What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I got this New Short Comb cheap earlier this year, primarly for the handle. The cap was stripped down to the red brass & it was pretty cruddy. Before parting it out, I decided to shave with it & was impressed with the close, smooth, quality shave, so I jumped it ahead in the rotation. The more I used it, the more I liked it. It came close to equaling my fave 1917 Old Type. The plan changed, and I decided to send it out to Backroads Gold to replate. Turnaround time was a week, & the quality workmanship is the usual impeccable.
A raggedy Milord will be next to send out, whoever, Backroads Gold has closed up shop. They sold their AZ home and are moving to Wyoming to set up shop. Further work is on hold until August.
NEW SC replate.jpg

I got this New Short Comb cheap earlier this year, primarly for the handle. The cap was stripped down to the red brass & it was pretty cruddy. Before parting it out, I decided to shave with it & was impressed with the close, smooth, quality shave, so I jumped it ahead in the rotation. The more I used it, the more I liked it. It came close to equaling my fave 1917 Old Type. The plan changed, and I decided to send it out to Backroads Gold to replate. Turnaround time was a week, & the quality workmanship is the usual impeccable.
A raggedy Milord will be next to send out, whoever, Backroads Gold has closed up shop. They sold their AZ home and are moving to Wyoming to set up shop. Further work is on hold until August.
View attachment 1119824
Wow. Beautifully done. I shaved with my short comb today and had a fantastic shave.

Gillette Vest Pocket Set, Made in England, 1920s, with 4-piece Old type razor.

Apparently these were gadgets even back in the day, and often given as presents, including customized advertising presents. This one must have been made for the Dutch light-bulb manufacturer Condor, to be given to good customers and business associates. Condor was later bought by Philips, but used to have a manufacturing plant in Sydney, Australia. This goes a long way in explaining why I found this razor set in New Zealand.

Attachments

• FKM_7130(Large).JPG
    FKM_7130(Large).JPG
    289.9 KB · Views: 27
  • FKM_7135 (Large).JPG
    FKM_7135 (Large).JPG
    318.5 KB · Views: 30
  • FKM_7140 (Large).JPG
    FKM_7140 (Large).JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 29
  • FKM_7162 (Large).JPG
    FKM_7162 (Large).JPG
    313.1 KB · Views: 24
  • FKM_7163 (Large).JPG
    FKM_7163 (Large).JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 25
  • FKM_7164(Large).JPG
    FKM_7164(Large).JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 21
  • FKM_7167 (Large).JPG
    FKM_7167 (Large).JPG
    306.7 KB · Views: 19
nice set, but not Gillette Vest Pocket set. Handle and case are not Gillette. All Vest Pocket sets that I know, comes with an Old Type Made in USA

nice set, but not Gillette Vest Pocket set. Handle and case are not Gillette. All Vest Pocket sets that I know, comes with an Old Type Made in USA

Hallo Achim,

ich hab den frei nach deiner Seite identifiziert. Ich dachte der Griff sieht wie der hier aus, aber bei naeherem hinschauen vielleicht doch nicht.

In Neuseeland bekommt man oft interessante Sachen, da das Land gerne als Testmarkt verwendet wurde - oder wir kriegen halt den Rest, der noch auf Lager ist. :biggrin1:

Viele Gruesse

1593661532314.png

These two came from that auction site. $18 for the pair. One is a 1960 Q3 (F-3) and one is a 1961 Q1 (G-1) Almost the same as me (Q-2). Of course the seller had no way to tell from that original condition.
razor-4.jpg
razor-3.jpg

Preliminary clean up done. I think they came out well considering.
speeds.jpg

The set does not seem to be a one off. I found at least one other person who owns the same set - Old type head, made in England, same handle, same box but without the Condor logo.

1593732231889.png

There is also a 2010 B&B thread about a Made in England 'Vest Pocket Set'. The few details given match my set. Unfortunately the photos are no missing.

The owner of the other set told me he heard that Gillette purchased a German razor company. The heads are made in England and the rest in Germany.

If Gillette bought the company, one would assume the set was sold by Gillette, even though not all parts were made by Gillette. Of course that's all hearsay at this stage, and if Achim says it's not appropriate to call it Vest Pocket Set, that's probably the most authoritative answer one can get.

