What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Looking at the razor blades still made today we basically have the Gillette DE blade, the GEM, the Schick injector and the Valet compatible blades from Kai and Feather. Add in the KAI / Feather shavette blades and the Personna shavette / hair trimmer blade and that is about it. Looking over the number of blade designs no longer available based on B&B posts and looking through the Razor Compendium I would guess that only 5% or so of blade designs were successful enough to stay in production till today. Only three are commonly available at retail so far as I know, DE, Gem and Schick injector.

Yup. The very King C. Gillette also learned the 'virtues' of eliminating competition....

I went to the NW Antique Show at the Expo Center for the first time...HUGE! A few minutes after arriving I discovered I was apparently trailing @*Terence* thus most of the day was hearing, "someone was here before you."

Somehow managed to find a few things later in the day...sorry about the Toggle Terence...and the razors mama was "holding" for you. :surrender:

Terence, did you score anything after I left, perhaps that Rubberset 400?

IMG_1565.JPG

Late 40's early fifties hand forged African spear head, I wonder how it will shave?

I went to the NW Antique Show at the Expo Center for the first time...HUGE! A few minutes after arriving I discovered I was apparently trailing @*Terence* thus most of the day was hearing, "someone was here before you."

Somehow managed to find a few things later in the day...sorry about the Toggle Terence...and the razors mama was "holding" for you. :surrender:

View attachment 804737

Late 40's early fifties hand forged African spear head, I wonder how it will shave?

:a14::laugh:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz

View attachment 804737

Bang!

View attachment 804737

That's a nice haul there Kevin, especially the Toggle! Congratulations!

KeenDogg

View attachment 804737

The Currier and Ives bowl looks fantastic! Is there soap in it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That's a nice haul there Kevin, especially the Toggle! Congratulations!

Thank you, I will be sending it to Cap at some point because the adjuster dial clicks but is not adjusting. The plating is very nice.

The Currier and Ives bowl looks fantastic! Is there soap in it?

There is about 1/4 of the soap remaining, which the label says is "By Williams."

Ad Astra

The Instigator

View attachment 804737

Unnnnnnbelievable! Wow!

Walk out with a Toggle ... I gotta get out more.

BZ/ nicely done!

AA

Unnnnnnbelievable! Wow!

Walk out with a Toggle ... I gotta get out more.

BZ/ nicely done!

AA

To be fair, a knife collector buddy I was with found the Toggle, took me to the vendor, I negotiated a bit, but we could not arrive at a budget friendly price. My buddy went back and bought it for me...his generosity is completely humbling.

KeenDogg

Thank you, I will be sending it to Cap at some point because the adjuster dial clicks but is not adjusting. The plating is very nice.

There is about 1/4 of the soap remaining, which the label says is "By Williams."
Indeed, it is Williams. It's from the 40s, I believe. I have one as well.

Got these today. Pretty happy with them! No cracks. Been used plenty with a lot of finish loss. Can y'all help me identify them?

Attachments

• IMG_4674.JPG
    IMG_4674.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4675.JPG
    IMG_4675.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4676.JPG
    IMG_4676.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4677.JPG
    IMG_4677.JPG