What's new

Prototype of the Paradigm SE

Any $400 razor is not for everyone. It's a luxury item with a niche market. Paradigm's razors offer enough features to justify their price, and I expect these will sell well. Some of the criticisms about the price reflect a lack of understanding about the economics of designing, machining and marketing a razor such as this one. The costs are substantial and have to be spread out over a limited number of units. Moreover, Andy and the retailers are entitled to a profit sufficient to justify their investment and risk. I have no problem with the price.

Extremely well said.

I agree with the past few statements. Andy developed a razor that shaves differently to any I own. It has a very smooth feel to the face when shaving yet delivers an efficient shave. I look forward to trying the new SE. cost can be very subjective, quality material, consistent product and a superb warranty mean a lot to me.

There is currently not a single titanium SE razor on the market. I’ve asked the makers behind mongoose, ATT and wolfman and none of them were willing/able to conquer it so I applaud Andy for doing so and will definitely be purchasing one as soon as available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wrote earlier that I think 400 for a razor is expensive, and I still think that’s true. Just like when people say 900 dollars for an Iphone is crazy. If I like a product, I support it, and I fully intend to buy the SE and Ti 2 Paradigm razors if I get a chance. It’s just still a lot of money for a razor, not that the razors are not worth it.

Any $400 razor is not for everyone. It's a luxury item with a niche market. Paradigm's razors offer enough features to justify their price, and I expect these will sell well. Some of the criticisms about the price reflect a lack of understanding about the economics of designing, machining and marketing a razor such as this one. The costs are substantial and have to be spread out over a limited number of units. Moreover, Andy and the retailers are entitled to a profit sufficient to justify their investment and risk. I have no problem with the price.
Here, here... Agree completely on your reasoning and well written point. I don't own any one of Paradigm's well received razors that have been highly praised for it's quality, workmanship and exceptional performance throughout the wet shaving community. Not to mention that the movers and shakers at Paradigm are thinking outside of the box with artfully designed creations that have been a refreshing take on older designs with a modern design twist.

Price? Capitalism people. It's what makes this Country great. The market will pay what the market will bare. Niche market, supply and demand, exclusivity. Nothing wrong or illegal with that. More power to Paradigm.

Here, here... Agree completely on your reasoning and well written point. I don't own any one of Paradigm's well received razors that have been highly praised for it's quality, workmanship and exceptional performance throughout the wet shaving community. Not to mention that the movers and shakers at Paradigm are thinking outside of the box with artfully designed creations that have been a refreshing take on older designs with a modern design twist.

Price? Capitalism people. It's what makes this Country great. The market will pay what the market will bare. Niche market, supply and demand, exclusivity. Nothing wrong or illegal with that. More power to Paradigm.

+1 and well said Gus! :punk:
I will add after talking to some artisan razor manufacturers there is a lot more than materials and exclusivity that determine the final cost of some of the high end razors. I now have a completely different opinion, understanding and an appreciation for what it takes to bring an amazing razor like the Paradigm, Charcoal, Wolfman, Rocne,Timeless and Blackland etc. to market.

I know that it is $200 more than I would spend on any razor and I also know that what could be done with a Feather AC safety razor has already been done two years ago.

Don't you own and love a $400 OneBlade Genesis? One could argue that what could be done with a Gem blade was already done 100 years ago. You can get a MMOC for about $10 to replace that OneBlade....

Anyway, about this razor, we shall see. I'm sure we all have hobbies, and I'll bet some of us spend more than $400 for a new feeding now and again. It's cheaper than many addictions.

I agree with the too expensive crowd on this personally!! I also will go one further in that I would bet if Andy released his razors in lots of 100+ they wouldn't sell with the hype and fervor like they sell right now!! I'm not saying they wouldn't sell out, just not even close to how they have been... His razors sell quickly because they are done in small batches, usually 10-15 at a a time, and most buy them quickly because they don't know when the next batch will be. He can also charge a premium on his razors because they are done in small batches as opposed to larger.

Do you think Wolfman Razors would sell out if he had a hundred plus razors sitting on a shelf and everyone knew it? I would dare to bet "no". Andy started his razor venture with ZERO name recognition, designed something very unique, swung for the fence, and knocked the ball out of the park with his 17-4 and Titanium V2 razors. Try finding his first gen. Titanium razor now. Good luck! I have looked and no one seems to want to sell them now (I too was a $395 razor doubter when Andy first popped up on the radar and missed out on buying one).

I am also fairly certain Andy is not intentionally making small numbers of these razors to keep them "rare". He has a manufacturer that has to be paid up front.

Do you think Wolfman Razors would sell out if he had a hundred plus razors sitting on a shelf and everyone knew it? I would dare to bet "no". Andy started his razor venture with ZERO name recognition, designed something very unique, swung for the fence, and knocked the ball out of the park with his 17-4 and Titanium V2 razors. Try finding his first gen. Titanium razor now. Good luck! I have looked and no one seems to want to sell them now (I too was a $395 razor doubter when Andy first popped up on the radar and missed out on buying one).

I am also fairly certain Andy is not intentionally making small numbers of these razors to keep them "rare". He has a manufacturer that has to be paid up front.
I can't disagree with anything you said in the previous statement but we aren't talking about Wolfman, Timeless, Charcoal Goods, Blackland, Rocnel, or any other mfg in this thread....at least I wasn't.... You essentially verified my sentiments with your comparison and I also made almost the exact same post in the Wolfman thread where it belonged.

