What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Why thanks guys, I used this forum and all the other knowledgeable men and women on here to gather all this stuff up. Glad to have found the plethora of information here on these things.

Schick Krona, Any opinions on this razor, from the Pic how old does it look, how does it compare to Gilette.

Someone on the forum mentioned the Schick Krona and I was intrigued.
Went to ebay and found this an Auction for a brand New Razor in the Box with a trashed packaging

He was asking $85.00, I put a offer in at $32.00 incl Shipping and never expected to win.
Darned if he didn't accept my offer.

Did I score or what ?
SKRONA1.JPG

Schick Krona, Any opinions on this razor, from the Pic how old does it look, how does it compare to Gilette.

Someone on the forum mentioned the Schick Krona and I was intrigued.
Went to ebay and found this an Auction for a brand New Razor in the Box with a trashed packaging

He was asking $85.00, I put a offer in at $32.00 incl Shipping and never expected to win.
Darned if he didn't accept my offer.

Did I score or what ?
View attachment 1066662
Good score! Take it out and give it a trial run, you will fall in love with it. I have three all used of course, but still cleaned up great. They give a great smooth shave. I might caution you though about using the blades, some NOS stock is fine, but others are crap.

Good score! Take it out and give it a trial run, you will fall in love with it. I have three all used of course, but still cleaned up great. They give a great smooth shave. I might caution you though about using the blades, some NOS stock is fine, but others are crap.
Which are your favorite brand of blades to use with this razor.?

Below are photos of the original case (I think) and the 1930s Gillette Aristocrat and blade blank that arrived in the mail today following my successful eBay bid. The Aristocrat is very clean and in great shape. I was intrigued by the combination of TTO and open comb, which is not common, and decided that I had to have an early Aristocrat. After a Barbicide soak, I will look forward to shaving with the Aristocrat later this week.

Attachments

• Aristocrat case 2.20.JPG
    Aristocrat case 2.20.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Aristocrat razor 2.20.JPG
    Aristocrat razor 2.20.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 15
Spent the last two weekends hitting the antique stores and ended up bringing back four razors over Valentines (57 SS, pre-war Fat Handle Tech, a thick cap Old Type Frankenrazor and a 1918 ball end thin cap in the box and post war Old Spice glass mug) and three this past weekend (pictured with a 1941-44 ceramic Old Spice Shave Mug). The long comb New had a lot of verdigris that took the plating and the Tuckaway style handle is cracked so I'll epoxy the handle then take it to brass, but the X4 Super Speed is near new on the knurling and while it's a frankenrazor with a thin common bar handle, I couldn't pass up the 1918 military issue thin cap even with the bent corners for $9.00. I will get the Razor Emporium replacement handles for the two old types if I need to, but if anyone has a line on period correct silver and gold ball end handles, I'd prefer to go that way -- especially for the 1918 military issue which will be my Memorial/Veterans Day and 4th of July shaver. I'll try to post photos of the other four later.

Attachments

• Acq 1.jpg
    Acq 1.jpg
    612.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Acq 2.jpg
    Acq 2.jpg
    863.7 KB · Views: 14
While the red dot is still getting its spa treatments... A couple others out of the lot that it came with. Merkur 15C and an ABC gold scroll? The whole lot I bought had been put on display, but obviously were not at all cleaned beforehand - very odd and unfortunate.
IMG_20200221_102859.jpg

IMG_20200221_102910.jpg

IMG_20200221_103056.jpg

Is there a way to date the 15C? It's in decent shape, but has some nicks and plating imperfections along the cap edges, which stinks. Might still shave ok - haven't ever used one before.

Also, the ABC razor was obviously wet for a really long time....do you think all that rust is the final remnants of a carbon steel blade? Blegh. Pretty obviously not a candidate for use ever again, but what are the chances it can be pretty again? Never seen build-up quite like that. Haven't touched it yet...can I really hurt it more than it already is if I just start with the Dawn and toothbrush as usual?

R

romsitsa

While the red dot is still getting its spa treatments... A couple others out of the lot that it came with. Merkur 15C and an ABC gold scroll? The whole lot I bought had been put on display, but obviously were not at all cleaned beforehand - very odd and unfortunate.
View attachment 1067093
View attachment 1067094
View attachment 1067095

Also, the ABC razor was obviously wet for a really long time....do you think all that rust is the final remnants of a carbon steel blade? Blegh. Pretty obviously not a candidate for use ever again, but what are the chances it can be pretty again? Never seen build-up quite like that. Haven't touched it yet...can I really hurt it more than it already is if I just start with the Dawn and toothbrush as usual?

Hello, nice lot. The rarest part is the stamped cap, so if the threads are good everything else can be replaced (worst case). The rust will come off easily, there could be some pitting that will remain, but it's not a problem, imho. The corner teeth and curve can be straigtened (bless them for the paper thin brass they used), just aneal them beforehand. It has to be useable to be pretty.

Adam

Top Bottom