What's new

Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

My initial exposure to the Veg was negative.

I recently purchased, on eBay, an Avon Tankard "Casey at the Bat" and it came with "Wild Country" AS. It reminded me of the Veg sample sent to me by crleftwich, but more pleasant at the initial sniff. I put some of the WC on my wrist to see the reaction and it was positive.

So now I had to go and try the Veg sample again. This time the scent was more mellow and I also placed some Veg on the opposite wrist. So far, it has a different bouquet, yet more pleasant, than when I first received it.

Interesting!

I asked my daughter to sniff the Veg wrist and she said it smelled nice. She had previously said the Veg smelled like cat urine a couple of weeks ago.

What is going on?

Has anyone had a similar comparison of Avon WC to the Veg?

Last edited:
I just tried the veg for the first time. Got some of the horrid notes that some complain about at first, but it quickly mellowed to scent that easily reminds me of the lilac flowers on our property. Not a foo-foo scent like you might think, but honestly reminiscent of what a real lilac in a vase would smell like.

I'm awaiting the final verdict from the Mrs, but I'm pretty sure I'm chosen, and I choose it! Like it!

I just tried the veg for the first time. Got some of the horrid notes that some complain about at first, but it quickly mellowed to scent that easily reminds me of the lilac flowers on our property. Not a foo-foo scent like you might think, but honestly reminiscent of what a real lilac in a vase would smell like.

I'm awaiting the final verdict from the Mrs, but I'm pretty sure I'm chosen, and I choose it! Like it!

The Veg is a shape shifter.

I was in Bed Bath and Beyond today to look in the shaving aisle and there on the shelf was a 12 oz. bottle of Pinaud Lilac Vegetal. After yesterday's revisit with the Veg sample, I decided to buy it. The price was decent @ $6.59.

When I got to my car I got bold and opened the bottle. I poured a generous amount into my hand and proceeded to apply it to my neck and face. Once it is on it is not a bad scent. I will continue to use the Veg and see where this takes me.

I initially was not too thrilled with VIBR and now I like it a lot and look forward to its turn in the rotation. Maybe the Veg is headed in that direction also.

I'm glad to hear it, Tommy.
The Veg has become my Sunday aftershave. I've probably mentioned this a dozen or so times but I've always heard that it smells better if you decant it into a glass bottle. So, I went on ebay and found a vintage lilac vegetal glass bottle which I bid on and won. So, I took it out of the plastic and put it into the glass. I think it helped the smell improve some straight from the bottle.

The Veg has become my Sunday aftershave. I've probably mentioned this a dozen or so times but I've always heard that it smells better if you decant it into a glass bottle. So, I went on ebay and found a vintage lilac vegetal glass bottle which I bid on and won. So, I took it out of the plastic and put it into the glass. I think it helped the smell improve some straight from the bottle.

Well interestingly, I used it today post shave for the first time with my normal mix of Nivea Sensitive and Original Balms.

I don't know if I'm chosen, but I am going to put into the rotation. Why I don't know, but it doesn't smell anything like when I first sampled it.

I asked the SWMBO her opinion and she liked it and said it smelled like baby powder. I told her what it was and she was surprised. She had the initial reaction I did to the Veg. Something about it smelling like a baby's diaper.

Oh well, sometimes you just need to give things a chance.

$Ed Pinaud.jpg

I just won the above Ed Pinaud Vintage glass bottles on eBay. $1.99 + shipping. I'll try out the glass theory.

Hey, guys,

I won a glass bottle on eBay, too! I already love The Veg, but I think it will be even better in glass. This was true for Clubman and VIBR, at least for me.

proxy.php

proxy.php

-- Sammy

Last edited:
My screw cap from the plastic bottle was much larger than that of the glass bottle. Luckily, the glass bottle came with the screw cap.

The cap for the vintage bottle is significantly smaller than the new plastic bottles.

$IMG_4425.jpg

It actually fits inside the new cap

$IMG_4426.jpg

So far I've encountered three cap sizes on Pinaud bottles: the modern size on plastic bottles, the middle size on many glass bottles (pictured above fitting inside the modern cap), and an even smaller cap that fits my oldest Pinaud glass bottles.

Depending on what kind of glass bottle you get, you'll need either the mid-sized cap (pictured below in the middle) or the smallest size (pictured at the right).

proxy.php

I've also found that the cap from a small (2 oz.) Tabasco bottle is the same size as the mid-sized cap and will fit those bottles.

proxy.php

I have not yet found a substitute for the smallest sized cap, but I keep looking. If any of you find one, let me know, and I'll do the same!

-- Sammy

Last edited:
So far I've encountered three cap sizes on Pinaud bottles: the modern size on plastic bottles, the middle size on many glass bottles (pictured above fitting inside the modern cap), and an even smaller cap that fits my oldest Pinaud glass bottles.

Depending on what kind of glass bottle you get, you'll need either the mid-sized cap (pictured below in the middle) or the smallest size (pictured at the right).

proxy.php

I've also found that the cap from a small Tabasco bottle is the same size as the mid-sized cap and will fit those bottles.

proxy.php

I have not yet found a substitute for the smallest sized cap, but I keep looking. If any of you find one, let me know, and I'll do the same!

-- Sammy

Great info! That is what I like about B&B.

By any chance can you point me in a direction to potentially look for a vintage screw cap or stopper? I can live with the Tabasco option. I like that thinking outside the box.

Great info! That is what I like about B&B.

By any chance can you point me in a direction to potentially look for a vintage screw cap or stopper? I can live with the Tabasco option. I like that thinking outside the box.

I've never seen the caps sold separately, but I'm always looking at old bottles with caps in flea markets and antique stores. You might have some luck there. I've also used small corks as stoppers when I can't find a suitable replacement cap. You can usually find corks at places like Hobby Lobby or Home Depot.

-- Sammy

Hey, guys,

I won a glass bottle on eBay, too! I already love The Veg, but I think it will be even better in glass. This was true for Clubman and VIBR, at least for me.

proxy.php

proxy.php

-- Sammy
Sammy, is that VIBR bottle an old Lilac Vegetal bottle with the label changed? Did they ever have VIBR in glass?

Top Bottom