What's new

Psycho Razor Owners Club

I'll join as an Honorary Member. I used to work as a CO in a prison, and handled many of these.
When they transitioned to disposable razors, the "Psycho Razors" were supposed to be recycled. I kept one (no key, but I made my own) but sold it about three years ago.

Gillette Psycho Tech
Astra SP (4)
Dapper Gentleman Tuxedo
Captain’s Choice Copper Bowl
Stirling Satsuma
Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Forever

0F3DB128-D144-4A8B-8DC5-35484F5E43B6.jpeg

I had a member ask me about Grafco Psycho razors so I thought I would also share what I know here also.

They do not come up that often and usual sell for less that the Gillette version.
The Grafco razor was sold in a box with 1 razor and 1 key vs Gillette box 10 razors and 1 key.
I have never seen a key sold separately. The are also a different shape than the Gillette key.
I have seen 3 different shapes of keys for the Grafco, they function the same.
With all psycho razors the original key is the most valuable part, if you want a complete set.
I Think that the Grafco Psycho is a better built razors and I like the shave better than a Gillette.
The Grafco psycho is much more rare than the Gillette. Over the last 12 years I probably have seen 1 Grafco to every 60 or 70 Gillette that come up for sale.

A question for the Psycho owners out there.

I recently purchased a “Made in England” psycho with a date code of X2. Looking at reported years of production and the date code, this could’ve come from either 1952 or 1977.

Previous owner thought it was likely from 1977 based on cutouts on the baseplate. But looking at Mr. Razor, there is a model identical to mine that is from 1958.
(Credit to Mr. Razor for photo)
E5DC82A5-5648-4CC3-979C-6046A0F5A2CC.jpeg

So my question is to the group. What year would you guess for my new razor?

Follow up question: Did the psycho always have the cutouts on the baseplate during its entire run, or were these added as all Techs moved to this style of baseplate as time went on?

I believe the slots were added as time went on. My NDC USA version does not have the cutouts:

27D3BFBF-FB58-4588-9AFD-EE9ABE423CC9.jpeg

Both of the Brasil ones in my arsenal have them:

40806E82-5420-4929-9232-8989F341691E.jpeg

No guesses on which date is correct. I don’t know when the cutouts started.

As we all know original keys are hard to find and people have made DIY and machined keys over the years. I do not have any photos but some of the nicest looking keys were made by a former member cooncat Bob, Bob Smith at Bob's Razor Works (BRW). Razor Emporium makes a key that is as close as you get to the original. They have a video on their site on how the make them which I find interesting.
Several years ago I had a local machine shop make me Replica Psycho Keys. When I had them make them for me I wanted a good looking but not exact replica so no one would think that it was original. I had an aluminum and a stainless steel version made. When I had both types of keys made I had them use stainless steel for the hex head inserts for durability. So the part that tightens and loosens the razor is stainless steel. The replica key is a little shorter I did this so that the seam between the key and the razor is the same.

As far as a weight comparison:
Original Key – 1.53 oz
Stainless Steel Key – 1.25 oz
Aluminum Key - .49 oz

These photos shows the comparisons between Aluminum(left), Original(middle) & Stainless Steel(right) keys.
View attachment 853361 View attachment 853362 View attachment 853363

These photo shows the seam between the Replica key and the razor and the Original key and the razor. As you can see from both photos the seam is the same. a long time, you may remember when I offered some Psycho Razors which I had made a deal with "Cooncat Bob" Robert Smith of Bob's Razor Works to make some unique keys. I'm just wondering if some of you still have one and wouldn't mind posting a pic. I found this post:

Since I was the one who offered the keys made by "Cooncat Bob" Robert Smith of Bob's Razor Works, I wanted to give information and seek information. I bought a box of the Psycho razors and contacted Bob and he agreed to make the fancy keys for me for the 9 psycho razors (I kept the one with the original handle, still have it). I later bought a box of 10 more Psychos, this time they were made in England, so I had to send Bob one of the English razors since there was a tiny difference in them and the U.S.A. razors. I sold them here on B&B, on the Shave Den and Shave Nook. There were a few that Bob made for me and I can't remember exactly how they looked. If anyone has one that I sold you, please post a picture of it to jog my memory. If anyone can find one of the other links that had pictures of all of them, I'd love to see it. On Bob's website, he posted pictures of them before mailing them to me... if there's any way to access those pages, that would be great to see as well. Bob's keys were much more detailed than any that I've seen before or since (I wish I'd kept one, but since I was keeping the original, I figured that was enough :facep:Thanks and have a great day!
Cleave Pool
Cleave

Last edited by a moderator:
As seen in post 121 the Grafco company labeled the box "Grafco Psycho-Lock Razor 83-3165"
Also how would Google it to find it if you did not call it a Psycho Razor.

I have always had a special place in my collection for the category of Psycho razors. I am not sure that year they got the name Psycho Razor but I do know that they in the book "The Complete Gillette Collector's Handbook by Phillip Krumholtz" that is what they are called. This book has a copyright of 1992. This thread was started to highlight the uniqueness of these razors and the history. Only a hand full of companies have produced these types of razors. If members want to discuss the cultural stigma of a name they should start a new thread to have that debate. I would appreciate that we keep the original intent of this thread going as a reference thread.

HI, guys, I wanted to put in my 2cents on this since I've sold quite a few of these razors as I mentioned on the previous page. I bought either two or three of the boxes of 10 (can't remember for sure) and had Cooncat Bob make the fancy keys. I understand both sides of the debate above. One of the boxes that I bought actually had printed on the label on the box that they were "Gillette Psycho Razors". I was surprised by this when I saw it, but we have to remember that they were from the 1950s or '60s and it was a different time and the culture was different. As someone who has worked with people with schizophrenia for 40 years, it would be very offensive to me for someone to refer to those people as "psycho", but the razors were referred to in that manner when they were made. Glad that we're able here to just "agree to disagree". Have a great day, fellow wetshavers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom