What's new

Seeking Recommendations for the Perfect DE Razor for Coarse Hair & Sensitive Skin

First all, everyone thinks that they have coarse hair and sensitive skin. Often, this boils down to needing to hone your technique. Also, almost any of the razors that have been mentioned will give a great shave. If it were me, I would recommend 1 of 3 razors.
  • Gillette Tech (I know that you don't want one because it's vintage, but can be had for $15 on ebay and last forever.)
  • Henson AL13+ (The most user friendly razor that I have tried.)
  • Baili BD176 (You can pick it up for $10 off of Amazon.)
Of course, you can also go with the Razorock Gamechanger and the Rockwell 6C. They're both fine razors, but until your technique improves none of these are going to cut it for you.

BTW, I don't like the Feather Popular. It's too light and it will cause you to use too much pressure and thus bad technique. I also don't find the blade bend to be sufficient.

Second, in my experience, blade matters more than the razor. Half of the razors out there are clones of something else. So find a razor that you like and then experience with a blade sampler to find one that works for your face. My guess is that you the blades that you are using are likely not sharp enough; although, Gillette 7 o'clocks have always worked well for me.

Third, try some different creams and soaps. Proraso Green and Palmolive Classic are my favorites creams. (I've heard less than good things about Proraso White.). And you can go far down the soap rabbit hole as well. But I would question if your lather and technique are sufficient before I go spend a bunch of money on razors.

So, yes, ditch the Feather Popular. Find something that is known to be mild, but use a very SHARP blade. Experiment with your cream and lather. Take time to hone your technique and you'll be happy. But jumping from razor to razor without considering these other elements is only going to end in frustration for you.

Lots just think one thing will solve their problem. It is usually never just one thing.
I disagree. There is one thing that will solve every shaving problem, and that's a good technique. Some people can shave with just water and no mirror. Some people can shave with little or no prep work. Some people can't shave without a bunch of pre-shave treatments to prepare their skin, and some require a bunch of post-shave treatments to recover from the damage they've done. We're all somewhere in there, and as you said it's usually a combination of things.

For example, I need not worry much about pre-shave products, but I use a little bit of Tend Skin to help stop irritation before it starts - especially when I use a particularly aggressive razor. And that's effective for me. But if I were to improve my technique further (and I do aim to do that over time), I may not need it at all.

I

Island

You might want to consider the timeless .95 scalloped razor. They have a 30 day money back guarantee. It is gentle yet fairly efficient but a bit expensive.

Well, I would suggest the Overlander, an excellent razor and the R41 which is also efficient without the overly aggressiveness of the original models. Do not be put off by the OC label...because the R41 is not (in my estimation) a true OC but rather a kind of hybrid form. Anyway I stayed away from it because of my early experiences, but because of good reviews about the newest versions I bought one and it's been a great razor.

Almost everyone thinks they have tough hair and sensitive skin when they start trying to learn DE razors. Of course, some folks do, but often as your technique improves the "tough hair and sensitive skin" seem to become less of a problem.

It's a common claim, but to be fair, many people try DE shaving because they get too much irritation from cartridge razors. Unfortunately, many people also have years of ingrained bad habits from using cartridge razors also. I know I did. It's the biggest thing that people new to DE need to overcome.

An nth number of suggestions for a new razor won't fix it.

IMHO OP should be focusing on things like practice lathers and getting the blade angle right and not swapping equipment or jacking around with adjustable razors and swappable plates. That's just going to introduce more variables and cause more potential problems.

IMHO OP should be focusing on things like practice lathers and getting the blade angle right and not swapping equipment or jacking around with adjustable razors and swappable plates. That's just going to introduce more variables and cause more potential problems.
Yep, I made a series of mistakes when I was new, including trying too many razors before I really knew what I was doing. And then when I had irritation, I blamed it on soap ingredients instead of focusing on my technique. It took a while before I was willing to try soap with lanolin because I thought I was allergic, turns out I was actually allergic to scraping my face with sharpened steel without learning how to do it correctly.

My query was simple, based on what I could share, if anyone had comments on what Razor might fit well based on the list. That's it.

I am new to DE with a weeks worth of shave and a fair amount of combing through the forum etc. Anyways thanks.

Well a week is not much time, experiment with the info you have, try a MILD BLADE SAMPLER, and hope you find a combo that works for you.