An analogy if I may... I am a guitarist and though I would like very much to own a Gibson ES335, which btw is the holy grail for almost any guitarist, I know with a few minor upgrades I can get an Epiphone Dot, ES335, or Studio and can make that guitar play and sound as well as the Gibson for on average of $3000+ savings!! The only difference is it says Epiphone on the headstock and not Gibson. Basically you are paying that $3000+ for a name and that is about it and this is not just opinion but fact as stated multiple times by multiple musicians, pro and amateur alike!!

Back to this thread... I stated "my" opinion and "my" case as to why I wouldn't own one of Andy's razors and nowhere in my post did I bash him or his razor at all. In fact from what I have seen posted I think he has put out a very good product, just not one I feel is worth spending that much money for and doubt it will shave me that much better than what I have!! I respect your opinion for why you think his prices are justified and though mines not the same I don't understand why you don't respect mine for why I feel they are overpriced? I hope that one day Andy will be able to have his wares made in larger quantities to keep costs down so as to pass some of it onto the consumer at some point.

Folks, let's all sit down, take a deep breath, maybe take our blood pressure meds, and just chill for a while. This is a forum with many members coming from many different points of views and unless the title of this thread was "say only nice things about Paradigm", different opinions should be welcome without folks being attacked for what they said. For me, it is more important to hear what another person is saying than to tell another person what I am saying and why they are full of it.

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread.

Folks, let's all sit down, take a deep breath, maybe take our blood pressure meds, and just chill for a while. This is a forum with many members coming from many different points of views and unless the title of this thread was "say only nice things about Paradigm", different opinions should be welcome without folks being attacked for what they said. For me, it is more important to hear what another person is saying than to tell another person what I am saying and why they are full of it.

Well said!

So it would seem that one of the prototype's have made it out into the wild. I saw it posted on another forum and FB as well. Although it seems to be taking a beating in the aesthetics dept on FB and I'd have to agree its not the best looking SE out there and looks rather clunky... I'm sure it will sell well being who its from!!

I have been shaving with one v2 prototype for the last 3 -4 days and it is amazing. Had one of the top 2 shaves of my life with it yesterday. I cannot wait for the production model to be released in Ti as it’s an amazing razor in aluminum as the prototypes are. Simply amazing results with absolute comfort.

So it would seem that one of the prototype's have made it out into the wild. I saw it posted on another forum and FB as well. Although it seems to be taking a beating in the aesthetics dept on FB and I'd have to agree its not the best looking SE out there and looks rather clunky... I'm sure it will sell well being who its from!!

I thought I heard somewhere that there are three of them out there. Unfortunately, not a lot of reviews comparing them to the other AC style razors yet.

Been reading good things about this razor everywhere (prototype) & on other forums as well. Looks like Paradigm is in the game to stay and making their mark.

I have been shaving with one v2 prototype for the last 3 -4 days and it is amazing. Had one of the top 2 shaves of my life with it yesterday. I cannot wait for the production model to be released in Ti as it’s an amazing razor in aluminum as the prototypes are. Simply amazing results with absolute comfort.
What’s your opinion on how the blade is loaded and does it take the Schick Prolines?

I thought I heard somewhere that there are three of them out there. Unfortunately, not a lot of reviews comparing them to the other AC style razors yet.

There are 2 that I know of, but there could be 3. I can compare it to the SE1 and will confidently say that it is smoother and more efficiennt. The SE1 can bite if you're not careful and I prone to irritation when blade buffing or j-hooking with the se1. I don't see the Paradigm cutting you at all. I have a few moles on my neck and face that generally require some caution with the SE1 and I can roll right over them with the prototype without issue. There is slight blade feel with the safety bar being prominent on the face, less than with ATTSE1. The only thing that took some getting used to was the angle on the handle of the paradigm. I would recommend watching the head on the face to keep angle in check versus looking at the handle. The head is at quite an angle relative to the handle. All in all I enjoy this over the SE1 by quite a margin

What’s your opinion on how the blade is loaded and does it take the Schick Prolines?

This is a very cool feature. I know Mohammad has removed the cap at least a few hundred times himself. It secures with a satisfying "click" once the cap is locked in place. It is very easy to load and unload a blade all the while the blade is incredibly secure in the razor and there are ZERO alignment issues. With the SE1 I have to occaisonally open the thing up and tweak the head to square things up. That is NOT the case with this razor. You put the blade on the post and slide the cap and you're done.

Apparently Shick blades have a bit of variance from batch to batch to batch. I was told that Proline would fit in the final production model but wouldn't likely fit this prototype. To my, albeit pleasant, surprise - my batch of prolines fit. Tomorrow will be shave 2 on my first proline in this razor. I can report back then. I will say that I have never been a big fan of feather pro blades, but they're remarkable in this razor for whatever reason.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'd be more than happy to post pics if you guys would like to see something in particular.

With the SE1 I have to occaisonally open the thing up and tweak the head to square things up.
This is interesting as to date I've never seen anyone post of alignment issues with any of Stan's razors!! I don't personally own one but will keep this in mind if I'm ever in the market for one...

Top Bottom