What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

What I mean is... what's the point (Gillette's) in launching a DE razor with a well known head? Are they really trying to go back to their origins? If a cart user tries it and enters this dark side (lol!) chances are he would try others, and others... but none of them Gillette...

And for us (vintage DE hoarders.. err, users) this one is... like me, useless!:c1:

As for my meagre collection, I can assure you my razors are not useless.. I use them!:letterk1:
Deep... :ciappa: :ciappa:

What I mean is... what's the point (Gillette's) in launching a DE razor with a well known head? Are they really trying to go back to their origins? If a cart user tries it and enters this dark side (lol!) chances are he would try others, and others... but none of them Gillette...

And for us (vintage DE hoarders.. err, users) this one is... like me, useless!:c1:

As for my meagre collection, I can assure you my razors are not useless.. I use them!:letterk1:

Hah! We don't have to fight over which year is better. I think everyone knows that '62 was the year. Dr. No is probably my favorite Bond movie. 1962. How about that Aston Martin DB4? 1962. First man in space? 1962. Best version of Happy Birthday ever? Marilyn Monroe to JFK in 1962. First year that Johnny Carson started hosting the Tonight Show? 1962. Heeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!

Hah! We don't have to fight over which year is better. I think everyone knows that '62 was the year. Dr. No is probably my favorite Bond movie. 1962. How about that Aston Martin DB4? 1962. First man in space? 1962. Best version of Happy Birthday ever? Marilyn Monroe to JFK in 1962. First year that Johnny Carson started hosting the Tonight Show? 1962. Heeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!

In your dreams! Keep on trying! In 1961 I was born, man...!!! :laugh:

Attachments

• 1573753299705.png
    1573753299705.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
I have bought since October 23rd five razors. None of them arrived yet. Three of them are in customs, two for at least two weeks. At least now I got a letter that I shall fetch one from customs. It is the Legion Extranjera which I bought directly in Argentina via ebay. The few chances at ebay are the only chances I so far had to buy something in Argentina. It is so awful difficult. Many companies don't answer at all. Some companies are at the beginning helpful, but then the communication dies down. Even so it should be really in the interest of Argentina to sell stuff to other markets.

I have bought since October 23rd five razors. None of them arrived yet. Three of them are in customs, two for at least two weeks. At least now I got a letter that I shall fetch one from customs. It is the Legion Extranjera which I bought directly in Argentina via ebay. The few chances at ebay are the only chances I so far had to buy something in Argentina. It is so awful difficult. Many companies don't answer at all. Some companies are at the beginning helpful, but then the communication dies down. Even so it should be really in the interest of Argentina to sell stuff to other markets.

They look VERY interesting... I hope you get them soon... and post pics!

They look VERY interesting... I hope you get them soon... and post pics!
For you, you useless shaver!

The handle of the Legion Extranjera is well built, but nearly all silver plating is gone. The base plate is well built, but it has no cut out for the handle, so that only two edges of the handle sit on it. The top is not well built. The center screw is not flush. Maybe someone screwed on the handle to tight, but it could also be a manufacturing defect. What I am sure of is that the burr on the sides comes from manufacturing as the plating is there still intact. It did cost me including PayPal, shipping, import VAT and driving around about USD 60 + 40 minutes of my time.

PS: I don't know if I should keep it as it is, clean it in ultrasonic, + replate the handle or + fix and replate the top cap.

Attachments

• LegionExtranjera-1.jpg
    LegionExtranjera-1.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 19
  • LegionExtranjera-2.jpg
    LegionExtranjera-2.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 21
And another one arrived. A Gillette Pocket Edition from American Button Company, commonly called Gillette BAC in basket pattern box. It was produced in 1918 (date code G). It has two damages. One corner tooth is slightly bent. And the handle is bent as you can see on the photo. Unless I get a better suggestion here I will fill the handle with sugar and then try to bend it.

Attachments

• ABC.jpg
    ABC.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 18
For you, you useless shaver!

The handle of the Legion Extranjera is well built, but nearly all silver plating is gone. The base plate is well built, but it has no cut out for the handle, so that only two edges of the handle sit on it. The top is not well built. The center screw is not flush. Maybe someone screwed on the handle to tight, but it could also be a manufacturing defect. What I am sure of is that the burr on the sides comes from manufacturing as the plating is there still intact. It did cost me including PayPal, shipping, import VAT and driving around about USD 60 + 40 minutes of my time.

PS: I don't know if I should keep it as it is, clean it in ultrasonic, + replate the handle or + fix and replate the top cap.

I see... A disaster.. Sorry.

Top Bottom