Using a DE is a skill, and skills take time to master. Be happy it 2023, not late 1950's or 1960's. Back then you have No Forums to bounce question off of. Learning was trail, effort, and if lucky you had a Gillette Razor with basic instruction sheet.

Last suggest is U-tube many great Tube on Basis DE 101 shaving tips.

Using a DE is a skill, and skills take time to master. Be happy it 2023, not late 1950's or 1960's. Back then you have No Forums to bounce question off of. Learning was trail, effort, and if lucky you had a Gillette Razor with basic instruction sheet.
I would argue that this would be a better way to learn, all we're doing is sending OP mixed signals and recommendations that may not work for him. It's much better to work on something alone, in my opinion, and move onto new/different stuff once you're comfortable with the current state of things. Reading these forums is a sure-fire way to get overwhelmed or lose focus on the primary goal, which is simply hair removal.

Do you have King C. Gillette razors in your local supermarket? Gillette Platinum or Wilkinson Sword blades? Imo, that's all you need. Honestly, I've been through samples and samples of blades, just stick to regular Gillettes you can find in your local stores. There isn't a magical factory of perfect blades in the mountains of Pakistan.

Same goes for razors. If the KCG razor becomes too mild as you develop your technique, get a Gillette Tech or a Superspeed from Ebay. There is no need to buy 100 dollar razors. I've had a Yaqi razor and the Rockwell 6c, I would not recommend them. The build quality of Yaqis is questionable and the Rockwell I got had messed up blade alignment, it's all Chinese made mumbo jumbo.

Do you have King C. Gillette razors in your local supermarket? Gillette Platinum or Wilkinson Sword blades? Imo, that's all you need. Honestly, I've been through samples and samples of blades, just stick to regular Gillettes you can find in your local stores. There isn't a magical factory of perfect blades in the mountains of Pakistan.

Same goes for razors. If the KCG razor becomes too mild as you develop your technique, get a Gillette Tech or a Superspeed from Ebay. There is no need to buy 100 dollar razors. I've had a Yaqi razor and the Rockwell 6c, I would not recommend them. The build quality of Yaqis is questionable and the Rockwell I got had messed up blade alignment, it's all Chinese made mumbo jumbo.

I do not know where you are but finding any DE Blade where I live in War-Mart, CVS, or Walgreens-Green is not option. The local store don't sell. I always do e-bay, or look at online dealers with sales. King C. Gillette razors are one in blue moon available at local Walgreens.

Think the three store I mention locally focus on disposable stuff, because it generates on going sales, and more profits.

I disagree. There is one thing that will solve every shaving problem, and that's a good technique. Some people can shave with just water and no mirror. Some people can shave with little or no prep work. Some people can't shave without a bunch of pre-shave treatments to prepare their skin, and some require a bunch of post-shave treatments to recover from the damage they've done. We're all somewhere in there, and as you said it's usually a combination of things.

For example, I need not worry much about pre-shave products, but I use a little bit of Tend Skin to help stop irritation before it starts - especially when I use a particularly aggressive razor. And that's effective for me. But if I were to improve my technique further (and I do aim to do that over time), I may not need it at all.
Sure you can disagree all you what....But technique is what?

My younger brother has superior shaving skills.
But he does not take care of his skin at all. It shows, does here care, no.

That is why I believe it a not one dimensional.
We still stress out our skin after the shave, even with no irritation.
Plus as we get older (or have different skin types), things can change. We should be aware.
So yes, great technique is the key foundation.
But all around that including the shave, in can be beneficial to care of your face/skin..
I just try help people look a the big picture.

Shavers have to find out what works best for them, all around the process.

I run (4 times a week) , after the run I have a post recovery process.
Is it necessary, for me ..hell yah...
Or it just about running form/techniques?

Your face , your shave...
BFX

Oh sure, if he’s not taking care of his skin otherwise I’m sure it shows. But we’re talking about shaving. I can shove my entire face in a meat grinder, too, but that has nothing to do with whether I have a good technique or not.

I agree - I would never usually recommend an adjustable for a newbie. But as OP already has one, that's why I suggest that they find a setting on the razor that they are comfortable with and then just stick with it for 30-60 shaves - forget about the adjustability and build some muscle memory.

