What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Something old something new. New Gillette and a confusing Brit. Either a #66 or #70. The case makes me say #66, the II on the bottom makes me think #70. How can I tell if this is nickel or rhodium. Could it be a #70 in the wrong case?
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Something old something new. New Gillette and a confusing Brit. Either a #66 or #70. The case makes me say #66, the II on the bottom makes me think #70. How can I tell if this is nickel or rhodium. Could it be a #70 in the wrong case?
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Looks like rhodium (handle) to me. If you polish nickle a black residue will be visible on the polishing cloth. If it's rhodium it doesn't.

Here's a line up of different platings
5FBD4C32-BD19-4751-847D-997397447E1C.jpeg

Looks like rhodium (handle) to me. If you polish nickle a black residue will be visible on the polishing cloth. If it's rhodium it doesn't.

Here's a line up of different platings
View attachment 1034325
Are you referring to the handle design, or, a quality of the plating when you say rhodium. I am fairly certain that the case is for rhodium #66 aristocrat fourth gen. I have read a thread somewhere stating that the roman numeral II on the bottom indicated nickel plating and a non aristocrat #70 fourth gen. It has the patent number on it so it would be the later #66 if it is indeed rhodium.

Are you referring to the handle design, or, a quality of the plating when you say rhodium. I am fairly certain that the case is for rhodium #66 aristocrat fourth gen. I have read a thread somewhere stating that the roman numeral II on the bottom indicated nickel plating and a non aristocrat #70 fourth gen. It has the patent number on it so it would be the later #66 if it is indeed rhodium.

No I whas referring to an Rhodium plated handle with (possible) an nickle plated head. And that's an original Gillette combination. For more info read the following thread:

Congrats on your finds!!
Did they add some new pages to the Old Spice Collectibles site? I thought I had all the milk glass mugs, but now I realize I only have all the American milk glass mugs. And, I've never seen the Corning mugs with the red/orange logo. I have got to find me one of those!!! As many times as I've been to that site over the past few years, I've never noticed the Canadian or Belgium mug pages... They're new, or I'm losing my mind!

Well, it's just another thing to collect! good luck!

I don't think it's a secret at this point it's a Muhle head, if Gillette was interested in disguising the fact it would not have the same #4 imprinted as the R89 from Muhle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I think so. But...what I really wonder is... is it worth it? I think it's not for us...

R

romsitsa

II stands for “regular” base plate, added after the Superspeed trio was introduced (around 1955)
It can be found on most gen 4 Aristocrats with a patent number in the plate.
I also suspect that some No 66 came with nickel plated razors.

Adam

My almost last set of razors arrived last night. First up a gold post war Gillette Tech:
Karatsu_TFAshaverUnboxProGillRazors-3.JPG

Next a Gillette Old Type Open Comb with straight Teeth:
Karatsu_TFAshaverUnboxProGillRazors-4.JPG
Karatsu_TFAshaverUnboxProGillRazors-6.JPG

Lastly a Gillette Old Type Open Comb with two bent teeth:
Karatsu_TFAshaverUnboxProGillRazors-5.JPG

I will be using the Old Type with straight teeth with a new handle and the gold tech for sure. Hope you all are finding some great buys out there.

I just scored two birth year/quarter razors. One is a Slim Adjustable. I already have two but saw one that no one had bid on so I waited until the last few seconds. No one else bid so I got it for the asking price which was much lower than the other two cost me. The other one I also got the same way. No other bidders but this one I don't have and have seen fewer of them for my birth quarter (H3). A Flair Tip TTO. I'm looking forward to receiving both of them, cleaning them up and then shaving with them.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I just scored two birth year/quarter razors. One is a Slim Adjustable. I already have two but saw one that no one had bid on so I waited until the last few seconds. No one else bid so I got it for the asking price which was much lower than the other two cost me. The other one I also got the same way. No other bidders but this one I don't have and have seen fewer of them for my birth quarter (H3). A Flair Tip TTO. I'm looking forward to receiving both of them, cleaning them up and then shaving with them.
You and I share the same letter! The last sane year on the planet. I blame you!

I don't speak for anyone but a Chinese R89 clone is enough for me, I'm not particularly a fan of the head, Gillette handles I've got, and I don't operate a museum to collect useless items.

What I mean is... what's the point (Gillette's) in launching a DE razor with a well known head? Are they really trying to go back to their origins? If a cart user tries it and enters this dark side (lol!) chances are he would try others, and others... but none of them Gillette...

And for us (vintage DE hoarders.. err, users) this one is... like me, useless!:c1:

As for my meagre collection, I can assure you my razors are not useless.. I use them!:letterk1:

Top Bottom