What's new

Seeking Recommendations for the Perfect DE Razor for Coarse Hair & Sensitive Skin

Hello fellow shaving enthusiasts,

Background:
I've been striving to discover the ideal DE razor that complements my coarse hair and sensitive skin. A few years ago, I took a leap into the world of DE razors with the Yintal TTO Adjustable, paired with the Gillette 7 O’clock blades. Unfortunately, it tugged quite a lot and I found myself retreating back to my previous razors. However, I've recently been motivated to delve back into DE shaving and have armed myself with some research.

What I've Tried:
- Yintal TTO Adjustable: This was my first foray into DE razors and I tried it years ago. Sadly, it was far from a smooth experience, as it tugged noticeably and then I went back to razors.
- Feather Popular: Tried this recently with a feather blade. It provided a decent shave, but I encountered considerable razor burn and irritation.

Current Considerations:
After some reading, I believe I'm leaning towards a medium aggressive DE razor. However, with my limited experience, I'm uncertain of what truly constitutes as "mild", making it a challenge to set a benchmark. Given that I have coarse hair, I'm wary that a mild razor might necessitate multiple passes, which could further irritate my sensitive skin.

From my research, I've narrowed down a potential list:
1. Rockwell 6S: I speculate I might gravitate towards blade 3 or 4.
2. Game Changer: Torn between .68 or .84.
3. Karve Overlord.
4. Yaqi: Considering the dual comb models like Vostok 70dc or 90dc. The idea of having both an open and closed comb together intrigues me.
5. DS Cosmetics x1 dual comb
6. DS Cosmetics S8 or S9 scalloped.

Current Setup:
I've been using the Feather Popular paired with Proraso Sensitive White Cream. Additionally, I have Proraso sensitive pre-shave cream and post-shave products arriving soon.

With all that said, I'd truly appreciate your insights. Based on my experience and needs, which razor would you recommend I explore next?

Thank you in advance for your guidance and suggestions!

How is your current razor? Anything wrong with it? How long have you been using it? How is your technique?

IMHO there are way too many razors on the market now. Many of them appear to be cheap knockoffs of something else, then rebadged with a new name. Then you have the CNC'd razors, where different brands come and go and steal each others designs or base the geometry off an old razor.

If you look at this chart you'll see measurements of blade gaps. It used to be that a beginner was recommended the old standbys, like a Merkur 34C, a Gillette Superspeed, Gillette Tech, etc. Later the Muhle/Jagger DE89 came on the market and got very popular. If you look at the blade gaps of those, they should provide a clue.

Note that a big or small blade gap won't compensate for bad technique. Unfortunately I see a lot of bad technique on social media these days with many folks doing the "vaccuum cleaner" strokes where they shave over the same area too many times with the lather scraped off. Not good.

Looks like the blade gap of the Feather Popular is .61mm. That should be sufficient to get a good 2 pass WTG + XTG shave with a sharp blade. If you got razor burn that means your technique is somehow off.

Re: your cream, Proraso products are not my personal favorite but they do work and provide enough protection from the blade when used properly. Too thin lather and you won't get enough protection. Too thick and it will dry out and make shaving difficult, while gumming up your blade and razor.

Last edited:
I agree with @cvac, there are way too many razors on the market.

You might consider the Rockwell 6C (Chrome) or 6S (Stainless). You have six settings to choose from to find your perfect blade gap. For me, the #4 plate works best. It gives a nice, smooth shave and is an almost autopilot shave.

The Tech is also a good choice as well.

Well there is no magic answer that is 110% Right, you got what I use to call Young Guy problem, thought beard, sensitive skin. Me about 50 years ago, my solution was Gillette Slim, and Blue Blade, and two passes. Never chased BBS Shave except military, it was a blood experience.

Are you applying pressure to Razor or letting Razors weight accomplish mission. Could be you need two passes, and then cll it quits.

