What's new

Proraso: 10 good reasons to love it!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
@Marco, I am a member of another shaving board that constantly puts down "common" mass-produced soaps like Proraso.

I'm the one who keeps saying Proraso is an excellent soap, and if anyone is having issues with it, it's probably due to starting with a brush that's too dry and/or not loading enough product.

I will always have a tub of red, white and green in my den.

The soap snobs would love Proraso if it were priced 10x higher than it is.
+1 true that Rudy.

Only been wet shaving seriously for about 1.5 years. My first soap and after-balm was Saponificio Veracino. These products are a bit costly, so I started researching and came across Proraso products and instantly recognized them as the same ones my dad used when I was a kid. I purchased the large tube of cream, the large bottle of after splash, as well as the pre shave cream. I honestly don't think I'll ever look back. These products just work, and better than that I can buy a 2 year supply for the price of a 6 month supply of the Saponificio. I will be adding just a few menthol crystals to my splash to add a little more cooling since I recently moved to the South and I find it refreshing to splash this stuff on several times a day.

In all honesty, I do not get any medicinal scent at all in the Ever-Green. To my nose its scent is fresh, clean, lightly mentholated and unique. Any time I use it (or just sniff it) my mind recalls the Old School barbershops, both past and present. Fantastic scent IMHO.

That's all I get that "medicinal scent". It's almost like a floor cleaner type scent, with hints of old barber shop (but I had to try really hard to get "old barber shop"). For me Musgo Real Classic is a lot more "traditional" barber shop scent.

Figured I'd try Proraso cream purely based on you starting this thread. For me personally (picked up green one) it's not bad, but not that great either. I would say it's average shaving cream where you pretty much get what you pay for. Cooling effect for me is way too intense, but I get that's very subjective. Scent though, which is another subjective thing is a huge turn off for me.

This is so true, dear sir! If Proraso costed as much as the expensive english creams, everyone would be raving about them.

Have to respectfully disagree here. Currently I have 3 English creams that are all more expensive than Proraso and to me all 3 are significantly better than Proraso in every aspect. I like inexpensive Omega soft soap (apparently was made by Proraso for Omega in the past?). I also am a big fan of Speick shaving cream, so no "knocking" of less expensive products from me, for me Proraso just isn't some sort of giant killer.

Have to respectfully disagree here. Currently I have 3 English creams that are all more expensive than Proraso and to me all 3 are significantly better than Proraso in every aspect. I like inexpensive Omega soft soap (apparently was made by Proraso for Omega in the past?). I also am a big fan of Speick shaving cream, so no "knocking" of less expensive products from me, for me Proraso just isn't some sort of giant killer.

If we 'd all agree, the world would be a very boring place! But, have you tried the "Single blade" prorasos? They cost more, maybe they are very good!

I agree with most things here, but I only need one reason to not like the stuff, it dries the heck out of my skin before i can even finish the shave. Very unfortunate since I love the packaging, the scent, the lather, it just doesn't do it for me sadly.

If we 'd all agree, the world would be a very boring place! But, have you tried the "Single blade" prorasos? They cost more, maybe they are very good!

Maybe I'm wrong, it's difficult to be sure from a written reply, but if you're (cynically perhaps) implying that I would like it more just because it's more expensive, I can assure you that's not the case. Price did not influence my opinion of Proraso, if anything it influenced my opinion favorably. I feel it's a good inexpensive cream, just not "absolute must have" in my opinion and definitively not better (for me personally) than more expensive creams I currently own.

If I find "single blade" in my area, I'd give it a try, sure, it would just have to be different scent as green didn't work for me.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I've never ever had a problem with it drying out on my face. I have hard water, live in Colorado, and it lathers as easy as Tabac or Haslinger for me. The green and the red are fantastic scents. Now if they could only blend the scent with a hint of Arko and Tabac they'd really have something. :w00t:

it dries the heck out of my skin before i can even finish the shave.
With many (most?) soaps, this in an indication of not enough water in your lather. Try starting with a very wet but not dripping brush, and load for at least 120 swirls and see if that doesn't make a huge difference for you.

