What's new

Proraso: 10 good reasons to love it!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
For €11, I think this is worth it and I've been looking to order one to bring with me overseas without worry of breaking it. I have no concerns about the interior ridges affecting any of my brushes. If it were €20-€30, it would be way overpriced, but for the cost of a cup of espresso in Rome (from what I hear) it's worth a shot IMO.

I found this mug for €8.99 and got it. It is actually very nice, my friends!

Here are the things I like:

1. It has a beautiful vintage barbershop look that is just too cool.

2. It is made of quality, sturdy plastic that makes it both light and unbreakable.

3. It is rather small and feels great in the hand.

3. The molding line on the sides is barely visible on mine, to the point that I don't even feel it under my fingers when touching.

4. The inside ridges are not that pronounced, just 2 mm. I have tried lathering different creams and the ridges are definitely a help in doing the job. I see no issues at all in the possibilities of damaging a brush.

5. I mainly got this as a "loading mug" where to place the hard pucks that do not come with their own bowl/container. For this specific purpose the ridges are a great help again because keep the puck in place without allowing it to move.

P.S. An espresso here in Rome has an average price of €0.80/€1.00! And if you want a quality one get Vergnano 1882. :thumbup1:

I found this mug for €8.99 and got it. It is actually very nice, my friends!

Here are the things I like:

1. It has a beautiful vintage barbershop look that is just too cool.

2. It is made of quality, sturdy plastic that makes it both light and unbreakable.

3. It is rather small and feels great in the hand.

3. The molding line on the sides is barely visible on mine, to the point that I don't even feel it under my fingers when touching.

4. The inside ridges are not that pronounced, just 2 mm. I have tried lathering different creams and the ridges are definitely a help in doing the job. I see no issues at all in the possibilities of damaging a brush.

5. I mainly got this as a "loading mug" where to place the hard pucks that do not come with their own bowl/container. For this specific purpose the ridges are a great help again because keep the puck in place without allowing it to move.

P.S. An espresso here in Rome has an average price of €0.80/€1.00! And if you want a quality one get Vergnano 1882. :thumbup1:

I wouldn't mind a lathering bowl with ridges that don't destroy the bristles, but, i have found this video from an old B&B thread (it's from a member here):

And, it looks to me, that the bowl is too high and narrow. It seems his fingers/brush are almost banging against the bowl's walls and he doesn't have much room to manouver.

Could you please tell me what's the internal diameter of the mug, not at the outer edge, but in the inner part, where you effectively lather?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I wouldn't mind a lathering bowl with ridges that don't destroy the bristles, but, i have found this video from an old B&B thread (it's from a member here):

And, it looks to me, that the bowl is too high and narrow. It seems his fingers/brush are almost banging against the bowl's walls and he doesn't have much room to manouver.

Could you please tell me what's the internal diameter of the mug, not at the outer edge, but in the inner part, where you effectively lather?

Sir, the bottom of the mug has a diameter of 65mm. As about the size, I would say it's a standard mug size - I do not find it tall and narrow. If you desire something lower and wider you should opt for a dish bowl or for a scuttle.

Also, please do consider that this mug has been designed for professional barbershop use, where Master Barbers usually lather with boar brushes having quite long bristles and handles.

P.S. An espresso here in Rome has an average price of €0.80/€1.00! And if you want a quality one get Vergnano 1882.

I perhaps should have specified that I was referring to the area near the Colosseum, which apparently charges astronomical rents and the prices reflect this. I should know that locals would have better spots to take care of their caffeine needs. Italian coffee culture is pretty legendary. One day I hope to have a La Marzocco machine in my home.

Sir, the bottom of the mug has a diameter of 65mm

That's roughly 2.5" - 2 3/4" for us imperial measurement folks.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I perhaps should have specified that I was referring to the area near the Colosseum, which apparently charges astronomical rents and the prices reflect this. I should know that locals would have better spots to take care of their caffeine needs. Italian coffee culture is pretty legendary. One day I hope to have a La Marzocco machine in my home.

Well, Italians truly love coffee and La Marzocco is a top pick among espresso machines.

That being said, I prefer my old, trusted Bialetti Moka Express. It's still the original design since 1933, when Mr. Alfonso Bialetti introduced it on the market and it makes a superb Italian coffee. With some tricks you can easily create a creamy top coat as with an espresso, at a fraction of the price.

Now my friend, let's stay on topic and feel free to open a dedicated thread on Italian coffee if you desire or, if you wish, feel free to contact me for any questions.

Sir, the bottom of the mug has a diameter of 65mm. As about the size, I would say it's a standard mug size - I do not find it tall and narrow. If you desire something lower and wider you should opt for a dish bowl or for a scuttle.

Also, please do consider that this mug has been designed for professional barbershop use, where Master Barbers usually lather with boar brushes having quite long bristles and handles.

Thank you very much, dear sir! It confirms my suspicion that this is designed for something like the Omega 10048 and wouldn't suit me. I will stay with my wider and shorter bowl for the time being.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Thanks to another member here, I had the opportunity to try the new Single Blade C&V this weekend.

I have never been too impressed with the "regular" Proraso line of creams (Green, Red, Blue) but this Single Blade cream is very, very nice. The performance and post shave feel is top notch.

I say great job Proraso!

Has anyone used the Proraso dispenser? I'm curious how it works. Like is there something that attaches to the large bags.
proxy.php

I'm a simple shaver in that I've always used just one cream. When I first started shaving years ago, I used Noxczema (red tube) as thats what my father used. It was perfect and never made me want to try anything else. When they eventually stopped making it, we searched for a while for a suitable replacement which eventually turned out to be Proraso.

Their balms aren't great (but are priced fairly) - but the Proraso creams (esp. red & white) are easily my favourites...and I live in London, so I've tried many of the fancy pants high-brow creams. I'm also a huge fan of the Green Splash, and the red pre-shave.

Superb quality products, that are generously priced - what could be more Italian?

Top Bottom