What's new

Prototype of the Paradigm SE

I believe I read Andy post that bullgoose got 100 and Paradigm itself and Gift & Care each have 50

Here are my thoughts and observations thus far of the Paradigm SE. It is still preliminary and hopefully improves:

I'm only on my 4th shave so far on the Paradigm SE. Today will make 5. I notice I'm not getting as close of a shave as I like as with some of my DE razors.

I'm giving the SE 3 full passes with touch ups and I'm still missing quite a bit of stubble on my neck and cheeks. I may need to try the Feather Pro Super soon. I've done 3 shaves with the Schick Proline and 1 with Feather Pro.

This is causing my beard to grow back really fast. I actually have that 5 o'clock shadow look going by the end of my work day. Hopefully things come together in the next couple of shaves.

I actually had this problem with quite a few SE razors that caused me to sell most of them (Razorock Hawk V2, General SS, Occam razor). I don't remember it being a problem on the Cobra Classic though.

I think perhaps I am very accustomed to steep angle shaving on my DE razors that it doesn't translate to a great shave with these artist club style razors?

Here are my thoughts and observations thus far of the Paradigm SE. It is still preliminary and hopefully improves:

I'm only on my 4th shave so far on the Paradigm SE. Today will make 5. I notice I'm not getting as close of a shave as I like as with some of my DE razors.

I'm giving the SE 3 full passes with touch ups and I'm still missing quite a bit of stubble on my neck and cheeks. I may need to try the Feather Pro Super soon. I've done 3 shaves with the Schick Proline and 1 with Feather Pro.

This is causing my beard to grow back really fast. I actually have that 5 o'clock shadow look going by the end of my work day. Hopefully things come together in the next couple of shaves.

I actually had this problem with quite a few SE razors that caused me to sell most of them (Razorock Hawk V2, General SS, Occam razor). I don't remember it being a problem on the Cobra Classic though.

I think perhaps I am very accustomed to steep angle shaving on my DE razors that it doesn't translate to a great shave with these artist club style razors?

There is no doubt that the geometry of ones face just does not match up to the engineering to types of blades and razors. I find the same issue you have with SE razors in that there is some very hard areas of my face that is hard to get clean of stubble and one of them is in my jaw area. I have to do four passes to ensure it is clean as I like, then I suffer from razor burn from all of the passes.
I just recently made the plunge and bought the Paradigm SE and I am looking forward to the shave and with hopes that it will be different from most I have experienced.

I have found good skin stretch and going directly ATG gives me a very good result with no irritation using the new Paradigm SE

Mine arrived today. First shave either tonight or tomorrow. I’ll report back. Initial impressions are that it is made /built very well. Some machining marks visible. Bearing in mind this is Titanium and not stainless, the polishing is well done. Some natural “grain” of the metal still visible but not sure if that is just a property of Titanium or not. The level of polish is not the same as say my polished stainless Wolfman, but I am not sure if Titanium can even make it to that level of polish.

First face shave yesterday with my Paradigm SE. I have a beard so donmt normally shave my face, i’m Predominantly a head shaved. Will head shave with it later today.

Fit and finish is very good. The blade loading mechanism seems solid and built to last.
The weight and design is excellent.
It’s my first SE razor so I have to learn how to use it properly. My shave was not that close in most places on my face, but I was being careful and didn’t get any cuts or nicks. I have to find the right angle and pressure and technique. It is easier to stretch the face rather than head so I enjoyed the way it cut the stubble as I stretched.
I used the feather pro blade (bought a box of 20 from bullgoose when I ordered the razor) but have ordered 2 of each blade from try-a-blade to see what may be better.

I am looking forward to my head shave. I’ll be growing my beard again as i’ve Had my yearly 2 week face shave ritual now.

The head shave will be a good test for me as I head shave twice a week for the past 2 years so am better at that.