Maybe I'm wrong, it's difficult to be sure from a written reply, but if you're (cynically perhaps) implying that I would like it more just because it's more expensive, I can assure you that's not the case. Price did not influence my opinion of Proraso, if anything it influenced my opinion favorably. I feel it's a good inexpensive cream, just not "absolute must have" in my opinion and definitively not better (for me personally) than more expensive creams I currently own.

If I find "single blade" in my area, I'd give it a try, sure, it would just have to be different scent as green didn't work for me.

Different people have different needs. This is why i suggested the more expensive versions, since if they are more expensives, they must be better and in fact, i haven't read anyone saying he didn't like them. They are different scents in deed. One is wood and spice and the other is cypress and vetiver.

Different people have different needs. This is why i suggested the more expensive versions, since if they are more expensives, they must be better and in fact, i haven't read anyone saying he didn't like them. They are different scents in deed. One is wood and spice and the other is cypress and vetiver.

Fair enough, certainly no disagreement on "different needs" but if we're honest, most of creams we all own are well past basic needs. :D

I've gone through this whole thread and if I recall correctly Marco mentioned his opinion was that "single blade" is nice improvement over "original" Proraso, so at some point I'm sure I'll give it a try.

9. Availability.
Proraso, here in Italy, is available almost everywhere: supermarkets, shopping centers, local stores, etc.
Having no shipping cost, I reduce once more the price of this product.
I'm just beginning to see tubs of Proraso on shelves locally (Eastern Canada).
Sadly, most places are stocking white or green. My favourite is the red.

I am currently 3017ing a tube of Proraso Blue. It's a very good workhorse cream. I think TOBS is better, but that also costs twice as much.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gents, the Single Blade creams are now part of my permanent rotation of creams. Amazing scents, amazing slickness, amazing performance. Or, if you prefer, Proraso at its very best. :001_wub:

Fair enough, certainly no disagreement on "different needs" but if we're honest, most of creams we all own are well past basic needs. :D

I've gone through this whole thread and if I recall correctly Marco mentioned his opinion was that "single blade" is nice improvement over "original" Proraso, so at some point I'm sure I'll give it a try.

Actually most of my creams are the cheap ones (Proraso, Palmolive, Lea, Arko), but ever since i start using an argan oil hand cream as preshave, the performance of Proraso lathered over that cream, has skyrocketed its performance. So i bought a TOBS, to compare how much better a TOBS is, compared to Argan oil+Proraso. And i don't mean about the fragrance. That's secondary. I will probably start the TOBS in autumn or winter and then i will be able to compare.

The new Prorasos are quite more expensive than the "normal" prorasos and they are sold in "professonal format" and not in the supermarkets, but from specialized stores. So they should be better and satisfy also those accustomed to more refined creams.

With many (most?) soaps, this in an indication of not enough water in your lather. Try starting with a very wet but not dripping brush, and load for at least 120 swirls and see if that doesn't make a huge difference for you.
I get the same lather that I do from other soaps, and it shaves well, just I can really feel my skin isn't being moisturized at all, so I tend to get quite a bit of irritation in the sensitive parts of my neck. The lather I like is also generally pretty wet, I don't like it to be too thick or gooey, slows down the razor.

I absolutely love Proraso Red, it's one of my favourite creams.
Whenever I use it I know i won't feel any irritation from the blade. And I love the take on sandalwood, it smells really great even if i would love it to be a tad stronger.
I'm eager to try the new single blade line. I wanted to try the Azur Lime but it's always out so stock so I've ordered the Wood & Spice.

I have to say that the Red, Green, and White tubs sit next to my MdC Fougere and Original in constant rotation. Red being my favorite in soap and cream.

No, better (IMHO). :gunsmilie:
Marco, have you seen any of the Proraso Single Blade Azur Lime Cream. The Wood and Spice and Cypress Vetiver are all; readily available, but no one has seen the Azur lime and it was supposed to be available again around the 6th of June. Was wondering if anywhere in Italy is having the same shortage

Top Bottom