Remember doctors only practice, many time getting their diagnosis wrong until they try enough step to Cure, Killer, or Cripple Patient.:c2:

I agree that you probably need to focus on technique and finding a blade that works well for you. When your technique is good enough, you can get a shave out of pretty much anything - if your technique isn't sufficient, then razor burn, nicks, tugging and poor shaves will persist regardless of what razor you use. I am not familiar with the Yintal, but from what I can tell it is well liked by experienced shavers, and people specifically say that it should be an easy razor for beginners to dial in to their satisfaction.

The first thing I would suggest you do is pick up a blade sampler from somewhere like Razor Blades Club and experiment with finding a blade and setting on the Yintal that are comfortable for you. Focus on holding a consistent angle and a light touch, using short strokes.

If you tell us a bit more about your experience, i.e. how long you have been DE shaving (in terms of how many actual shaves you have completeed), how often you are shaving, and how you prep for your shave, then we can offer more advice. All of these are really important factors in getting a good traditional wet shave.

Well you will end up trying for yourself what works best for you.
For me the Rockwell 6s would be a good start,and maybe already the end of your search.
Just for your orientation..
The Popular feels similar to R2 plate.
The Gamechanger. 84 is more like plate 5, the 068 is between plate 3 and 4. For me the 84 Gamechanger was too much.

Something super-efficient with a sharp blade. An R41 and a Gillette Silver Blue blade is the combination I use when already have some irritation because with a very light touch you can still get a great shave without further aggravating your skin. I assume the same could be said for sensitive skin without shave-related irritation, but I would argue that the vast majority of us have pretty sensitive skin on our face and neck.

Tech and some Gillette Silver Blues!

Hearing about Tech for the first time. I scanned through and see that it would be some vintage picks - it does look good, but I would really prefer something new for now!

How is your current razor? Anything wrong with it? How long have you been using it? How is your technique?

IMHO there are way too many razors on the market now. Many of them appear to be cheap knockoffs of something else, then rebadged with a new name. Then you have the CNC'd razors, where different brands come and go and steal each others designs or base the geometry off an old razor.

If you look at this chart you'll see measurements of blade gaps. It used to be that a beginner was recommended the old standbys, like a Merkur 34C, a Gillette Superspeed, Gillette Tech, etc. Later the Muhle/Jagger DE89 came on the market and got very popular. If you look at the blade gaps of those, they should provide a clue.

Note that a big or small blade gap won't compensate for bad technique. Unfortunately I see a lot of bad technique on social media these days with many folks doing the "vaccuum cleaner" strokes where they shave over the same area too many times with the lather scraped off. Not good.

Looks like the blade gap of the Feather Popular is .61mm. That should be sufficient to get a good 2 pass WTG + XTG shave with a sharp blade. If you got razor burn that means your technique is somehow off.

Re: your cream, Proraso products are not my personal favorite but they do work and provide enough protection from the blade when used properly. Too thin lather and you won't get enough protection. Too thick and it will dry out and make shaving difficult, while gumming up your blade and razor.

I tried the Yintal Adjustable pre-covid for about two weeks - with Gillette Sensitive "Foam" (no pre-shave) and it was always very draggy and needed to be constantly opened and watered as I used it - hair would get stuck. So foam wasn't the best choice, but that was a start. I went back to regular Gillette Fusion after that.

Tried Feather Popular three times in last 4-5 days and I have had a lot of post-shave burn around the neck. It was used with a brush + prosaro shaving cream (though it doesn't really lather as much as I would like).

In the first shave, I did do the "vacuum strokes" but corrected that in the last two shaves.

1. Brush in warm water
2. Shave Cream with enough lather
3. WTG page (or actually multiple small and long strokes, but perhaps the third short stroke goes on non-lathered skin)
4. Re-lather + XTG on face and ATG on neck

I am waiting for my prosaro pre-shave cream to come in next week... hopefully that helps.
You might consider the Rockwell 6C (Chrome) or 6S (Stainless). You have six settings to choose from to find your perfect blade gap. For me, the #4 plate works best. It gives a nice, smooth shave and is an almost autopilot shave.