First shave in the books with this razor. On 4 days growth I had an amazing irritation free shave in 2 passes. My first pass was a little less efficient than say some of my DE’s...but by the end of pass 2 I was in perfect shape. This is literally a razor you can zip around your face without paying attention and probably not cut yourself. Very mild feeling with little blade feel. The shave felt nothing like the other Artist Club razors I have had and that’s been more than a few. I’m sure the shave will only get better with more use but my first one was near perfect so it’s hard to improve on that. This razor did feel like I could literally shave in any direction without irritation. So smooth and stable.

I’ve completed my initial shave with the Ti SE and these are my early thoughts and impressions of this razor.

First, the razor has a very nice high quality finish, fit and feel to it. It does not come in a high end box or a package as you would see with say a Timeless, Blackland or Charcoal Goods of this price range but, I’m not going to shave with a box. Packaging is another issue that I will get to later in this initial review. I found it to be not heavy nor light, but just about right in the hands in terms of balance. As you know it’s a 2 piece design with a sliding top cap and 2 spring loading ball ends to assist in clamping and removing the cap for blade insertion, removal and clean up. Very nice design that is simple to use and execute all in one hand. Very precise with an action that delivers a crisp and solid operating mechanism.

B0F6A31B-0DA7-4D3A-8928-4230728C5FCC.jpeg

36D94F89-C738-4952-BB67-636C0D59CA17.jpeg

I decided to start off my shave with an ATG pass as Andy from Paradigm had mentioned in a couple of other forums that the razor excelled with that approach. So I loaded a blade, a Kai Captain Mild Pink, lathered up and started it off. I went from South to North from the bottom of my neck to the burns and East to West and vice versa from the bottom of my chin to end of Sir Adam as the hairs here kind of swirl and grow sideways a bit. On the initial stroke the handle felt a bit awkward as a started my pass but, eventually it became a bit easier to use and became more natural as the shave progressed to a completed 2 pass ATG/XTG shave.

The feel was very smooth and mild on the skin with an excellent feeling glide as if glass was being pressed against my face. The angle was quite easy to find and maintain but, I felt as though it wasn’t shaving as a traditional AC styled razor does. It felt more like a cross between a DE and GEM style type of shave if that makes sense as I actually held the head as if it were a MMOC or Clog Pruf, just not as flat and pushed up against ones face as you would with those two. Blade feel was minimal but, efficient with shorter strokes as I wasn’t sure if it clogged easily with lather and hair. I didn’t have to worry as the shave went on as the lather slot underneath the guard did a very good job of channeling the excess lather and cut hair without having to rinse on every stroke. Like I said, I was done in 2 passes and nearly left me with a BBS finish that was nic, cut and irritation free. It was easy to maneuver around ones face and worked into the corners of the mouth with ease. Not as easy to throw around as say the Vector or a OneBlade but, in the ballpark and similar in execution.

In a nutshell, it performed very well on it’s first time outing without a single incident from start to finish. Did it give me an amazingly and breathtakingly $400 shave like no other razor has before or at present? No but, again this is the first shave and one really has to get in a few shaves before making a declaration of such magnitude. Is it comparable with some of the better shaves I’ve given myself? Absolutely and it did it with ease and supreme comfort. Though, I will say that I did feel like I got a closer first shave with the Vector the first time I used it as compared to this first shave with the Paradigm Ti. We’ll see on quality and longevity as to where they both stack up as the day progresses.
48A14B99-FB4C-40AD-A138-AB92987294A8.jpeg

236C0560-A557-4315-BCFA-E7CD236AA014.jpeg

E2D811AD-3820-4837-8B76-4596FE1363FD.jpeg

As I had mentioned before, I did have an issue with how I had received the razor. Like I have stated, i don’t care if a razor is shipped in an oak finished, polyurethane coated and brass or gold accented presentation box. That is not the point that I’m trying to get here. The razor came in a simple blue box with quality foam inserts that are cut to fit the razor. That is fine and acceptable in my book. My issue comes with the way the item was processed, prepared and packed for shipment to be delivered halfway across the country. See the pics below and judge for yourselves..