Anyway, I am sure we have all supplied enough contradictory advice to scare them off now! Hopefully though they will be inspired to stick with it for a while, get a few more shaves under their belt, work on prep and razor technique, and then worry about finding the "perfect razor"...after all, we all know where that journey leads (he said, whilst looking at the box full of razors poking out from under the bed).

I do not know where you are but finding any DE Blade where I live in War-Mart, CVS, or Walgreens-Green is not option. The local store don't sell. I always do e-bay, or look at online dealers with sales. King C. Gillette razors are one in blue moon available at local Walgreens.

Think the three store I mention locally focus on disposable stuff, because it generates on going sales, and more profits.
I see. Well, then my advice is go online and get a 10 pack of regular Wilkinson Swords and Gillette Platinum. And to order the KCG razor. It's mild, it's very gentle and it has proper weight so you won't press down too much. You know what I learned from blade samplers? Gillette is Gillette.

Well someone above said something like people think they have sensitive skin, and tough beard.

Did as youth, beard mellowed with age. Skin sensitivity still problem.

Hello fellow shaving enthusiasts,

Background:
I've been striving to discover the ideal DE razor that complements my coarse hair and sensitive skin. A few years ago, I took a leap into the world of DE razors with the Yintal TTO Adjustable, paired with the Gillette 7 O’clock blades. Unfortunately, it tugged quite a lot and I found myself retreating back to my previous razors. However, I've recently been motivated to delve back into DE shaving and have armed myself with some research.

What I've Tried:
- Yintal TTO Adjustable: This was my first foray into DE razors and I tried it years ago. Sadly, it was far from a smooth experience, as it tugged noticeably and then I went back to razors.
- Feather Popular: Tried this recently with a feather blade. It provided a decent shave, but I encountered considerable razor burn and irritation.

Current Considerations:
After some reading, I believe I'm leaning towards a medium aggressive DE razor. However, with my limited experience, I'm uncertain of what truly constitutes as "mild", making it a challenge to set a benchmark. Given that I have coarse hair, I'm wary that a mild razor might necessitate multiple passes, which could further irritate my sensitive skin.

From my research, I've narrowed down a potential list:
1. Rockwell 6S: I speculate I might gravitate towards blade 3 or 4.
2. Game Changer: Torn between .68 or .84.
3. Karve Overlord.
4. Yaqi: Considering the dual comb models like Vostok 70dc or 90dc. The idea of having both an open and closed comb together intrigues me.
5. DS Cosmetics x1 dual comb
6. DS Cosmetics S8 or S9 scalloped.

Current Setup:
I've been using the Feather Popular paired with Proraso Sensitive White Cream. Additionally, I have Proraso sensitive pre-shave cream and post-shave products arriving soon.

With all that said, I'd truly appreciate your insights. Based on my experience and needs, which razor would you recommend I explore next?

Thank you in advance for your guidance and suggestions!
I saw that you selected inexpensive razors and slightly more expensive razors
my advice, merkur progress or parker variant if you want to spend little
A merkur progress set to 1 or 2 is very delicate, however when you improve your technique it allows you to increase efficiency

I agree with @Mr_Konrad_Dundee and Merkur Progress. Great for learning, can be mild on low settings, efficient on higher. I used WTG between 3 and 4, after on setting 2 - irritation free but close shaving. Later I discovered Henson AL13+++ not really aggressive, just close shave but very easy no irritation for me. Next step Karve Overlander, even more mild but still efficient for daily shave, best ATG ever for me. But for little money Merkur Progress is very nice.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The Rex Konsul is advertised as being well suited to coarse beard and sensitive skin. I would try GSBs or Lab Blues.

There are so many good razors out there that would work, and a razor blade sampler from Razor Blade Club is a real good idea along with a real,real good shaving soap.

For my really sensitive easy to cut skin I usually have to cork most blades before use. Especially a Feather.

My best razor blade combo for me is a Rex Konsul and a Treet Falcon blade. But with practice I have had really good results with other razors (Gillette Super Speed, Icon X3 slant, Parker semi slant, Schick krona and Icon B1 slant) but YMMV.

Get a really good shave soap, here are some of my favorites Mikes Naturals, Ethos, Eleven, Lisa's Naturals, Faena, Razorock, Declaration Grooming, Tallow & Steel, Macduffs, WhoolyKow, Wispers in the Woods, Hendrix Classics and Company or Razor Emporium Heritage (which is really slick).

Whatever you end up getting just work on your technique and you will be fine.

Top Bottom