What's new

Pass-Around! Two Modded GD Razors and a Pasted Balsa Strop

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Be sure to test for sharpness. Those blades should treetop at 1/4" easily. If not I suggest going 100 laps on the balsa post shave for a few days until they do.

It’s treetopping fine (that’s my test too). I presume the others were doing the post shave laps to maintain your edge. I am too.

My point was, I’m impressed by the smoothness of it. .5, and .25 CBN can feel harsh in my experience, and I’ve been happy with a pico’d 1 mil in the past. That’s all I’m saying.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
It’s treetopping fine (that’s my test too). I presume the others were doing the post shave laps to maintain your edge. I am too.

My point was, I’m impressed by the smoothness of it. .5, and .25 CBN can feel harsh in my experience, and I’ve been happy with a pico’d 1 mil in the past. That’s all I’m saying.

Sorry if it sounded like I was calling you out out on technique. It just occurred to me that I neglected to make the suggestion to anyone to test for sharpness, or what to do if it doesn't measure up.

Yeah it is strange how the .1u smoothes it out so nicely. Nearly everyone finds .25u and .5u harsh and so they never learn the joy of the .1u edge. I wish everybody would give it a try.

It’s fair for you to be conserned about edge status with so many people touching it. There’s too many variables at this point to know if I have the edge you sent out.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I sent them out today. Slash, thanks immensely for the opportunity to see what you do with GD, and your Method.

List update:
steveclarkus
MilkCrate
EB Newfarm
KW Driver (mailed outbound)
@Sinnbad11
@Animag771
@Dzaw
@Schinny
@mrlandpirate
@Bob L.
@buca3152

Buca3152, has requested to be last but since he originally was first, he has been reserved the right to cut in line wherever and whenever he wants.

Welcome! I am very pleased that everyone so far is finding the maintenance easy and the shaves nice. NOW more guys know why I have been beating the drum so loud about the diamond/balsa thing.

I picked up the package today, they arrived Saturday but due to some time constraints I wasn't able to pick them up then. Like others I'm very impressed that these started as gold dollars. Also I would like to allay any concerns about sharpness as the edge is HHT 5-, the minus is there because it is an incredibly slight noise, but still the closest I have ever seen to a HHT 5. I will shave with them tonight, tomorrow, and Wednesday and I will send them out Thursday.

First shave down before work tonight. First thing I can say is keen, very keen, the blade mowed through hair very easily. I only had one days growth and after my xtg pass there was very little to take off atg. Perhaps a bit too keen for my face, I had some very slight redness on my neck that dissipated about 10 mins after I applied aftershave. The Method edge is fantastically sharp, compared to my typical Jnat edge it was a tad sharper but a fair bit less smooth. One big plus to the method edge is the fact that they basically don't need honed. I have to refinish my Jnat sharpened blades about every 12 shaves usually. Anyhow, day one complete and we will see how I feel tomorrow after being a little bit more prepared for what to expect.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
First shave down before work tonight. First thing I can say is keen, very keen, the blade mowed through hair very easily. I only had one days growth and after my xtg pass there was very little to take off atg. Perhaps a bit too keen for my face, I had some very slight redness on my neck that dissipated about 10 mins after I applied aftershave. The Method edge is fantastically sharp, compared to my typical Jnat edge it was a tad sharper but a fair bit less smooth. One big plus to the method edge is the fact that they basically don't need honed. I have to refinish my Jnat sharpened blades about every 12 shaves usually. Anyhow, day one complete and we will see how I feel tomorrow after being a little bit more prepared for what to expect.

Try a lower shave angle. A Method edge on a thin blade shaves a lot nicer with the spine not quite touching the face, and never more gap than a spine thickness. I also stretch fairly hard. It's almost like shaving with a shavette except for the solid feel.

Alright, I mailed the razors out today, they are cleaned, sanitized, stropped, and dried. Fantastically keen edge. I also ordered some diamond paste to see how it would affect my razors edge. Thanks for the opportunity, once again wonderful work on the gold dollars.
List update:
steveclarkus
MilkCrate
EB Newfarm
KW Driver
Sinnbad11 (mailed outbound)
@Animag771
@Dzaw
@Schinny
@mrlandpirate
@Bob L.
@buca3152

Buca3152, has requested to be last but since he originally was first, he has been reserved the right to cut in line wherever and whenever he wants.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Came home to a box on the front porch and I was thinking "what the heck did I order". I started unwrapping the mass of bubble wrap (good thing my wife isn't home yet... She'd pop it all.) and inside I found the 2 razors and a very nice looking balsa. This balsa is so much better quality than the one I got with my Poor Man's Strop. I'm going to have to make one like this. I too, love the razor socks btw. IlI' be using the white handled one tomorrow morning to get ready for a day with family. Good timing.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Came home to a box on the front porch and I was thinking "what the heck did I order". I started unwrapping the mass of bubble wrap (good thing my wife isn't home yet... She'd pop it all.) and inside I found the 2 razors and a very nice looking balsa. This balsa is so much better quality than the one I got with my Poor Man's Strop. I'm going to have to make one like this. I too, love the razor socks btw. IlI' be using the white handled one tomorrow morning to get ready for a day with family. Good timing.

any update on how you like them :shaving:

Sorry, I've been far too inactive here lately. Life has been busy. I'm so sick of adulting.

So far I've only used the white one, 3 times. I'll be using the grey one today. This thing is deadly sharp and has been cutting through my 2 day stubble with ease. On Monday I did WTG then completely skipped XTG and moved straight to ATG. This isn't something I'd try with my own razor, because ATG is normally full of skipping. This edge made things so much smoother and the results were great (DFS+BBS). I'll definitely be trying to replicate this method with my own razor. Also post #91 was very helpful... A very tight skin stretch and shallow angle work well with these. The first time I shaved with it I had a bit of burn because my angle was too steep, I reduced it on the next shave and voila, no burn.

I also really like the balsa+acrylic combo. It's light enough to hold in hand while stropping and thick enough to keep it from being just a flimsy piece of balsa. After re-reading the original post to make sure I don't hold onto these for too long, it occurred to me that there was no paste in the box when I received it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Sorry, I've been far too inactive here lately. Life has been busy. I'm so sick of adulting.

So far I've only used the white one, 3 times. I'll be using the grey one today. This thing is deadly sharp and has been cutting through my 2 day stubble with ease. On Monday I did WTG then completely skipped XTG and moved straight to ATG. This isn't something I'd try with my own razor, because ATG is normally full of skipping. This edge made things so much smoother and the results were great (DFS+BBS). I'll definitely be trying to replicate this method with my own razor. Also post #91 was very helpful... A very tight skin stretch and shallow angle work well with these. The first time I shaved with it I had a bit of burn because my angle was too steep, I reduced it on the next shave and voila, no burn.

I also really like the balsa+acrylic combo. It's light enough to hold in hand while stropping and thick enough to keep it from being just a flimsy piece of balsa. After re-reading the original post to make sure I don't hold onto these for too long, it occurred to me that there was no paste in the box when I received it.
Fortunately it is very easy to duplicate and at little cost. That is the beauty of The Method. It is cheap, easy and sharp as hell.

Top Bottom