E6E82C8C-4425-4584-A7D7-AFB5B92774CC.jpeg

C42207CB-BD84-41CB-8439-00EDF3F05555.jpeg

60A25BBF-9A1D-4F40-8C12-764569E98484.jpeg

Really? A nearly $400 razor shipped in an air mailer bubble envelope? You have to be joking, Gus? Nope, and I wish I were. Granted, the item made it intact with no damage but the box had 2 dented corners and a corner that had split down the length on both the top and bottom of the box. This and this alone was completely unacceptable in my eyes for a product that is marketed as an ultra high end and luxurious heirloom quality piece. When I saw that split and dented corners, I was like “No way, the razor is done!” For a few seconds I was in panic mode. Fortunately it was good to go. I’ve seen better protection and packaging from The Dollar Shave Club here Gents.

We have all seen the packaging from the likes of Timeless, Blackland, Charcoal Goods, Wolfman with their very precisely packaged items and the elegantly made presentations that their works are packed in. They all give you the experience of receiving an item that is of high quality and superb craftsmanship that in you’re mind you think this is excellence and luxury at it’s finest. Hell, we don’t even have to go to such heavy hitters when it comes to this topic. Look at Rockwell with their packaging and presentation. Or even Q-Shave with it’s Parthenon razor and a nice elegant presentation. I believe this could have been done immensely better, at least with packaging it properly and securely. Maybe I’m wrong in this whole deal but, I deemed it worthy of bringing this situation to Andy over at Paradigm and I vehemently but, respectfully stated in my email that this was not acceptable for such a high end item to be treated and shipped as an afterthought.

Well, those are my feelings anyway. Am I right? Or am I over exaggerating and blowing this thing out of proportion? My apologies as I just had to get this out there Gents. Sorry for the late rant.

Happy shaves to all....

Excellent first impression Gus, I think if you put a Proline in it you’ll get a closer shave and still maintain the smoothness. On the 2nd note I whole heartedly agree. That box should be in a shipping box for protection. I don’t need the leather box like OneBlade but put the box inside another box it can’t add more than a buck to shipping costs. I hope Andy takes heed to you email.

I am about to pull the trigger on the Pradigm SE but the shipping pics are giving me pause. I have a bunch of other nice stuff in the den from Blackland, Timeless, Wolfman, Karve...all were well-protected and shipped in nice boxes. Even though I don’t care too much about the final packaging, I do think for $400 you are selling an experience, not just a razor. It will feel a bit anti-climactic to receive the Paradigm in an envelope with a crushed box that looks like it came from Aliexpress.

Hmmm...I want to get “$400 excited” about this razor and I hope these pics are not going to be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

Excellent first impression Gus, I think if you put a Proline in it you’ll get a closer shave and still maintain the smoothness. On the 2nd note I whole heartedly agree. That box should be in a shipping box for protection. I don’t need the leather box like OneBlade but put the box inside another box it can’t add more than a buck to shipping costs. I hope Andy takes heed to you email.

Wholeheartedly agree with you Mark. The whole process in my estimation was dealt with as an afterthought and executed poorly. And you’re right, again, this has NOTHING to do with the presentation. He could have wrapped it in a banana leaf for all I cared. It’s just the item should have been packaged more securely to provide extra protection for such a high end item.

I wanted to go with the Proline first but, decided at the last minute to give a go with the Kai. Trust me, it wasn’t bad at all as it still felt smooth and efficient. On the next shave I will definitely use a Proline. It should give a better result.

Nice review Gus. I mostly agree with your sentiments but maybe I'm not so critical of the packaging. Like you said, I don't shave with the box, though if I were giving this as a gift I might like something at least to Blackland or ATT standards. That would require over boxing to prevent damage to the gift box. Still, I'm more offended by a presentation say like Raw Shaving where you're charged a significant sum for a fancy box you're only going to toss.