Yes, they are on my list based on what I have seen on this forum and reddit. But it does look a little too bulky for my taste - but I can live with it and the adjustable plates are good!
Well there is no magic answer that is 110% Right, you got what I use to call Young Guy problem, thought beard, sensitive skin. Me about 50 years ago, my solution was Gillette Slim, and Blue Blade, and two passes. Never chased BBS Shave except military, it was a blood experience.

Are you applying pressure to Razor or letting Razors weight accomplish mission. Could be you need two passes, and then cll it quits.

ROFL.. ah how I wish I were a young guy... but yeah I am fresh to DE. I was applying some pressure with Feather Popular, and then reduced it... the weight of the razor isn't sufficient to work without pressure.
I agree that you probably need to focus on technique and finding a blade that works well for you. When your technique is good enough, you can get a shave out of pretty much anything - if your technique isn't sufficient, then razor burn, nicks, tugging and poor shaves will persist regardless of what razor you use. I am not familiar with the Yintal, but from what I can tell it is well liked by experienced shavers, and people specifically say that it should be an easy razor for beginners to dial in to their satisfaction.

The first thing I would suggest you do is pick up a blade sampler from somewhere like Razor Blades Club and experiment with finding a blade and setting on the Yintal that are comfortable for you. Focus on holding a consistent angle and a light touch, using short strokes.

If you tell us a bit more about your experience, i.e. how long you have been DE shaving (in terms of how many actual shaves you have completeed), how often you are shaving, and how you prep for your shave, then we can offer more advice. All of these are really important factors in getting a good traditional wet shave.

Technique is rough since it's only been three shaves in the last few days with Feather Popular.. The Yintal (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32962159070.html) was a few years ago. I haven't ordered an expensive razor yet because I need to first sort basic technique and decide the aggressive level (but I doubt I would have a clue without actually having the razors to support it).

I have also ordered a blade sample pack which should get me to use Feather, Derby, Gilette (SBS, Platinum, Nacet), Astra (SS/SP), Personna Blue and one or two other brands - but I will need to resolve basic technique before it.
For me the Rockwell 6s would be a good start,and maybe already the end of your search.
Just for your orientation..
The Popular feels similar to R2 plate.
The Gamechanger. 84 is more like plate 5, the 068 is between plate 3 and 4. For me the 84 Gamechanger was too much.

Thanks! that is helpful. I guess the plate 4/5 might be more like the 6/7 of the Yintal I used a long long time ago (faint recollection). From my current experience with FP, I think I might be more on the lines of .68 OC / CS.
An R41 and a Gillette Silver Blue blade is the combination I use when already have some irritation because with a very light touch you can still get a great shave without further aggravating your skin.

The R41 was one of the first I looked at, and then I was enlightened by the fact that there is something called Open Combs and they are more aggressive and I can nick easy etc etc - So haven't kept them in the list due to that!

lasta

Blade Biter
Hearing about Tech for the first time. I scanned through and see that it would be some vintage picks - it does look good, but I would really prefer something new for now!

I tried the Yintal Adjustable pre-covid for about two weeks - with Gillette Sensitive "Foam" (no pre-shave) and it was always very draggy and needed to be constantly opened and watered as I used it - hair would get stuck. So foam wasn't the best choice, but that was a start. I went back to regular Gillette Fusion after that.

Tried Feather Popular three times in last 4-5 days and I have had a lot of post-shave burn around the neck. It was used with a brush + prosaro shaving cream (though it doesn't really lather as much as I would like).

In the first shave, I did do the "vacuum strokes" but corrected that in the last two shaves.

