What's new

Recommend Some Vintage Razors

Holy smokes! I leave you all alone for a few hours and look what happens. 😝

What a great feeling to logon after an insanely busy Saturday and see all these awesome suggestions.

Sincere thanks to all of you who took the time to chime in, I really appreciate it!

There's a lot to digest here and, truth be told, I will almost certainly end up owning at least one of all the razors suggested. But, it is very nice to have a good starting point and sensible path forward.

I will be sure to update this thread with my first purchase.

Regarding plating...should I even bother with buying re-plated razors or stick to original finishes? How much does a re-plate alter the shave? I'm definitely leaning a certain way but want to hear what you gents have to say.

Again, thanks so much for the advice. You guys made my day! :thumbup:

Regarding plating...should I even bother with buying re-plated razors or stick to original finishes? How much does a re-plate alter the shave? I'm definitely leaning a certain way but want to hear what you gents have to say.

Replating is largely a preference. A replated brass razor can look and shave like new. That's a pretty good trick for a razor that might be nearly 100 years old. There's an art to replating, though, so you want to make sure it's done right.

Replating might not be needed. My Canadian Tech was probably made in the early 1940s, but still looks fine with the original finish. I've got a 1950s Super Speed that looks great. There's a few tiny imperfections in the finish, but you have to look closely to see them.

The RazoRock GC68-P is my all-time favourite modern razor: super mild, super smooth and tank built.
Shave-wise I find my NOS 1970s Gillette Ball End Tech Aluminum very, very close to the RR above. Hence, a late Tech would be my suggestion, Sir.

That is a very interesting suggestion, Signore. My birth year is 1971. 🤔

Very happy to see you enjoy the GC68 as well. It certainly has many fans around here and for good reason I think. I believe we are in excellent company.

Grazie mille, amico mio!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
That is a very interesting suggestion, Signore. My birth year is 1971. 🤔

Very happy to see you enjoy the GC68 as well. It certainly has many fans around here and for good reason I think. I believe we are in excellent company.

Grazie mille, amico mio!
Here are my 2 babies, Sir.

20220224_092821.jpg

20230322_101652.jpg

Yeah.. that's a personal thing... M5 10mm in diameter, 1mm thick nylon...

Outstanding. 👌

Ultimately, I think I will do as @NorthernSoul was suggesting and evaluate on a per razor basis. My preference will likely be to go with original unless the finish is particularly bad or could otherwise benefit from new plating.

It is good to know that we have someone like Chris to lean on for that service. I've seen his name pop up in these pages dozens of times and always for the right reasons.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
@know1special I also have 2 Techs replated by Chris at BRG: a pre-war 1940s Fat Handle made in USA and a post-war 1950s Fat Handle made in Canada. They both have been replated in the original factory Nickel and the finish is simply stunning, flawless as brand new! That said, my all-time favourite Tech is the 1970s Ball End Aluminum made in England pictured above because shave-wise it's the closest to the RR GC68-P. Also, it's a New Old Stock. A dear friend from the US got all of these for me and then made a single shipment to Italy. :gunsmilie:

@know1special I also have 2 Techs replated by Chris at BRG: a pre-war 1940s Fat Handle made in USA and a post-war 1950s Fat Handle made in Canada. They both have been replated in the original factory Nickel and the finish is simply stunning, flawless as brand new! That said, my all-time favourite Tech is the 1970s Ball End Aluminum made in England pictured above because shave-wise it's the closest to the RR GC68-P. Also, it's a New Old Stock. A dear friend from the US got all of these for me and then made a single shipment to Italy. :gunsmilie:

Signore, that is a dear friend indeed. Everyone should have such friends.

It is truly remarkable that not a single cross word can be found here regarding Chris or his company. At least as I'm aware.

Good for him! Not to mention...great for us!

Top Bottom