On the razor itself I'm more impressed than you. Two shaves in and I've had two of the most comfortable shaves in my life. I don't think I could cut or scrape myself if I tried with this razor. The angle is nearly automatic and the razor glides like it's on bearings. It's a complete win with me, though with more shaves I could always change my opinion.

The blade change mechanism is clever easy and the fit and finish simply doesn't get any better. Maybe Wolfman has better finishing but that's a different category.

I do wish that the handle had grip on all four sides instead of two and a half but I'll adjust. I'm also not a fan of a square handle section but at the same time I'm a big fan of the goose neck design because I think that really adds to the ergonomics and keeping the blade at the correct angle during shaving.

I bought this razor half thinking that I'd be returning it within the 30 day window. Already I can say that I'll be keeping it.

I am about to pull the trigger on the Pradigm SE but the shipping pics are giving me pause. I have a bunch of other nice stuff in the den from Blackland, Timeless, Wolfman, Karve...all were well-protected and shipped in nice boxes. Even though I don’t care too much about the final packaging, I do think for $400 you are selling an experience, not just a razor. It will feel a bit anti-climactic to receive the Paradigm in an envelope with a crushed box that looks like it came from Aliexpress.

Hmmm...I want to get “$400 excited” about this razor and I hope these pics are not going to be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

My intention was and is not to disparage the razor in any way. Contrary to that, the razor is a work of art and just on the first shave alone, if you have the funds and desire a smooth but efficient shave, this could be your razor. I would suggest that if you do order the razor, ask for it to be shipped in a box, not a bubble mailer. It deserves at least that as a minimum.

Nice review Gus. I mostly agree with your sentiments but maybe I'm not so critical of the packaging. Like you said, I don't shave with the box, though if I were giving this as a gift I might like something at least to Blackland or ATT standards. That would require over boxing to prevent damage to the gift box. Still, I'm more offended by a presentation say like Raw Shaving where you're charged a significant sum for a fancy box you're only going to toss.

On the razor itself I'm more impressed than you. Two shaves in and I've had two of the most comfortable shaves in my life. I don't think I could cut or scrape myself if I tried with this razor. The angle is nearly automatic and the razor glides like it's on bearings. It's a complete win with me, though with more shaves I could always change my opinion.

The blade change mechanism is clever easy and the fit and finish simply doesn't get any better. Maybe Wolfman has better finishing but that's a different category.

I do wish that the handle had grip on all four sides instead of two and a half but I'll adjust. I'm also not a fan of a square handle section but at the same time I'm a big fan of the goose neck design because I think that really adds to the ergonomics and keeping the blade at the correct angle during shaving.

I bought this razor half thinking that I'd be returning it within the 30 day window. Already I can say that I'll be keeping it.

I completely understand your sentiment amigo. I’m not saying I’m not impressed because I will admit that it shaves exceptionally smooth. And it has qualities of the different blade categories that has me intrigued in terms of how it shaves. The smoothness and workability of a DE with a combined efficiency of a rigid blade system like the AC & GEM blade format. Plus, it’s just shave #1 and I would venture to say that the shaves will get incrementally better the more I get accustomed to it.

My feeling on the first shave feel wise, is still that I felt I got a closer shave with the Vector than with the Paradigm. The Paradigm is smoother and feels like it glides easier across my face. The Vector is more blade direct feeling without sacrificing much in smoothness and comfort yet, it is behind the Paradigm in these two aspects....

Got shave 2 in yesterday evening with the Paradigm. Decided to switch out the Kai Titan Pink and go with a Schick Proline on it’s first use. Did my normal shower and prep and got on with the shave. I happened to receive a shipment today of a new soap for me, Lisa’s Natural Herbal Creations, Amber & Tobacco and Haute Leather. It was Haute Leather that was up for the shave and it was on.

