What's new

Seeking Recommendations for the Perfect DE Razor for Coarse Hair & Sensitive Skin

@Iridian since you use razors from both DS Cosmetic and Yaqi, i wanted to check if the titanium handles of DS Cosmetics went smoothly with the stainless steel heads from Yaqi?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Iridian since you use razors from both DS Cosmetic and Yaqi, i wanted to check if the titanium handles of DS Cosmetics went smoothly with the stainless steel heads from Yaqi?
Hmm, I mostly have steel handles from DSCosmetics! Only one in Ti. But shouldn't matter if steel or Ti, actually.

They all use MX5 thread, so it works. DSCosmetic threading is sometimes NOT that good/perfect, so they might screw in a bit tight. Sometimes there is quite some black gunk in the handles, I think not lubricant residue but leftovers from machining.

Yaqi handles are a bit better in this regard; not only do they offer polished versions, theirs seem hand polished vs electro polished, they are simply grippier, better grip, less slippery. The threading is good, not quite as buttery as Timeless, but also MX5 and I had no problem with their handles so far.

Hmm, I mostly have steel handles from DSCosmetics! Only one in Ti. But shouldn't matter if steel or Ti, actually.

They all use MX5 thread, so it works. DSCosmetic threading is sometimes NOT that good/perfect, so they might screw in a bit tight. Sometimes there is quite some black gunk in the handles, I think not lubricant residue but leftovers from machining.

Yaqi handles are a bit better in this regard; not only do they offer polished versions, theirs seem hand polished vs electro polished, they are simply grippier, better grip, less slippery. The threading is good, not quite as buttery as Timeless, but also MX5 and I had no problem with their handles so far.
Thanks! Off to close my purchases ;)

Finally ordered the DSCosmetics S9 Titanium with THT handle (the DS Cosmetics team had the update that it’s hand polished, so hopefully it’s grippy) for 59 bucks including shipping! That was quite a deal.

I have paired this with Yaqi Tile Stainless Steel head (I think it’s a Henson clone with a 1.15) . I already have my eyes on their Ghost .9 head… maybe a few months later.

These should be delivered next week and I will share a review once I have used them for a month.

Thanks everyone.

Lots of good advice on here. I would echo that technique rules all, it can fix subpar equipment. However, the best razor in terms of gentleness and efficiency, in my humble, yet correct opinion is THE GOATLANDER.

Karve Overlander. Buy the cheapest one you can find used or new, use a slightly shallow angle with a medium-sharp blade, and go on your merry way. Brass will cost you about 90 bucks US.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Finally ordered the DSCosmetics S9 Titanium with THT handle (the DS Cosmetics team had the update that it’s hand polished, so hopefully it’s grippy)
I sometimes think they read the forum. Maybe they will get the memo that their Zamac WR2 clone has plates 2 and 3 swapped, too...^^

Hmm, you don't have my handles, so it will be hard to compare. But just check the knurled areas of the handle, if they are absolutely not pointy but smooth, I would rather say that's electropolishing. Hand polishing such knurls tends to leave them way more grippy. (Edit: just to make it clear, they should write that in the product description if it is true. For shoes they never dare to put that in the product description, but happily tell you that the not yet released Brooks Caldera 7 e.g. is truly "legit" e.g..)

Ah well, will see when I order another razor by them. But not right now, I got already a ton of razors lately.

Karve Overlander. Buy the cheapest one you can find used or new, use a slightly shallow angle with a medium-sharp blade, and go on your merry way. Brass will cost you about 90 bucks US.
Honestly Karve Overlander, Lambda Ares and Timeless were amongst my top picks but cost + shipping into Asia just wasn’t worth it. Unfortunately couldn’t find any used ones around Singapore.
I sometimes think they read the forum. Maybe they will get the memo that their Zamac WR2 clone has plates 2 and 3 swapped, too...^^

Hmm, you don't have my handles, so it will be hard to compare. But just check the knurled areas of the handle, if they are absolutely not pointy but smooth, I would rather say that's electropolishing. Hand polishing such knurls tends to leave them way more grippy.

I will update on the knurl once I get the razor. Also you could see the video on the AliExpress link for the THT/Knurl handle - the woman in the product video specifically is mentioning it is hand polished and not machine (Dscosmetic CNC Titanium double edge safety razor handle - https://a.aliexpress.com/_mN4pmf2 ) - but who knows. It still looks a little too polished?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
but who knows. It still looks a little too polished?
Yeah, I don't believe them, as it has this smooth look of electrochemical polishing. One can also feel it when comparing it to other handles. It might even be a favorite among people who favor smoothness over grip.

