What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Based on raving shave quality reviews from trusted members of our community (yes, Jeff Greene you are to blame, sir :001_302: ) I today took delivery of this strange shaver: the US made G.E. Jones Shake Sharp razor, 'the razor that sharpens itself.' It looks like an SE but uses DE blades...although only exposing one side of the blade at a time.

It even has a hone built into a cunning glide which you supposedly can run against the blade to sharpen by shaking the razor back and forth, if you so desire.

I have been advised to upload TWO modern DE blades into this this in order to ensure tightness - as this razor was designed in the 1940s or so where blades were a lot thicker than today. Yes, you read correctly.

This weekend I will lay my life (or at least body blood content) on the line... :scared:[emoji106]1:

View attachment 1115075
Two blades are not necessary to ensure tightness, but the shave is improved on my Mk1.0 doing so. I don't find the same magic on the Mk2 like you have but enjoy it fine with one blade. Try it both ways.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Based on raving shave quality reviews from trusted members of our community (yes, Jeff Greene you are to blame, sir :001_302: ) I today took delivery of this strange shaver: the US made G.E. Jones Shake Sharp razor, 'the razor that sharpens itself.' It looks like an SE but uses DE blades...although only exposing one side of the blade at a time.

It even has a hone built into a cunning glide which you supposedly can run against the blade to sharpen by shaking the razor back and forth, if you so desire.

I have been advised to upload TWO modern DE blades into this this in order to ensure tightness - as this razor was designed in the 1940s or so where blades were a lot thicker than today. Yes, you read correctly.

This weekend I will lay my life (or at least body blood content) on the line... :scared::thumbup1:

View attachment 1115075

Well great. My last name is Jones. Now I’ve got to find this just when my RAD was slowing down. 🤦🏻‍♂️😉

Two blades are not necessary to ensure tightness, but the shave is improved on my Mk1.0 doing so. I don't find the same magic on the Mk2 like you have but enjoy it fine with one blade. Try it both ways.

Thanks Jeff, I guess it is really you I should blame as you started this whole thing :straight:. If I do not post any more after this weekend everyone will know that it is your fault :biggrin1:

But if it shaves nice then I’ll be on the hunt for a bakelite Mk I - which incidentally is a lot better looking!

This early Saturday morning I reeled this one in: A silver Pre-#15 French set with the “Importé D’Angleterre” engraving on razor/imprint on case. A set made specifically for and only sold in the French market during the 1930s.

This particular set was missing in my collection so very happy about this, believe it will clean up very well - I owe you (another!) one, Erik :thumbup1:

03C98DEF-59D2-4767-8B7D-25DE49375255.jpeg
07DE6C92-87F7-421D-A157-DA17FA7FE57D.jpeg
C010E8BC-BE65-4FAE-A48F-E907A8829AF9.jpeg

This early Saturday morning I reeled this one in: A silver Pre-#15 French set with the “Importé D’Angleterre” engraving on razor/imprint on case. A set made specifically for and only sold in the French market during the 1930s.

This particular set was missing in my collection so very happy about this, believe it will clean up very well - I owe you (another!) one, Erik :thumbup1:

Your welcome Peter, what's next?

View attachment 1115385View attachment 1115386View attachment 1115387

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

Peter, I had one of those a while back - and I thought it shaved even smoother than the winged center bar 1st Gen Crat. Fantastic score.

Great OC DE razor. I've had one for over 10yrs now, with a treet carbon blade its almost a BBS evrytime.

First shave yesterday with only 1 blade - very nice, noisy and mild shave, like a Tech. Good angle and weight. Decided immediately to next time try it with 2 blades as the 1 blade shave was with a tiny bit of blade chatter.

2 blade shave this morning was remarkably nice! Same noise but totally troublefree shave, felt exactly like the shave with only 1 blade. Took a bit of adjusting the two blades when loading the razor though, and somehow it feels strange to use 2 blades (I mean, there’s a reason you went off carts, right?...). But fun, mild and very efficient. 12 hrs later remarkably little stubble to feel. :thumbup1:

First shave yesterday with only 1 blade - very nice, noisy and mild shave, like a Tech. Good angle and weight. Decided immediately to next time try it with 2 blades as the 1 blade shave was with a tiny bit of blade chatter.

2 blade shave this morning was remarkably nice! Same noise but totally troublefree shave, felt exactly like the shave with only 1 blade. Took a bit of adjusting the two blades when loading the razor though, and somehow it feels strange to use 2 blades (I mean, there’s a reason you went off carts, right?...). But fun, mild and very efficient. 12 hrs later remarkably little stubble to feel. [emoji106]1:
Well done [emoji106]

Some may not be impressed but I am a fan. My wife ordered this razor back in February after I told her how much I wanted it. Shipping was delayed twice but it finally arrived just in time for Father’s Day as a gift from my wife and kids. Had a great shave with it today.
848FF83C-086A-4B40-88D4-E95DA195E8BD.jpeg

Top Bottom