1. Brush in warm water
3. WTG page (or actually multiple small and long strokes, but perhaps the third short stroke goes on non-lathered skin)

I am waiting for my prosaro pre-shave cream to come in next week... hopefully that helps.

Yes, they are on my list based on what I have seen on this forum and reddit. But it does look a little too bulky for my taste - but I can live with it and the adjustable plates are good!

ROFL.. ah how I wish I were a young guy... but yeah I am fresh to DE. I was applying some pressure with Feather Popular, and then reduced it... the weight of the razor isn't sufficient to work without pressure.

Technique is rough since it's only been three shaves in the last few days with Feather Popular.. The Yintal (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32962159070.html) was a few years ago. I haven't ordered an expensive razor yet because I need to first sort basic technique and decide the aggressive level (but I doubt I would have a clue without actually having the razors to support it).

I have also ordered a blade sample pack which should get me to use Feather, Derby, Gilette (SBS, Platinum, Nacet), Astra (SS/SP), Personna Blue and one or two other brands - but I will need to resolve basic technique before it.

Thanks! that is helpful. I guess the plate 4/5 might be more like the 6/7 of the Yintal I used a long long time ago (faint recollection). From my current experience with FP, I think I might be more on the lines of .68 OC / CS.

The R41 was one of the first I looked at, and then I was enlightened by the fact that there is something called Open Combs and they are more aggressive and I can nick easy etc etc - So haven't kept them in the list due to that!
Cheers for preferring modern.

But one can run around in circles for years before discovering Tech perfection!

Well the guy who stared this has unknown thing he want advice on.

Those who reply are trying to give ideas.

Bottom line is only person seeking advice, can try ideas to try and find fix to problrm.

My query was simple, based on what I could share, if anyone had comments on what Razor might fit well based on the list. That's it.

I am new to DE with a weeks worth of shave and a fair amount of combing through the forum etc. Anyways thanks.

I don't think open combs are by default more aggressive than others, but if you compare a razor with a safety bar to the same razor with an open comb there is probably going to be a small difference in aggressiveness. It's not going to be "rip your face off" aggressive though. And neither is the R41 if you're careful.

But with the aggressiveness comes efficiency, which is what you're looking for: something that takes fewer passes and less pressure to remove hair than it takes to give you irritation. You may try the Blackland Blackbird, it's a fantastic razor and extremely efficient, but doesn't have quite the same level of aggressiveness as an R41 or others in the category. I recommend the titanium version since it's lighter than stainless, which typically translates to even less aggression with virtually the same efficiency. It's expensive though.

You may also check out a Henson +++ in aluminum. The titanium version is great, but the aluminum one is even better in terms of weight and aggressiveness while remaining efficient if that's what you're in search of (for the same reason listed above).

I highly recommend aggressive razors for sensitive skin, as long as your technique can handle it. And if it can't, now is the best time to hone your skills.

There is a lot of unknowns here, plus adding all the variables in the shave it tough do debug your issue. As a few of great members have indicted skills, technique, patience and consistency is the foundation. But also it is a combination of all. Simple example, I do have the skills but if I don't execute all the right prep/in shave/post shave steps, a crappy irritating shave most likely will result. Wrong blade for my razor or wrong blade for my face, not good. As you can see ....I not above one thing.
Lots just think one thing will solve their problem. It is usually never just one thing. You could buy and trying razors until the cows come home. But I think your first selection is a great place to start. The 6C or 6S is a great option to start with. The plates give you a lot of choices to see what will take down the stubble (reduction) the best for you. It might be one with the grain pass with plate 3/4..then switching to a lower plate for the next one(or two), maybe another lower for touch up... This combo with reduce that stubble gradually. Giving you a chance to hone your skills and hopefully eliminate irritation.
Note: focus on glide / no pressure / never shave on a dry skin / patience/ consistency/ shave smart - be methodical ..but have fun..
You will still need to find a blade or two that works in that razor and for your face.
Got to fly...
Good Luck
BFX

get prep/great lather/great post shave - skin recovery..
it unusually never is just one thing...

