What's new

Proraso Blue Scent

I love the blue scent. I have found, quite by accident, that by squeezing the product into a plastic container and allowing it to sit for a few days will draw out more scent, as a glass of wine or whisky will "open" after exposure. Better IMO in this way than straight out of the tube.

I don't mind it, although it is quite a "cologney" sandalwood rather than a warm, dry one. AFAIK, Proroso is one of the few products actually using genuine sandalwood oil (or it was prior to the rise of the artisans) but I imagine the quantities are small and there's definitely an admixture of other stuff in there too. The splash smells a lot better than the soap / cream!

There is no way a company the size of them is using anything more than a super tiny amount. It smelled nothing like the real thing to me...very synthetic - almost rubbery on some note. It is mostly likely predominantly FO. I know a lot of people love the red but when I sniffed it at a store I didn't like it - and I wanted to like it. That's just my nose.

I can deal with "cologney" sandalwood scents, even if they aren't faithful per se, e.g. DRH Sandalwood. It just depends on the specific product though.

Update on my original post:
So after using Proraso Blue for about 20 consecutive shaves in the SOTM I must admit that the scent has grown on me. I barely notice any of the off putting "plasticky" scent that I used to. Instead, the general "clean fresh" or barbershop notes with a touch of menthol are what I get from the lather. Its not the most interesting smelling cream, and I can't see it ever being my favorite, but its not bad either. And I find it easy to face lather.

...and actually ended up hucking the tube if blue I had. I did the same with the red tube but I did use that one for several months until I just got sick of the overly heavy sandalwood scent.

The Sandalwood on the other thand....that one is offensive to me. I just threw a tube out as myself and both kids couldn't handle it shaving either.

... Though the red has a bit of a slight synthetic scent that I’m not quite fond of...

... I know a lot of people love the red but when I sniffed it at a store I didn't like it - and I wanted to like it...

Pretty much agree. I bought the red and green early in my wet shaving journey. I used the green once and gave it away. The red lasted a bit longer but went into the trash one day when the scent became cloying.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
In all honesty, at the beginning the scent of Proraso Blue was not exactly my cup of tea. But now this scent is growing on me and I'm starting to love it. I guess one of the main reasons is the overall greatness of this outstanding product. Proraso Blue truly is among the finest shaving creams available on the market, anywhere and in any price point.

It's an odd scent...not objectionable at all, but not one that I really look forward to. I prefer the scent of the Proraso blue balm

I have used my new Proraso Blue 3 days now and I like it. I think the scent is very mild but pleasant and nice. However, I would like an aftershave splash in the blue line that has a bit more of the scent.

There is no way a company the size of them is using anything more than a super tiny amount. It smelled nothing like the real thing to me...very synthetic - almost rubbery on some note. It is mostly likely predominantly FO. I know a lot of people love the red but when I sniffed it at a store I didn't like it - and I wanted to like it. That's just my nose.

I can deal with "cologney" sandalwood scents, even if they aren't faithful per se, e.g. DRH Sandalwood. It just depends on the specific product though.
Agreed. The red is a very synthetic take on sandalwood and is not to my taste. The aftershave is good though, at least I liked it. But the soap….no thanks.

All Proraso scents are very cheap, chemically type of fragrances. To me the blue smells like generic body wash mixed with paint stripper and mineral turpentine. I’ve always thought it’s awful.
I'm no rocket scientist, but a if product treated my face like paint stripper why on God's earth would you try three more from said brand? .... there are like 1000 other options

I'm no rocket scientist, but a if product treated my face like paint stripper why on God's earth would you try three more from said brand? .... there are like 1000 other options
ironically, the blue is the best performer proraso makes and has the best face feel. But the scent is atrocious. I tried them because why not? I like trying new things and seeing how they are. Its a part of making shaving a hobby. I gave it a fair shake for two weeks before I tapped out and gave it away.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The only thing that I find disappointing is that the Blue pre-shave is hard to find in my usual local shops, while the Blue shaving cream is always fully in stock. I do not have this issue with the other Proraso colours, of which I easily find both the pre-shave and matching cream on the shelves.

I got a tube of the Blue and tried it today. I would call the scent "generic men's toiletry." Not offensive at all, not unpleasant. Reminiscent of many of the old drugstore shave creams, not any one specifically. Kind of a little of all of them? Has a nice clean undertone, to me. Reminds me a little of the hair oil my dad used to use too.

Performance-wise, I agree with @brucered and others that it is a step above the Red (haven't used the other flavors). Post shave is nice as long as you don't mind a little menthol. I found the scent to be subtle in use but it actually seems to linger on the skin longer than I anticipated.

A tube of Proraso Blue found its way to my doorstep shortly after this thread began.

I agree with most that the scent is generic and difficult to describe. It is not profoundly enjoyable but not really offensive or clashy either. All four scents contain the same chemical/medicinal undertone that "distinguishes" Proraso. It is present in Red, green, blue, and white in descending order of prominence...in my opinion. It must be an addictive secret drooling agent, but I can see how some do not like it.

Green remains my summertime & overall Proraso favorite. Blue is #2. Blue & White are more seasonally versatile & appropriate for "scent-sensitive" settings. I think all 4 scents lather/shave/post-shave almost the same, so it really comes down to scent and menthol preference. If Green has a menthol strength of 3/5, Blue is a 1/5. White and Red have none.

White reminds me of tulips or a faint rose vs apples & tea. It is probably the most bland/nonreactive version during the shave (individual sensitivities notwithstanding). Blue tingles a bit more than White or Red (is it the aloe or low menthol?), but possibly offers a better post shave than the others. I personally don't think there is much of a difference though based on 3 consecutive days with each scent in similar weather. Maybe placebo, maybe not. Highly-subjective territory for sure.

Blue gets my scent vote over White for anyone wanting to start with a neutral Proraso, but it's close. White is the starting choice for zero tingle or if the scent description sounds better to you. Red is the most polarizing of the four; even sandlewood lovers can't agree. I personally did not notice any extra slickness (less, if anything) or softening with Red's shea butter and an average beard.

Trying one scent will give anyone a pretty clear idea of Proraso's general behavior, but it is easy to end up with a cabinet full of colors, even at North American Prices. If you don't like one tube though, don't expect a major difference with the others. It is also important to note that:

1)Super Formula does seem better than older versions (based only on my long-term use of Green). I think the difference is bigger than any differences between current formula scents, and

2)One can very quickly get a mediocre or servicable lather from Proraso, but an excellent lather (slickness, stability, post-shave) happens after painting in a little more water on the face. It does not require excessive effort or alignment of the stars to do so. Give that a try before giving up on it.

I completed a tube of the blue cream a few years ago. I got a liquorice scent from it. I didn’t smell any musk or laundry. It was quite pleasant iirc. Provided some very good shaves. When I finish all my stocked up soaps and creams I’ll be picking up a tube for sure.

Top Bottom