What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I just got my 88 l2 plastic bottom black beauty came in. It was really dirty but I came home and cleaned it up and it is in good shape as far as I can tell though the last quarter turn lock is kinda tight but I put some 3-1 oil down the center to try to loosen it up and to get rid or the squeak it has. After taking these pictures I found a few spots that still needs cleaning and some some polishing maybe to get rid of the water spots on top. That being said I have an 82 on its way also so this one may end up going b/s/t section.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I got one almost like that except mine has a metal base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got one almost like that except mine has a metal base

I want a metal base one as well, the short one, and a plastic bottom with the older style knurling oh and a silver slim and lastly a toggle and I will have the main stream adjustable set lol.

They Do clean up nice, Don't they..... :001_cool:

Enjoy! :clap:
Yes they do if you take the time to clean them up. This one looked like someone had left a blade in there for a long time because it had rust stains in it where the blade goes and all the soap scum as you can see from the blue picture

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
My most recent purchase arrived today, earlier than expected.

View attachment 805486 View attachment 805487

Nice condition for $15.50 delivered.

I just got my 88 l2 plastic bottom black beauty came in. It was really dirty but I came home and cleaned it up and it is in good shape as far as I can tell though the last quarter turn lock is kinda tight but I put some 3-1 oil down the center to try to loosen it up and to get rid or the squeak it has. After taking these pictures I found a few spots that still needs cleaning and some some polishing maybe to get rid of the water spots on top. That being said I have an 82 on its way also so this one may end up going b/s/t section.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Very nice scores, gents!

I briefly had a 1978 BB over a year ago, and at the time, felt it had way too much blade feel and sold it. After seeing Big-John's (Mad Scientist of Wet Shaving) review, I'd wished I hadn't sold it, as I wanted to revisit that razor. This one is close in year, having no date code (zero, nada, zip), it must be post 1976, having a black adjustment plate, so best guess is around 1977 during the switch from metal to composite plates. Now with a change or improvement in technique, a sharp smooth blade (Kai), and set down from where I'd use a FB (5-7) or Slim (4-5) to 3-4, had a great bbs shave this morning.

Icing on the cake was I sold the original BB for about what I paid, around $33-$34 shipped, and this one was $15.50 to my door, and is actually in cleaner condition. (The first one's numbers were partially worn off, handle wasn't as clean, and the silo doors had some scrapes not present on this one). Definitely a win-win as far has razors go.

I briefly had a 1978 BB over a year ago, and at the time, felt it had way too much blade feel and sold it. After seeing Big-John's (Mad Scientist of Wet Shaving) review, I'd wished I hadn't sold it, as I wanted to revisit that razor. This one is close in year, having no date code (zero, nada, zip), it must be post 1976, having a black adjustment plate, so best guess is around 1977 during the switch from metal to composite plates. Now with a change or improvement in technique, a sharp smooth blade (Kai), and set down from where I'd use a FB (5-7) or Slim (4-5) to 3-4, had a great bbs shave this morning.

Icing on the cake was I sold the original BB for about what I paid, around $33-$34 shipped, and this one was $15.50 to my door, and is actually in cleaner condition. (The first one's numbers were partially worn off, handle wasn't as clean, and the silo doors had some scrapes not present on this one). Definitely a win-win as far has razors go.
I believe the plastic base models have the date code inside.

Nice shavers. Congrats!

I've got two shaves in with my new AS-D2 and couldn't be happier. Sure, a Merkur or EJ 89 is cheaper, requires a less precise angle, and will allow just about any blade to work well, but if you can get the angle right, it's a MUCH better shave. I like that the closeness is dictated by the number of passes. I used to grab a different razor depending on the closeness I wanted (unless I'm using an adjustable) but this is much easier because I don't ever have to compromise comfort for closeness. This is a phenomenal razor that may be the last razor I ever use. I originally fell in love with my Rockwell 6S (most comfortable DFS every time) and was recently starting to enjoy the Parker Variant (most comfortable BBS every time), but this, for me, tops both!!

I believe the plastic base models have the date code inside.

They usually do, mine has no code on the tray....check the pictures I posted yesterday, maybe 10 posts back, it's one of the rare mistakes. No stamping on the blade tray, and only a molded in 3 on the bottom plate. (There's been a couple of reports of finding a NDC Super Adjustable with the black plastic bottom plate).

Actually, here you go, a picture of the inside tray:

IMG_20170719_181952.jpg

They usually do, mine has no code on the tray....check the pictures I posted yesterday, maybe 10 posts back, it's one of the rare mistakes. No stamping on the blade tray, and only a molded in 3 on the bottom plate. (There's been a couple of reports of finding a NDC Super Adjustable with the black plastic bottom plate).

Actually, here you go, a picture of the inside tray:

View attachment 805676
I think I seen that one on eBay but passed on trying for it because I thought the guy was full of crap about it not having a date code.

Just received this little Dirty Gem. Will see how she cleans up.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Paid a Whopping $6.00 for her. [emoji12]

Top Bottom