Lots just think one thing will solve their problem. It is usually never just one thing. You could buy and trying razors until the cows come home. But I think your first selection is a great place to start. The 6C or 6S is a great option to start with. The plates give you a lot of choices to see what will take down the stubble (reduction) the best for you. It might be one with the grain pass with plate 3/4..then switching to a lower plate for the next one(or two), maybe another lower for touch up... This combo with reduce that stubble gradually. Giving you a chance to hone your skills and hopefully eliminate irritation.

Great thanks, I can continue using FP for a month and then see :)

Great thanks, I can continue using FP for a month and then see :)
If you are referring to the Feather blade and still getting irritation. My suggestion would be finding one a little less sharp. Best to go mild up then sharp down. No pressure thou. Also I have no idea how that yintal adjustable is or what the range is. You may have to play with that (setting) to be efficient ( & smart) and at the same time lower the risk of irritation.

NOS (new old stock) Techs do pop up from time to time. It's a good, proven razor. You can probably buy one for $20 or less.

Not ideal. I have never heard of Yintal. I do not put much stock into off-brand Ali Express type razors. Frequently they do have issues or are just poor copies of something else.

Note that it is common to have to rinse a DE razor after a few strokes on each side. Some razors clog more easily than others, but all DE razors can clog if not used properly.

1. Brush in warm water

3 times is not enough experience. You are also doing too many passes (IMHO) for someone starting out. You should ideally be doing only one pass, or 2 passes max. Forget about ATG for now.

If Proraso doesn't lather enough you might not be using enough product. Use more than you think you might need, it's not a big deal to have leftover lather while you dial things in. Is this Proraso in the metal tube or the one in the jar? Either way it should lather up easily if you are using it right. A pea-sized amount won't cut it...use 3-4 times as much.

Pre-shave doesn't do much IME. Some people find it softens the hair a little and provides an extra layer of slickness.

I was applying some pressure with Feather Popular, and then reduced it... the weight of the razor isn't sufficient to work without pressure.

Too much pressure and wrong angle means you are scraping your face. There should be barely any pressure at all. Start with the handle of the razor parallel to the floor and carefully rotate down a tiny bit until the blade reaches the proper cutting angle.

Technique is rough since it's only been three shaves in the last few days with Feather Popular..
You need more practice and need to work on technique. A new razor is probably not the answer for you. If you must buy a new razor, get something proven. Stay away from weird or overly expensive stuff, off-brand Ali-Express stuff, etc.

You misread. I want to pick up a new piece and not a used razor. Personal preference. A new tech would be fine.

There are many modern razors which are copies of the Tech style and shave very similarly to a Tech. All are cheap, so you could test the water without a significant outlay. Four examples to consider are:

- The Lord L5 (or L122)
- The Baili bd176
- The Gillette Sterling (a modern Tech made in India)
- The Gillette Super Blue (a modern Tech made in China)

With only a handful of shaves under your belt, I suspect that your problems are mostly technique and / or unsuitable blade selection. The blade sampler sounds good. Set your adjutable to around 3 or 4, work through the sampler to find a blade you like, then buy a few tucks of them and do between 30-60 shaves, then see where you are at.

(Edit: from what I am reading, people say the Yintal adjustable is quite mild overall. You might actually need to set it at the higher end, rather than the mid-point. Try it at 6 or 7 too and see if that makes life easier.)

Almost everyone thinks they have tough hair and sensitive skin when they start trying to learn DE razors. Of course, some folks do, but often as your technique improves the "tough hair and sensitive skin" seem to become less of a problem.

Also, you should definitely do some research into proper, water-based prep prior to shaving. A thorough prep is so important for a good wet shave. Here is a post I made in a recent discussion about prep. If you do indeed have tough hair, a good prep should make a significant difference to your comfort.

Top Bottom