Except for the soap, I changed nothing else in terms of how I was going to shave and attack the whiskers. I went with the same ATG/XTG hybrid passes as it seemed to work well with the initial shave. I have to say that the Proline was a nice step up in shave feel and performance. The first ATG pass knocked down quite a bit of the stubble. The Lisa’s soap provided a nice, creamy lather that was protective and yielded a nice smooth glide for the razor while still having some residual slickness that allowed a quick repass or two on a couple of spots. Very nice. The scent was nice, not strong or overpowering with a leather and like a hand lotion type and a light earthy undertone scent that was pleasant and played well together. The second pass XTG hybrid was just as good as the first and pretty much cleaned up anything that was left behind from the first pass. The razor is incredibly smooth and mild yet has a nice efficiency to it and it felt better with the blade change. Finished my 2 passes with a quality, near BBS finish minus a tough spot on Sir Adam. Always a challenge there for any razor. I don’t chase Sir Adam much, a quick pass or two and what I get, that’s what I get. A quick cold water splash and face rub and I was good to go. The Lisa’s gave a nice post shave feel that left my face nicely hydrated and soft. Good performance for a first timer and the accolades that this soap has garnered are pretty much well deserved and earned imo.

Now, I’m writing this at about 6:30 in the morning and my shave was at about 7 pm last night and I already have a light, steady growth of stubble appearing where it usually comes back first with all my shaves, the jawline. The 5 O’Clock shadow was nearly in. Not patches but, uniform stubble that leads up to just about below my ear lobe and very light growth on both of the burns. I noticed this also on my first shave with the Kai that I had a very quick grow back of stubble and had my shadow within 7 hours of the shave. I find this perplexing as I felt both shaves were quality shaves and left my skin clear of hair and any stragglers. Neither shave has given me a single nic, cut, weeper nor any irritation to speak of but, I’m not getting the quality of longevity that I would normally get associated with a quality shave from others like the Vector, El Jefe, SS/Brass General and the Claymore. I won’t mention the Rx as there are only 1 or 2 that I’ve mentioned here that can nearly match it on shave quality and longevity. Then again, on the milder feeling razors I practically use Feather Pro Supers exclusively to give me the results that I get from the more efficient/aggressive razors. I think I’ll give a Proline another shave and see how that works out and if the results are the same then, it’s time to step it up with the Howitzer of AC Blades, the Feather Pro Super.

I’m actually going to do a quick 1 pass shave again and freshen up as I have the day off to take care of some personal things. More shaves and experimentation ahead Gents....

551B00B5-43B9-4A32-8D0F-196C4A63BCD6.jpeg

Good read, Gus. Keep 'em coming.

I had my third shave with the Proline this morning. I felt confident enough to use some pressure and was rewarded with a very smooth and close shave without any incidents. I can see how this razor could encourage some bad habits. Maybe you could try some more pressure on the next shave? In the mean time I'll have to see how I feel in about 12 hours.

I loaded my Paradigm SE with a Feather super pro last evening. The slide was a little tight but not difficult when loading. I did my normal 3 pass shave with it using B&M reserve and received a very smooth irritation free shave. I am just starting to get stubble return at the 16 hour mark which is very satisfactory to me. I am starting to enjoy this razor

Nailed it!!

As close to perfection as I have encountered with a razor and blade combo. The Pro Super was the exact ticket that I needed with the Ti SE in achieving an amazingly close BBS finish that was smooth and deliciously efficient. Truly an amazing combo that must be experienced to believe. Now, lets hope that I can get a full days worth of faceturbating smoothness. If I can get to the 10 hour mark, that’s good enough for me...

C18D11B6-0E5B-4BA3-A6CF-6F6D55478826.jpeg

You guys are seriously tempting me with this one! I look forward to hearing more shaving reviews. I have struggled with AC razors in the past, but this one may be just the ticket. Hmmm

The Paradigm SE is now SOLD OUT at Bullgoose Shaving. It took a little longer with the SE vs the 17-4, but sold out nonetheless!

Top Bottom