What's new

Recommend Some Vintage Razors

As I've done so often in the past, I'd like to lean on you wonderful folks for a bit of advice.

I have acquired an enormous pile of razors over the years, but as of right now no vintage items. I'd like to remedy that.

I've never been opposed to obtaining the classics, it's just never happened for whatever reason.

As for preferences, I'd say that currently the RR Game Changer .68 solid bar occupies my sweet spot. Although, I can (and do) shave with heads far milder and far wilder on a regular basis. My comfort zone basically runs from Baili BR171 on up to R41. Generally, I prefer SB to OC but will consider all suggestions. Also, I am a daily shaver if that makes a difference.

As for budget, I'd prefer to keep individual purchases below $100 but am not opposed to exceeding that limit for multiple items.

Thanks very much in advance for your input and for those of you with strong opinions...play nice. ;)

As I've done so often in the past, I'd like to lean on you wonderful folks for a bit of advice.

I have acquired an enormous pile of razors over the years, but as of right now no vintage items. I'd like to remedy that.

I've never been opposed to obtaining the classics, it's just never happened for whatever reason.

As for preferences, I'd say that currently the RR Game Changer .68 solid bar occupies my sweet spot. Although, I can (and do) shave with heads far milder and far wilder on a regular basis. My comfort zone basically runs from Baili BR171 on up to R41. Generally, I prefer SB to OC but will consider all suggestions. Also, I am a daily shaver if that makes a difference.

As for budget, I'd prefer to keep individual purchases below $100 but am not opposed to exceeding that limit for multiple items.

Thanks very much in advance for your input and for those of you with strong opinions...play nice. ;)
Firstly lets cover your sweet spot razor.

I would suggest a Red Tip or English Rocket would replicate the RR the closest. The Two vintages are about .70+ in gap.

You MUST have a Tech! I suggest the earlier the better. A pre war would be very efficient. A pre war Canadian, excellent. An English 50's Tech too, all these mentioned have blade gaps at the .28-30 range. That's as about as efficient as a Tech gets.

The English Flat Bottom Tech is excellent, but can be harder to find.

Try getting those or just the one first.

Beautiful, elegant and purposeful designs and excellent performers.

Last edited:
There's many to choose from, but two of my favorites are the Gillette New Short Comb and Canadian pre-war Tech. The New has been replated in nickel. I usually put the Tech head on a Razorock Super Knurl stainless steel handle which is not strictly vintage, but works well.

For something completely different, how about a GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip (aka Flying Wing)?

The venerable made in USA Gillette Tech is like "required reading" for vintage instruments shaving. It is a mild shave but with the right blade, it can give great results in one smooth pass. Go for the pre-1964 models since Zamak caps, differentiated by beveled ends, were introduced after 1963, if that matters to you.

I am an almost daily shaver (M-F) and also use a Fatip Piccolo which performs similarly.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I second the nomination for the England Flat Bottom Tech... though I've been told by @Cal , the "England" is superfluous. His second favorite Vintage Gillette is the "England" NEW Raised Flat Bottom. I had two Flat Bottom Techs replated by Chris Spencer @Back Roads Gold and a NEW Raised Bottom three piece he had replated in the original silver. #77s and #44 sets respectively. They were wonderful. Unfortunately, I had to part with them to fun a Wolfman. I'm sure I'll regret that sometime in the future but at the moment, I'm loving my bronze Wolfman. ;)

Basic collection: Gillette Old Type, New, Tech, SuperSpeed, Slim, Superadjustable. Schick E, G and J, maybe an M adjustable. Each available for $35 or less; some maybe $10 or less. I have one of each and never spent more than $17. I did not include the Fatboy or Toggle as those command much higher prices.

I second the nomination for the England Flat Bottom Tech... though I've been told by @Cal , the "England" is superfluous. His second favorite Vintage Gillette is the "England" NEW Raised Flat Bottom.
(Currently) my favorite SB razor is my FBT, and my favorite OC razor is my NEW RFB (not my second favorite):
FBTandNEW-RFB_2023-03-25.jpg

They look beautiful, are they Gillette?
Thank you. :biggrin:

Yes, they are Gillettes, but both with GT handles made by my good friend Doug (@Rosseforp).
What do those acronyms stand for?
The abbreviations are:
SB: Safety Bar
FBT: Flat Bottom Tech
OC: Open Comb
NEW RFB: NEW Raised Flat Bottom

HERE's the link to the B&B Wiki Abbreviations and Acronyms page. :wink2:

For reference, one of my favorite razors is the Razorock 68P. Having said that, my favorite vintage Gillette razors are the Tech (pre-war, post-war, flat bottom...any really), and the New long comb or short comb.

Before I got my Timeless .68 and started messing around with shavettes, I was using my pre-war Tech often. I'm watching a nice one right now on the 'bay that's listed for $10 plus 8 bucks shipping.

If I didn't already have waaaaay too many Techs, I would have bought it.

So I recommend a fat handle Tech pre-war it is my favorite. I have about 8 Techs maybe more. I like the fat handle best but I also have several ball-end Techs. Also there are plenty of After-market handles that can be had. The fat handle Tech has given me some of my best shaves ever. I also recommend a 50s Super Speed. Super Speed are Wonderful razors and are very affordable.

Top Bottom