In terms of knurls being knurly...
1. Razorock Super Knurl: The knurls are pointy and sharp, you can rip your skin if your run it quickly through the close hand, almost a file. Supreme grip,but could be smoother, IMO.
2. Alpha Bravo/Viper/etc. handles: Very good grip, but smoother than the Razorock <--- my gold standard next to Timeless Ti Crown!
(... with noticeable distance in terms of grip)
3. Yaqi SS polished handles: Smooth, relatively grippy, but not as good as Alpha.
4. DSCosmetics: Here even the straight copy of the Razorock Superknurl is super smooth, the grip is the least of all handles in this ranking. There is still grip, it's not a catastrophe, but it is noticeably less than the others.

I will echo the prevailing sentiment that technique is what really matters. If you took a poll on BnB, I'm guessing "coarse hair and sensitive skin" would be the most common response. For whatever reason, this has led people to think that more blade gap/exposure is somehow "efficient" and will give them a BBS shave in fewer passes. It won't. In fact, a larger gap with more exposure allows for more mistakes on angle because you can still remove facial hair with bad angles. A Merkur 34c is a great tool that will help you get a very clean shave if you have good technique. After collecting more than 50 razors myself, the best thing for my shave was when I stopped buying razors and focused on just one until I got it right. After I got one down (the Razorock Mambo 70), I went on to other razors. Then I went back to the first razor I ever (EJ DE89) that I thought wasn't "efficient" enough and realized it gave me just as good of a shave as any of the others when I got the technique for that razor correct.

So my advice is look at what you currently have, find your favorite, and use it exclusively until you can get a good shave. Then move on to other razors. If all you have right now are aggressive razors, it may take longer since the larger blade gap will let you make mistakes, but you can figure it out.

I'm late to the party here, but I also have coarse hair and sensitive skin. The Game Changer 84P and the Lupo 72 work very well for me.

I'm late to the party here, but I also have coarse hair and sensitive skin. The Game Changer 84P and the Lupo 72 work very well for me.

Second.

GC.84 lets me be more efficient than the popular mild DE's recommended for sensitive skin.. More so with medium sharpness teflon coated blades. It's honestly a combination of the right tools.

I am not a traditional wet shaver and even switched to Cremo in the shower since I cant really bother using soaps and doing all the prep work involved with "proper shaving".

Have I tried going slow and light touch with proper soaps and what not? Yes... of course.

I just don't really see the point when more "medium-agro" razors with Cremo do a comparable job in half the time 🤣

Edit: My skin is sensitive to the point where letting my facial hair grow 4-5 days turns my face red due to irritation.. coarse thick hair.

The newer GC.76 might be a good option too.. never tried it.

Last edited:
Where about in Asia are you? I’m in Korea and there are some affordable options around if you can find them.

Hello fellow shaving enthusiasts,

Background:
I've been striving to discover the ideal DE razor that complements my coarse hair and sensitive skin. A few years ago, I took a leap into the world of DE razors with the Yintal TTO Adjustable, paired with the Gillette 7 O’clock blades. Unfortunately, it tugged quite a lot and I found myself retreating back to my previous razors. However, I've recently been motivated to delve back into DE shaving and have armed myself with some research.

What I've Tried:
- Yintal TTO Adjustable: This was my first foray into DE razors and I tried it years ago. Sadly, it was far from a smooth experience, as it tugged noticeably and then I went back to razors.
- Feather Popular: Tried this recently with a feather blade. It provided a decent shave, but I encountered considerable razor burn and irritation.

Current Considerations:
After some reading, I believe I'm leaning towards a medium aggressive DE razor. However, with my limited experience, I'm uncertain of what truly constitutes as "mild", making it a challenge to set a benchmark. Given that I have coarse hair, I'm wary that a mild razor might necessitate multiple passes, which could further irritate my sensitive skin.

From my research, I've narrowed down a potential list:
1. Rockwell 6S: I speculate I might gravitate towards blade 3 or 4.
2. Game Changer: Torn between .68 or .84.
3. Karve Overlord.
4. Yaqi: Considering the dual comb models like Vostok 70dc or 90dc. The idea of having both an open and closed comb together intrigues me.
5. DS Cosmetics x1 dual comb
6. DS Cosmetics S8 or S9 scalloped.

Current Setup:
I've been using the Feather Popular paired with Proraso Sensitive White Cream. Additionally, I have Proraso sensitive pre-shave cream and post-shave products arriving soon.

With all that said, I'd truly appreciate your insights. Based on my experience and needs, which razor would you recommend I explore next?

Thank you in advance for your guidance and suggestions!
Muhle R41 combined with Persona Blue or Astra Stainless blades...this set up will give you a comfortable shave since you have sensitive skin. Two passes will be more than enough with the R41 which will also benefit your skin without irritation.

Top Bottom