What's new

RR razor recommendation

I understand that it's a case of YMWV and that it's hard/impossible to recommend a razor but I'd appreciate some pointers if possible.

My current and only razor is the Mühle R41 GS. I've liked and praised it.

I am however looking for something milder (not mild) with less blade feel. Closed comb.

Something to shave with on a more frequent basis.

Which RR razor would fit the bill?

Based on my research so far, the Game Changer (68, 76, 84) or Lupo (58, 72, 95) would work but which iteration?

Thank you

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I haven't used a Game Changer... I had the 72 and 95 Lupos, each with both base plates. I sold them, along with a bunch of other fine razors to buy a pretty expensive one.

Of the less expensive SS razors I have, I can heartily recommend the Green Cult 2.0... for me, the standard Level 2 plate works well. I didn't care for the Level 3 so I didn't pursue the Level 4. I used it for probably 2/3rds of my shaves on a 7 week trip. It works very well for me with a variety of blades.

The Italian Barber has been offering them on their site... let me see if they have them in stock:

Greencult Double Edge Safety Razor - GC 2.0 – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/products/greencult-double-edge-safety-razor-gc-2-0 Yep, still in stock. The Level 2 plate comes with the razor even though it is also sold separately.

Edit: I just checked and they do not sell the Level 2 plate separately... they do offer the other 3 base plate options @ $45.

I haven't used a Game Changer... I had the 72 and 95 Lupos, each with both base plates. I sold them, along with a bunch of other fine razors to buy a pretty expensive one.

Of the less expensive SS razors I have, I can heartily recommend the Green Cult 2.0... for me, the standard Level 2 plate works well. I didn't care for the Level 3 so I didn't pursue the Level 4. I used it for probably 2/3rds of my shaves on a 7 week trip. It works very well for me with a variety of blades.

The Italian Barber has been offering them on their site... let me see if they have them in stock:

Greencult Double Edge Safety Razor - GC 2.0 – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/products/greencult-double-edge-safety-razor-gc-2-0 Yep, still in stock. The Level 2 plate comes with the razor even though it is also sold separately.

Edit: I just checked and they do not sell the Level 2 plate separately... they do offer the other 3 base plate options @ $45.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it. I didn't know/consider RR razors outside their known offerings.

Check out this thread which discusses both of those RR options. I only had a GC 68OC and 84P. I sold both a while ago so I cannot remember much about them other than it being a lackluster experience for me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it. I didn't know/consider RR razors outside their known offerings.
I'm sort of glad Italian Barber worked out a deal to sell the Green Cult 2.0 and 1.1. I first saw them here and as some of my friends here got one and tried it... loved them, I took the plunge too. But I got mine from Austria... took quite a while to show up. I sort of secretly hope Italian Barber buys the design rights and ends up adding them to the RazoRock selections.

The Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 earned its way into my top ____(used to be top 7 but the last few razors I've purchased earned their way there as well). YMMV, as is always the case. This thread starts with the 1.0... but around here, a bunch of us started discussing the 2.0, buying one and reporting back with the results.... If you have an interest... but the RR razors you mentioned are loved by many here.... both models and various base plates.

I understand that it's a case of YMWV and that it's hard/impossible to recommend a razor but I'd appreciate some pointers if possible.

I am however looking for something milder (not mild) with less blade feel. Closed comb.

Based on my research so far, the Game Changer (68, 76, 84) or Lupo (58, 72, 95) would work but which iteration?

Thank you

I'd say the Lupo 95 in your choice of solid bar or open comb (the open comb being a bit more aggressive) is just a bit milder than the R41.

Thank you
I personally like the Lupo over the GC. The GC is a great razor -- smooth, efficient. But the head on the Lupo is a bit smaller and has notches that make shaving around the nostrils a little easier. I've never used the R41 but I believe the .95 would be a little easier to use. But if you' re looking for a daily shaver I might go for the .72. ... Having said that, if I were to choose between the GC .84 SB and the Lupo, I would choose the .58. I personally think I can get just as good a shave from the .58 as I can from the .84 but easier. With the .58, you just have to mind the angle your shaving with a little more. All of the Lupos require a light touch. If you buy a Lupo, I highly recommend getting it with the titanium halo handle. The weight balances out much better with the Lupo head. If you get the GC .84 you'll still be happy with your purchase.

I'd recommend any of the Game Changer series. If, you're looking for a Close, Comfortable Shave, I'd recommend the GC 84-P SB. I have a Lupo .95 SB and the GC 84-P and both are outstanding razors.

It's not just about price. The Baseplate, Top Cap and handles are made from, 316L stainless, a premium stainless steel. And, the razors are precision machined on CNC machines. All around, there's a lot of value for your money. JMHO, YMMV.

b/r

ON_1

the Fatip all-brass razors come to mind. The cost is only $20-30, too. The Fatip is like a sports car compared to the RR stainless steel SUV.
Yes! I was thinking the same thing but did not want to add another option to complicate things more for @Golden_Edge , but I totally agree with the Fatip suggestion. Car analogies work so good with razors.

I would say the GC is like a slush box auto tranny while the Fatip is a rugged 6-speed that is fun to row through the gears.

Guys, thanks a lot for your time and recommendations. 🍻 Both the GC and Lupo seem clean winners. I'll start with those and then look into others (Mamba, BBS and Green Cult) afterwards.

@NorthernSoul @Calyshaver The more complicated, the merrier. And I like the car analogy. I've been eyeing Fatip for a while so I'll definitely give those a try. The OC wood handles, Grande and Brass have been on my list.

Aluminium Lupo
I have the aluminum Lupo, and like it. I believe the gap is the same as the Lupo .58.

If you're using an R41, the aluminum Lupo is going to be quite a bit milder than that. If you want something a _little_ milder, one of the larger-gap Lupo's or GC's should do fine.

You could, of course, get an adjustable . . . :001_smile IMHO, the Aluminum Lupo is similar to the Merkur Progress at about 1.5.

Top Bottom