What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
My best razor, IMHO, is my President. It provides incredibly smooth & efficient shaves every time. My deepest thanks to @Hannah's Dad, who contacted me to see if I would like a second President. "I most certainly do" was my answer. I purchased this beautiful razor & it arrived today. Absolutely gorgeous, Dan, thank you sir!

It shaves even better than it looks.
View attachment 1121355 View attachment 1121356
My pleasure, David!! Every President deserves two terms!

Fatip Lo Storto OC Slant

IMG_20200703_202359~2.jpg
IMG_20200703_202518~2.jpg

I noticed some issues with it. The plate works better on one side than the other, in terms of topcap to base plate alignment. The blade exposure is different on each side. However, I took it for a shave and it shaved really well. Weird razor but I'm still impressed with it.

It seems like I am lacking your eye for detail. Better stay away from collecting and stick to using!
As others have said, don't be put off by a mismatch. Go for it. Collecting doesn't have to be restricted to bespoke sets. Who knows how many years that set was used in the configuration you found it in. It probably has a long history. The big problem for me is that it is so hard if not impossible to connect a vintage razor to its owners over the years. Imagine the possibilities and collect away!

By the way I was happy to see Mr. Razor (Achim) chimed in with some info. When I was new to the obsession I spent every day poring over his website. It was how I learned and grew my collection. If you want to confirm a set go there first.

My best razor, IMHO, is my President. It provides incredibly smooth & efficient shaves every time. My deepest thanks to @Hannah's Dad, who contacted me to see if I would like a second President. "I most certainly do" was my answer. I purchased this beautiful razor & it arrived today. Absolutely gorgeous, Dan, thank you sir!

It shaves even better than it looks.
View attachment 1121355 View attachment 1121356

Everybody needs a back up, David! :)
Congrats to you and @Hannah's Dad!

Shaved this morning with my beloved Rocket Flare Tip TV Special. Guess that may be why I just needed to have this one - a fascinating Japanese origin set holding a standard Rocket Flare Tip.

Or rather, an almost standard Flare Tip... Seller description:

The base plate only has the Gillette diamond logo and no date code or markings indicating whether it was a British or USA made razor. The inside of the blade tray also has no markings where one would typically expect to see PAT NOS ON PKG. The razor comes with a dispenser of 5 Silver Gillette Blades still sealed. It slides nicely into the bottom of the plastic case. The bottom of the dispenser has British Patent Number 694333 and MADE IN ENGLAND.

The razor comes in a leather case which is in excellent condition. The front of the case has the characters “Tai-sei-ka-sai-kai-jyo-ho-ken-kabu-shiki-kai-sha’ - Taisei Fire & Marine Insurance Co. Ltd. in gold. Taisei filed for bankruptcy in 2001 following terror related payouts in the wake of 9/11. This set may have been given as a corporate gift to clients.

Achim tells me that the plastic holder part of the set also was supplied in the German market by Gillette, holding either a Super-Speed Flare Tip or a Tech.

A very unusual and nice set...

SELLER PICS:
1AF22D88-E611-4D9B-B634-DDEA70DD426F.png
4B41BA4B-8764-47B7-B537-3D9648CACAFB.png
45DE06E9-EC2D-42D2-A59D-01890875C887.png
FD797C28-2B3D-42C9-8391-E3BB32109D1C.png
6DE16FE9-B3F2-4F85-A640-CFD5E6E1DAC2.png

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Shaved this morning with my beloved Rocket Flare Tip TV Special. Guess that may be why I just needed to have this one - a fascinating Japanese origin set holding a standard Rocket Flare Tip.

The base plate only has the Gillette diamond logo and no date code or markings indicating whether it was a British or USA made razor. The inside of the blade tray also has no markings where one would typically expect to see PAT NOS ON PKG. The razor comes with a dispenser of 5 Silver Gillette Blades still sealed. It slides nicely into the bottom of the plastic case. The bottom of the dispenser has British Patent Number 694333 and MADE IN ENGLAND.

The razor comes in a leather case which is in excellent condition. The front of the case has the characters “Tai-sei-ka-sai-kai-jyo-ho-ken-kabu-shiki-kai-sha’ - Taisei Fire & Marine Insurance Co. Ltd. in gold. Taisei filed for bankruptcy in 2001 following terror related payouts in the wake of 9/11. This set may have been given as a corporate gift to clients.

Achim tells me that the plastic holder part of the set also was supplied in the German market by Gillette, holding either a Super-Speed Flare Tip or a Tech.

SELLER PICS:
View attachment 1121998View attachment 1121999View attachment 1122000View attachment 1122002View attachment 1122003

Nice, a late, thin head, but with the earlier handle. Export variants lacked the “made in” stamp and patent.

Adam

SELLER PICS:
View attachment 1121998View attachment 1121999View attachment 1122000View attachment 1122002View attachment 1122003
Wow, that looks like it was made yesterday, sweet Flare Tip! :thumbup:

Filthy Tech in a lot of three, diamond slots.

proxy.php

Oblyc variable slant DE. The post swivels to the left or right. You can set whatever depth of slant that you’d like:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Double Ring from the same lot as the Tech. You’ve seen better days, but I couldn’t pass you by!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Filthy Tech in a lot of three, diamond slots.

proxy.php

Oblyc variable slant DE. The post swivels to the left or right. You can set whatever depth of slant that you’d like:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Double Ring from the same lot as the Tech. You’ve seen better days, but I couldn’t pass you by!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great scores Todd. You have my grail razor there in the Double Ring. Congratulations.

Like I needed another Stahly but the wood case got me. Christmas 1946 model. They switched from yellow brass to an inferior metal for the baseplate at this juncture so it's not as pristine as the rest of the razor but you can't see that. The prewar silver razor had been phased out and the chrome not yet introduced by this vendor. With inflation 1946 pricing was about the same as my Wolfman. [emoji2]
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Good additions gentlemen!

Today my long awaited L’Essor set arrived from the far East - a wonderful 1960s(?) model, built like a tank, short handle and with differing combs’ aggressiveness. First shave up tomorrow!

Could anyone confirm when this was made? Plastic case to me indicates 1960s or 1970s, but I may be off?

CF8DD263-8357-4D1F-81B5-05553EB525A4.jpeg
D23561B8-B0D2-48BA-8AD6-319F5241398B.jpeg
59245728-C1FF-434F-8BBC-EB220EEDB970.jpeg
71B88BAB-3661-4ACD-82C5-D31472DB0045.jpeg

Good additions gentlemen!

Today my long awaited L’Essor set arrived from the far East - a wonderful 1960s(?) model, built like a tank, short handle and with differing combs’ aggressiveness. First shave up tomorrow!

Could anyone confirm when this was made? Plastic case to me indicates 1960s or 1970s, but I may be off?

View attachment 1122736View attachment 1122737View attachment 1122738View attachment 1122739
Beautiful. You keep raising the bar, Peter.

Top Bottom