What's new

Proraso: 10 good reasons to love it!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Proraso has been my very first shaving cream, since I started my wet shaving experience about fourteen years ago.
I continue to use it regularly and always keep a tube of this marvellous product in my rotation.
Now, to honour it, I want to write down my "10 good reasons" for loving it.

1. Traditional Barbershop product.
With over 60 years of experience, Proraso has been the best selling shaving cream and soap here in Italy.
Today it is one of the most appreciated and respected brands all over the World.

2. Packaging.
It comes in a very nice, old-fashioned cardboard box.
The cream itself comes in a beautiful metal tube.
All very traditional, very classical, very cool.

3. Scent.
This is something very subjective.
But for me Proraso has an amazing, fresh and clean fragrance.
I love it.

4. Latherability.
Proraso is without a doubt one of the easiest creams on the market to lather up.
It just explodes it tons of rich, dense and creamy lather.

5. Slickness.
This is one of the slickest shaving creams I have found, regardless of price.
I am sure that here at B&B many other members can confirm about Proraso's amazing slickness.

6. Moisturizing properties.
Again, very high.
The cream itself does not dry out and, after using it, my skin feels wonderfully moisturized.

7. Freshness.
Since it contains Eucalyptus Oil and Menthol it is hard to find a more refreshing cream than this one.
Maybe only Castle Forbes Lime Oil can compete with Proraso on the "cooling effect".

8. Price.
Proraso is the biggest bang for the buck.
At € 1.70 per tube, I think no further commentary is necassary.

9. Availability.
Proraso, here in Italy, is available almost everywhere: supermarkets, shopping centers, local stores, etc.
Having no shipping cost, I reduce once more the price of this product.

10. Overall quality.
Proraso is an outstanding shaving cream.
I honestly think it can compare with the best of them, at the same high level.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That one is a keeper! Cheap and good! I will soon experiment to make a shaving stick with the shaving cream (I did a small scale test with positive results)... The Splash is just awesome too!

That one is a keeper! Cheap and good! I will soon experiment to make a shaving stick with the shaving cream (I did a small scale test with positive results)... The Splash is just awesome too!

Hello Luc!

Can I apply for one of those 'Lucraso' sticks?

Wim

Last edited:
Proraso has been my very first shaving cream, since I started my wet shaving experience about fourteen years ago.
I continue to use it regularly and always keep a tube of this marvellous product in my rotation.
Now, to honour it, I want to write down my "10 good reasons" for loving it.

1. Traditional Barbershop product.
With over 60 years of experience, Proraso has been the best selling shaving cream and soap here in Italy.
Today it is one of the most appreciated and respected brands all over the World.

2. Packaging.
It comes in a very nice, old-fashioned cardboard box.
The cream itself comes in a beautiful metal tube.
All very traditional, very classical, very cool.

3. Scent.
This is something very subjective.
But for me Proraso has an amazing, fresh and clean fragrance.
I love it.

4. Latherability.
Proraso is without a doubt one of the easiest creams on the market to lather up.
It just explodes it tons of rich, dense and creamy lather.

5. Slickness.
This is one of the slickest shaving creams I have found, regardless of price.
I am sure that here at B&B many other members can confirm about Proraso's amazing slickness.

6. Moisturizing properties.
Again, very high.
The cream itself does not dry out and, after using it, my skin feels wonderfully moisturized.

7. Freshness.
Since it contains Eucalyptus Oil and Menthol it is hard to find a more refreshing cream than this one.
Maybe only Castle Forbes Lime Oil can compete with Proraso on the "cooling effect".

8. Price.
Proraso is the biggest bang for the buck.
At € 1.70 per tube, I think no further commentary is necassary.

9. Availability.
Proraso, here in Italy, is available almost everywhere: supermarkets, shopping centers, local stores, etc.
Having no shipping cost, I reduce once more the price of this product.

10. Overall quality.
Proraso is an outstanding shaving cream.
I honestly think it can compare with the best of them, at the same high level.

Slight voice of dissent here. Agree with number one. Disagree with number two, but I am using the C.O. Bigelow branded product. The tube cap has the annoying habit of quickly losing the ability to close properly. This is a frequently reported problem with this tube. Disagree with number three, as I think the scent is "meh." It is a little too medicinal for my taste. Agree with number 4. Lathers wonderfully. Disagree with number 5. I think many other creams are just as slick if not slicker; certainly KMF creams are slicker. Disagree with number 6. I get much better moisturization out of VDH Deluxe than I get from Proraso. I sort of agree with number 7, in that the menthol does make it somewhat refreshing, but I think there are plenty of other mentholated creams on the market if that's what one enjoys. Agree with 8 and 9; the price is fair and even in the U.S. we can pick it up at a brick-and-mortar store. Disagree with number 10. I feel that Taylor's, Trumper's, and T&H are all quite a bit better than Proraso; but, as they say, YMMV.

Always performs well, delightful scent and never talks back. Hm, in what other area of life would it be nice to have something that performs so well?

I keep stocking up on it everytime my wife says: "We need to buy a little something more from drugstore.com or some similar website.

The thing I always turn to? Proraso!

Regarding availibilty I have been told that Proraso is the best selling grooming product in Italy, does this mean "traditional product" like we use on B&B or have the Italians managed to hold onto sense en masse and avoid the monstrous canned goo's of gillette and co? Also +1 to the OP Proraso is exteremly good for the price and great for warm weather.

All the best Grant

The only one I'd quibble with is #8. A tube costs the same as a pot of TOBS or the TBS here. But if you can get it for under two euro, yes it is indeed very good value.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Hello Luc!

Can I apply for one of those 'Lucraso' sticks?

Wim

:lol:

Good to hear from you Wim!

I can show you how to make one! I'm waiting to have a free shaving tube to make it.

Use it regularly and recommend it to others. You can't argue with a time tested product like this. It reeks of tradition.

Absolutely. Great stuff - I've been using it and the pre/post for over 20 years! (Though Valobra is another great Italian soap - or perhaps I'm prejudiced because I'm Italian!).
I buy them both by the 500g (yes, 1.1 lbs.!) size and it's only about $US 25.00 for the cream; $30 for the pre/post.

Proraso is the only stuff i've used so far. I started using the cream and now I use the soap. I have some MWF but haven't opened the box yet.

Top Bottom