors and another display of 20 packs of Blue Blades just like the one in the picture.

I live in the wrong place... All the old folks sell everything off before moving down here :(
But I did find a very nice 1952 Super Speed in the original case with blades, cardboard insert and instructions back in July. My first antique mall/flea market find. Hove only picked up 4 more razors and an Old Spice mug since then at 2 other flea malls.

I live in the wrong place... All the old folks sell everything off before moving down here :(
But I did find a very nice 1952 Super Speed in the original case with blades, cardboard insert and instructions back in July. My first antique mall/flea market find. Hove only picked up 4 more razors and an Old Spice mug since then at 2 other flea malls.

Congrats!

Today, I received what is definitely the crappiest razor I’ve ever bought. I saw it a couple of weeks ago on eBay while searching for an iKon handle, priced at just over £16.00. (Around $20?) I could tell it was rubbish, but what caught my eye was the description:

“HANDLE WEIGHT IN GRAM=179G
HANDLE WEIGHT IN OUNCES=6.3OZ
HANDLE LENGTH IN MM=100MM
HANDLE LENGTH IN INCHES=3.93"

179 grams? And under 4 inches long? And advertised as Stainless Steel? Well it piqued my curiosity; I wandered off, bought an iKon Bulldog II, and then after a few days, as you do, thought, ‘I must have a punt, if only to see what the handle’s like.’ So by the magic of the internet, I tapped on the iPad a few times, and today the postie pushed it through the letterbox.

The case is rubbish. Razor head likewise:

331CE10F-516D-42AC-9AE9-3A1B62E2CE59.jpeg

Now, I was right about the high crappy factor - except for the handle! For the price especially, it’s cracking! Although it isn’t 179 grams at all (that‘s the total), but a still reasonable 105 grams (3.7 oz). And it’s actually 77mm (3.04”), which makes it a nice stubby handle. As for the quality, well it’s very nicely made, knurling pretty even and well defined, and no visible flaws. It feels very comfortable and weighty to hold. Here it is on its own, and with the iKon Bulldog handle and my RR German 37 (HD handle) for comparison.

A7277EE3-2118-47E2-8A92-C8E210FE94A0.jpeg

I’ve tried it with some other 3 piece razors, and the threads work fine. So the head will go to the back of the draw, but the handle will be pressed into service!

All in all, I’m happy!

Here’s a link: EXTRA HEAVY DUTY Safety Razor Double Edge Razors Blades Classic Shaving | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTRA-HEAVY-DUTY-Safety-Razor-Double-Edge-Razors-Blades-Classic-Shaving/253667349705?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I notice the price is going up - they’ll be competing with ATT soon! 🙄🙄🙄
Get yours now! 😝😝😝

Attachments

• C12286B1-15D4-4C9C-8E25-2C76C45FF340.jpeg
    C12286B1-15D4-4C9C-8E25-2C76C45FF340.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 6B688F60-FDB4-48E6-8508-A9D1D17FF037.jpeg
    6B688F60-FDB4-48E6-8508-A9D1D17FF037.jpeg
    13.6 KB · Views: 5

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thank you Adam. This was pure luck, I haven't been in a flea market or antique shop in at least a year. One day I just turned off the switch, then Tuesday I had a feeling I should stop in.

I'm sure you'll find what you want someday, if I recall, you've been pretty lucky yourself. 😉
Yes, thank you! I have been blessed.
You have stoked my fire, and am comtemplating venturing out.

I did pick up a fairly decent Sheraton case with a MMOC in it online the other day. Been wanting a case for mine. Pics to follow.

P.S. How many more til you catch Chris???

French deliveries - The long-awaited stunning Pre-#15 set (non-winged centerbar) French set arrived from a friend in the US, literally looks like new and not from 1936. And from France arrived the quite rare original 1950s French case which was only made for a short while and offered in the local market with a 3rd generation Aristocrat razor. I had the matching blade bank ready and for the photo put in one of my other 3rd gen razors to show what the set ultimately will look like. Now the hunt starts for a razor to fit
😄

23C041A7-E15B-4993-818F-632C25E94EC6.jpeg
AE5FDDA1-6075-40B3-88E7-1069E40D7AC3.jpeg
B833E9B1-4596-4479-B3DA-36BAF7909884.jpeg
52BA6E6E-A9FD-448C-8F0A-4163A0DB46CE.jpeg
BAF61213-E1FD-4D9E-AD34-8B2732FB1795.jpeg
349FBEBC-5B09-4D69-A749-111BFD82F071.jpeg

Yesterday after a long break, I stopped by a small flea market in a little town that I was doing some work in. As I was walking out the door, after not finding anything, the nice lady behind the counter asking if I was looking for anything in particular. I told her I was looking for razors. She said she knew a barber wanting to sell his 30 year collection of barber stuff. She said, if I was interested, leave my number and she would have him call me. Not thinking anything would come of it, I left my number. About 10 minutes later, my phone rang. After a short conversation, I turned around. In the back room of his shop, he had several tubs of stuff. He let go through them and pick out what I wanted. The problem is, his collecting and my collecting are two different things. He had a lot of stuff but a lot of it was old scissors, shears, and rusted straight razors. But I was able to find a few diamonds in the rough. Sorry about rambling, here's some of what I brought home.

View attachment 1149411

I didn't include the Single Edge razors and another display of 20 packs of Blue Blades just like the one in the picture.

WOW Mike, score!!! Love the story behind it too! ...Would never happen here though ...

French deliveries - The long-awaited stunning Pre-#15 set (non-winged centerbar) French set arrived from a friend in the US, literally looks like new and not from 1936. And from France arrived the quite rare original 1950s French case which was only made for a short while and offered in the local market with a 3rd generation Aristocrat razor. I had the matching blade bank ready and for the photo put in one of my other 3rd gen razors to show what the set ultimately will look like. Now the hunt starts for a razor to fit
😄

View attachment 1150456View attachment 1150457View attachment 1150458View attachment 1150459View attachment 1150460View attachment 1150461

That blue lining is counterfeit, I am afraid, Peter... :001_tt2:

Henson AL13 razor
This razor can be adjusted for aggression by turning the handle open or closed similar to Phoenix Shaving Asension. The built in washed on the bottom plate allows this. I don't think even Henson realized this. I turned the handle 3/4 open without blade chatter except the exposure is incredible at least 9/10 .
IMG_0494.JPG

Top Bottom