What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

R

romsitsa

Uh oh couldn't resist it. Take a look at the way the blade torques on the Italian Barber Bakelite Slant.
Had to pay $45.00 to find out. Does anyone know if that's a good price?

View attachment 1067100

It's a vintage unbranded German slant (IB sold a couple couple of years ago, iirc). Called Merkur by some for some unknown reason.

Adam

1935 Kirby, Beard & Co set inbound, the handsome thin art deco handle version.

The Kirbys are quite sought after by the cognoscenti, most models easily reckognizable by the scalloped top cap. I cannot wait to try this classic French shaver :001_tt1:

AC46BA04-8AAB-495F-BDB5-A020DFE48E6B.jpeg

Hi folks. It’s been awhile. I slacked off collecting for quite awhile, due to numerous circumstances beyond my control, but I’m going to hang around as long as I am able as usual.

I have a few scores I want to share with you all.

First up is an unusual RFB New style razor. It has an unusual maker. It was made by MEM. It’s condition is such that I honestly believe this is a pre-WWII razor. It seems as if it is partially made of pot-metal. Here’s the photos-

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Then there is an unbranded razor I have never seen before. It is a two piece. The baseplate seems like pot metal as well. Very rough plating on the guard plate.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Next is an Empire ABC Pocket Edition. I had one years ago, but sold it when times got hard. I never thought I could get another. And now here that one is -

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry about the lengthy post. But there is more.

In my opinion, the 1946/47 Gillette Aristocrat is the classiest and sexiest razor ever produced. And it is a fantastic shave tool as well.

proxy.php

And a puck of vintage Surrey shave soap-

proxy.php

And last but not least, a vintage barely used and very serviceable Ever Ready PBT 300 Badger brush. I already have a PBT 500 Ever Ready, and I love it. I use it for my All American Shave Day shaves, on every Independence Day. Here is that brush-

proxy.php

So, I slacked off for a long time. I had sold the majority of my collection. And I have been gravely Ill. But I still wet shave as often as I can. It is difficult to shave around the cannula at times, but I love the sensation of the blade on my face, the scents of the various products I use, and the relaxation I get from the calming ritual of wet shaving. And I so love these old shave tools. They really are a rich piece of history.
I have been missing all of my old friends here. Sorry I haven’t been around much. I plan on hanging out as much as I can, but I have a lot going on sometimes and can’t stick around very long sometimes.

So I’ll see you guys in the funny papers everybody. Have a great night.

PS- if anyone can tell me anything about that MEM RFB New type razor, I would love to hear what you can discover. Same on the two piece razor with the case. And (?zamac?) baseplate.

Later Folks!
[emoji3522][emoji3522][emoji3522][emoji3522]
Alan.

R

romsitsa

Hello Alan, the MEM is a rebranded Rotbart/7 O’clock. All brass made before 1937. MEM is M. E. Meyer, an Austrian company bought by Gillette around the 20ies-30ies (it was Gillettes sole distributor for Central Europe and it’s the company stamped on Vienna vest pocket cases).

Adam

R

romsitsa

Hello Alan, the MEM is a rebranded Rotbart/7 O’clock. All brass made before 1937. MEM is M. E. Meyer, an Austrian company bought by Gillette around the 20ies-30ies (it was Gillettes sole distributor for Central Europe and it’s the company stamped on Vienna vest pocket cases).

Adam

M. E. Mayer.
I'm not sure Gillette bought them after the war. Waits lists Mayer together with Elysium, but that was a different company.

Adam

In my opinion, the 1946/47 Gillette Aristocrat is the classiest and sexiest razor ever produced. And it is a fantastic shave tool as well.

proxy.php

proxy.php

And last but not least, a vintage barely used and very serviceable Ever Ready PBT 300 Badger brush. I already have a PBT 500 Ever Ready, and I love it. I use it for my All American Shave Day shaves, on every Independence Day. Here is that brush-

proxy.php

So, I slacked off for a long time. I had sold the majority of my collection. And I have been gravely Ill. But I still wet shave as often as I can. It is difficult to shave around the cannula at times, but I love the sensation of the blade on my face, the scents of the various products I use, and the relaxation I get from the calming ritual of wet shaving. And I so love these old shave tools. They really are a rich piece of history.
I have been missing all of my old friends here. Sorry I haven’t been around much. I plan on hanging out as much as I can, but I have a lot going on sometimes and can’t stick around very long sometimes.

PS- if anyone can tell me anything about that MEM RFB New type razor, I would love to hear what you can discover. Same on the two piece razor with the case. And (?zamac?) baseplate.

Later Folks!
Alan.

So sorry to hear of all your troubles Alan. And a warm welcome back, sir.

We’ll all keep an eye out - and a prayer - for you!

Gillette contract tech. Flat black handle plus gold baseplate and topcap. I suspect that these were made during the all flat black contract tech production years 1938 - 1945. A more precise dating would be welcome. Sadly the most of the gold didn't stick around until I got it. Bought it primarily for it's triangular lather slots baseplate version.

317CB865-CD95-4F7D-A8EA-AEC989B882DA.jpeg
A8D66189-E9F2-4D52-8CEF-74D9D16AC98E.jpeg
CCD8E5C4-4FB4-42B5-B0EB-45A7B7554B65.jpeg

Last edited:
I got this vintage razor named HARDTEM in the auction site. This is a two piece razor and weighs about 3.5 Oz and the total length of the razor is 3.5 inches. This has the marking on the top plate 'HARDTEM' and "Made in USA' on bottom of the base plate. I could not find any other markings. The build seems to be very strong. I cleaned it up with dishwasher soap and sterilized with hot water. After cleaning the razor shines well. I put a Rapira Platinum and had a great shave. With three passes I got a very close shave (almost equal to Wolfman 0.67 OC razor efficiency). I don't know whether this is a rare find or not. I tried searching the net but could not get any information. Appreciate your help in getting some more details about this razor. Now here are the pictures!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Later Folks!
Alan.

Hey, Alan! I'm sorry to hear things have been rough. You were always helpful to me. I'm glad you are able to post and I wish you the utmost health and prosperity. God Bless,

Adam

Top Bottom