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

The set does not seem to be a one off. I found at least one other person who owns the same set - Old type head, made in England, same handle, same box but without the Condor logo.

View attachment 1120867

There is also a 2010 B&B thread about a Made in England 'Vest Pocket Set'. The few details given match my set. Unfortunately the photos are no missing.

The owner of the other set told me he heard that Gillette purchased a German razor company. The heads are made in England and the rest in Germany.

If Gillette bought the company, one would assume the set was sold by Gillette, even though not all parts were made by Gillette. Of course that's all hearsay at this stage, and if Achim says it's not appropriate to call it Vest Pocket Set, that's probably the most authoritative answer one can get.

Hello, the problem with the pocket sets is that only 2 Gillette models are supported by ads, the Vienna and Genuine vest pocket, both exclusives of M. E. Mayer of Austria. These are marked as Gillette items on the boxes and come with a specific ball end or tubular handle.
Confusion starts when we add that M.E. Mayer had an (I think earlier) unbranded set, similar to the Vienna and this had the same handle as the Gillette Vienna, so it could be, that Gillette only supplied the heads (boxes?) and the rest was locally made.
Also this tiny pocket razor design was really popular in Europe, so many factories produced them under their own names or as white lables for other companies, often as advertisers.
So your set is unlikely to be a complete Gillette item. The head could be a later addition by the owner, or a company, selling pocket sets, bought parts from Gillette, as it happened sometimes (for eg. no-name grooming sets with Gillette razors).

Adam

Hello, the problem with the pocket sets is that only 2 Gillette models are supported by ads, the Vienna and Genuine vest pocket, both exclusives of M. E. Mayer of Austria. These are marked as Gillette items on the boxes and come with a specific ball end or tubular handle.
Confusion starts when we add that M.E. Mayer had an (I think earlier) unbranded set, similar to the Vienna and this had the same handle as the Gillette Vienna, so it could be, that Gillette only supplied the heads (boxes?) and the rest was locally made.
Also this tiny pocket razor design was really popular in Europe, so many factories produced them under their own names or as white lables for other companies, often as advertisers.
So your set is unlikely to be a complete Gillette item. The head could be a later addition by the owner, or a company, selling pocket sets, bought parts from Gillette, as it happened sometimes (for eg. no-name grooming sets with Gillette razors).

Adam
Thanks for the info. The likelihood that the head was added later by an owner is low if it needs only one day for me to find another identical head and handle that were sold together. The likelihood that they were later put together by a company is low if both razors came in the same box, one with a company logo and one without. To me this suggests that you could buy the set new - with the option of having the box customized.

That's my story and I am sticking with it until someone proves me wrong! 😁

R

romsitsa

The two sets are not identical. Your case has a reccess for a stamped tounge piece, the other one has tounge with a hole, which will fit into the round recess of the lid. The handles are also different.
On a broader scope there are no Gillette cases without a Gillette marking, sold by Gillette. The only Gillette cases not stating "Gillette" anywhere are the ones sold to other companies.

Adam

The two sets are not identical. Your case has a reccess for a stamped tounge piece, the other one has tounge with a hole, which will fit into the round recess of the lid. The handles are also different.
On a broader scope there are no Gillette cases without a Gillette marking, sold by Gillette. The only Gillette cases not stating "Gillette" anywhere are the ones sold to other companies.

Adam
It seems like I am lacking your eye for detail. Better stay away from collecting and stick to using!

R

romsitsa

It seems like I am lacking your eye for detail. Better stay away from collecting and stick to using!

Imho, this is part of the fun. Took me years to realise that the elusive US pocket set, I was missing, is most likely a missmatched old type head in a German pocket case.

Adam

My best razor, IMHO, is my President. It provides incredibly smooth & efficient shaves every time. My deepest thanks to @Hannah's Dad, who contacted me to see if I would like a second President. "I most certainly do" was my answer. I purchased this beautiful razor & it arrived today. Absolutely gorgeous, Dan, thank you sir!

It shaves even better than it looks.
IMG_2965.jpg
IMG_2966.jpg

Top Bottom