What's new

Olaf Rasmussen Psycho replacement handle

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
After a long search, I finally got the legendary "Olaf Rasmussen Psycho".
It is similar to the familiar interesting razor Gillette Psycho, which is dedicated to mental hospitals and prisons; the difference of Olaf is the "three-piece" design that can be freely replaced with the handle, and the stainless steel material suitable for medical autoclaving. And O.R. Psycho is even rarer.
Due to the spring inside the handle, even without further locking with a key, the handle can be installed by hand for daily shaving, which is more convenient than other Psycho razors.

I've been lucky enough to come across versions with original keys, so no need to forge keys myself.
OLAF RASMUSSEN-01.jpg

But I still want to continue.
Because I am also fascinated by the style of "Olaf Rasmussen Prep", and I believe that I will hardly encounter this rare razor again + may have to deal with housing loans in the next few years...so I found an "extended nut" on the market to disguise as O.R.'s Prep version of the hexagonal handle.
This kind of long screw with M5 thread is often used by 3D printers, so it is very easy to buy on the Internet.
OLAF RASMUSSEN-02.jpg

Even juxtaposed with Pils, 60 years apart, Olaf is a paragon of functionalism or modernity.
The light head brings better balance, and it comes from medical use + considering the work efficiency of medical staff, this razor is of course very friendly to the skin.
348377453_1391395564992636_6846389356450292439_n.jpg

Although the AESOP shaving bowl (Sori Yanagi cooking bowl) is no longer a popular option in the shaving community, it is very suitable for matching with a neat and simple razor.
351983922_211032135152275_7532504770783646475_n.jpg

I did already post some photos in other threads, but considering the limited discussion of Olaf Rasmussen on the Internet, I decided to leave a separate record.
My family doesn't understand why I'm so excited about a new razor, which just proves that I'm a good fit for this "Psycho" razor.

Thank you gentlemen for reading my choppy text produced by "google translate".

ERS4

After a while, I finally found an original Olaf Rasmussen Surgical Prep.

It is a 52-gram solid stainless steel razor with a stamped head + slimmer handle, so it weighs half the weight of many modern stainless steel razors.
The cap, which is already very thin, is deliberately ground with a bevel on the edge, so that the blade can be closer to the skin and make full use of the cutting angle. Coupled with the flexible weight, the driving performance of the razor is very smooth.

It looks like a large gap, but it doesn't have crazy blade exposure, so it's not particularly bloodthirsty or skin-irritating.
This is exactly similar to the concept of Wolfman WR2 "big gap + slight exposure".
The huge lather channel and thin base plate make it very easy to clean like the Charcoal Goods Gen3. It can even be said to be the easiest to rinse among the razors in my collection, even when the water pressure is insufficient (because I live in Tall buildings have lower water pressure).

O.R. Prep looks very simple. After using it, I can understand that it completely follows the design of functionalism.
In order to allow medical workers to work with the highest efficiency without causing more burden on patients' skin, and not being picky about various skin conditions and hair...it constitutes an excellent razor that transcends the times.
Olaf Rasmussen Surgical Prep-全.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I just wonder what makes the razors "psycho", i.e. useful for such facilities.

Negative exposure to avoid self-harm? But they could still unscrew the head, after all... hmmm.

Allowing easy sterilization is a plus. You didn't mention it, but I guess they are stainless steel without any coating for sure.

<- this psycho would prefer highly positive exposure, though! :)

ERS4

I just wonder what makes the razors "psycho", i.e. useful for such facilities.

Negative exposure to avoid self-harm? But they could still unscrew the head, after all... hmmm.

Allowing easy sterilization is a plus. You didn't mention it, but I guess they are stainless steel without any coating for sure.

<- this psycho would prefer highly positive exposure, though! :)
I already pointed out in the OP that "and the stainless steel material suitable for medical autoclaving."
Other more well-known/widely used Psycho razors of the same period were made of brass and zamak, making the Olaf Rasmussen Psycho even more precious.

Due to the reputation of Gillette Psycho, I mistakenly thought that there was no need to mention this razor-critical mechanic. This is my mistake.
Razors specially manufactured for "psycho" use usually have a special "key" similar to a wrench to lock the handle, and the key is managed by a jailer or nurse, so the razor user cannot disassemble the razor by himself.

Since the locking part is deep in the handle, it is difficult for prisoners or patients to crack it with homemade tools.

Olaf Rasmussen Psycho also eliminated the lather channel to make the edge of the base plate stronger, so the safety bar cannot be broken to expose more of the blade.

Add a photo.
Starting from the left are the key and base plate of O.R. Psycho.
On the right is O.R. Prep's base plate, which has lather channel.
IMG_20231021_201601_1.jpg

Last edited:

ERS4

this psycho would prefer highly positive exposure, though! :)
Add more about this.
The O.R. Psycho razor was built later than the O.R. Surgical Prep razor, and uses the same head geometry.

Razors for medical use do not want to cause more skin damage to the patient.
Therefore, although the gap of O.R. Psycho is not small, it does not have a particularly large exposure. It will only increase work efficiency and will not turn shaving into a massacre.

Top Bottom