What's new

Head Shaving SE Razor Advice Needed

B & B members, Wet Shaving Brothers and Friends, I have an issue and need some help regarding a SE Razor for Head Shaving.

So here is the issue, a dear friend who has been head shaving for the last 4 years has been through much with bumps and ingrown hair caused by his Gillette Fusion. It has been a painful ride for him and yesterday he was sporting a wound caused by him going a bit aggressive over a bump. It looked like he had sliced off a bit of his scalp and he was inquiring about picking up the Pitbull Skull Shaver Gold Pro. Talked him out of it as my experience with electric face shavers always left me with either bumps, a shadow or even razor burn if i went over the same area a few times. Advised him that a wet shave is still the answer and an SE Razor would help. Now, I have zero knowledge about the best SE or AC razors for head shaving.

Here's my query, would a half DE razor be best or an AC Razor ? The only two I have used are the Twig and the Yaqi Katana but I wouldn't suggest the Twig due to the mechanism being fragile. At the top of my head and after reading a few reviews, the one's below are what I suggested.

1. Shield Avenger Ti
2. Yaqi Romulus or Remus
3. RazoRock Hawk V3
4. Razorock Eco

I understand that many head Shavers prefer a a slightly lighter razor. Keeping in mind the fact that he is a Head Shaver who also face shaves using a multi blade cartridge, Your help and suggestions would be much appreciated as to what SE he should pick up.

I use an Eco now for a couple of years with no issues.

BF8CED1F-285A-40F9-A24D-AEFA3EF70931.jpeg

Heads have a lot of surface area. Artist Club blades have a cutting edge nearly 50% longer than DE blades. So ignoring cost and other considerations, AC razors have an advantage for any shaving involving large areas (head, legs, back, etc.).

Like Dave @Whiterook (well not exactly like Dave) I use an injector. Mine is a Schick G1 and it is close to BBS after one pass. No pressure gets your friend a long way. Another one of my favourites is a GEM Featherweight.

And I have had good results with DEs as well such as the R41 or Razorine Flatboy.

But I would go with an SE for more sturdiness of the blade. Hence my personal preference for injector razors.

Cheers,

Guido

Like Dave @Whiterook (well not exactly like Dave) I use an injector. Mine is a Schick G1 and it is close to BBS after one pass. No pressure gets your friend a long way. Another one of my favourites is a GEM Featherweight.

And I have had good results with DEs as well such as the R41 or Razorine Flatboy.

But I would go with an SE for more sturdiness of the blade. Hence my personal preference for injector razors.

Cheers,

Guido
Will defy look at the Schick Injector too. I think a DE might be too much for him right now.

I liked the Hawk, but love my Blackland. Been headshaving for decades. Had a mole that I used to nick - right ar the collar line. My Dr. kindly described it as a health related procedure (and therefore under insurance) - great improvement!
Hey Henry, Which one did you find gentler for the head between the Hawk and the Blackland.

If he's a cartridge guy just going to a leaf might be an easy transition. Choice of 1,2, or 3 half de blades and pivoting head

A twig is my preferred head razor and I've run it near daily for about 3 years without any mechanism issue.... didn't know that was a problem they had, mines been great. But ymmv is a thing. Best of luck. I did really enjoy running an aluminum hawk before the twig edged it out.
^ Exactly what I was going to say. I am not a head shaver, but have seriously considered it. I bought a Leaf and the Indian Gillette Guard (cheap single blade with an open comb guard) for when I was thinking of giving it a go. 2 blades in a Leaf might work for him for face and head.

I love my Twig and don't see the mechanism as frail.

I usually go with a mild razor for head shaves to avoid unwanted bloodshed. My favorites are the Supply SE, Occam's Oren v2 AC (currently unavailable), and the Yaqi Romulus in that order. I think the Parker Adjustable is also a fine recommendation by Whiterook above. I have been meaning to buy the Parker Adjustable for head shaving but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Eric

A twig is my preferred head razor and I've run it near daily for about 3 years without any mechanism issue.... didn't know that was a problem they had, mines been great. But ymmv is a thing. Best of luck. I did really enjoy running an aluminum hawk before the twig edged it out.
Have never used the Hawk but always read decent reviews. I used to find the Twig the best for the upper lip area but then that was for face shaving.

^ Exactly what I was going to say. I am not a head shaver, but have seriously considered it. I bought a Leaf and the Indian Gillette Guard (cheap single blade with an open comb guard) for when I was thinking of giving it a go. 2 blades in a Leaf might work for him for face and head.

I love my Twig and don't see the mechanism as frail.
will definitely suggest the Leaf to him.

I usually go with a mild razor for head shaves to avoid unwanted bloodshed. My favorites are the Supply SE, Occam's Oren v2 AC (currently unavailable), and the Yaqi Romulus in that order. I think the Parker Adjustable is also a fine recommendation by Whiterook above. I have been meaning to buy the Parker Adjustable for head shaving but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Eric
Hey eric, do you find the Supply SE milder than the Yaqi Romulus?

Top Bottom