What's new

Pass-Around! Two Modded GD Razors and a Pasted Balsa Strop

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Well I finally got around to putting scales on these two GD mods and honing them up. I promised some time ago to pass one around with a balsa strop, so those who have never tried this method of edge maintenance can have a go and experience a Method edge. So far I think I have:

@steveclarkus
@buca3152
@MilkCrate
@EB Newfarm
@KW Driver
@Sinnbad11

The idea here is a recipient keeps and uses the gear for a week or two, then ships it to the next person on the list. CONUS only, please. At least for now. Happy or unhappy or unimpressed one way or the other users can post their results and opinions and add to the knowledge base. This is definitely NOT meant to be a way for a complete beginner to experience his first straight shave. The idea is to compare the pasted balsa strop maintenance and finish to what you are already using. I will probably post a youtube vid on proper use of the pasted balsa strop soon. In the meantime, read up on The Method. The razor should be stropped lightly about 50 laps after each shave and this should keep the edge going for the life of the passaround. After about 30 uses, they diamond may need refreshing. I have included some extra diamond paste for this. Be sure to apply it as per the pasted balsa strop thread.

To be put on the list, please already have at least one straight razor and at least 10 successful shaves with it, and at least 50 posts, and a CONUS mail address. Put "Put Me On The List" prominently in your post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thank You Slash for a GD66 Pass Around, but not in lol being the other side of that big pond......

Hey Ian, once everyone interested in CONUS has had a crack at it, maybe we will send it off to Euro Land, and let it be Euro zone only for a while. Or UK, wherever the demand is.

Okay I finally got the package off in the mail to the first recipient, steveclarkus.

I should just put you in, anyway. Sure you don't want in?
@steveclarkus is sending me a piece of balsa and I have .01 diamond 50% coming from Amazon. I am watching your video over and over. I need to find some wet dry tomorrow for lapping and a base. You've been more than a great resource and I truly appreciate it. I'd just rather get my hands dirty and do it myself, but thank you.

I shaved again today with the razor I used the burr method in you compendium on Saturday. The satisfaction is as good as the shave.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
@steveclarkus is sending me a piece of balsa and I have .01 diamond 50% coming from Amazon. I am watching your video over and over. I need to find some wet dry tomorrow for lapping and a base. You've been more than a great resource and I truly appreciate it. I'd just rather get my hands dirty and do it myself, but thank you.

I shaved again today with the razor I used the burr method in you compendium on Saturday. The satisfaction is as good as the shave.

Oh I hope you mean .1u not .01u. But okay cool. You are excused from the passaround, then.

Oh I hope you mean .1u not .01u. But okay cool. You are excused from the passaround, then.
Yes, .1u. Hope you don't think I am ungrateful for not participating. I'm looking for something vintage and cheap to hone. I actually enjoy the process and experimenting.

I re-honed the 4/8. Its better than before, but not as good as the 5/8 I did. Perhaps the steel is a harder grade.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yes, .1u. Hope you don't think I am ungrateful for not participating. I'm looking for something vintage and cheap to hone. I actually enjoy the process and experimenting.

I re-honed the 4/8. Its better than before, but not as good as the 5/8 I did. Perhaps the steel is a harder grade.

You will get it. Keep at it and the missing piece of the puzzle will fall in place sooner or later.

At this stage, sometimes a USB microscope is helpful.

Harder steel, more laps. When you feel the stiction, keep going. Maybe add a drop of dish soap to create a bit of buffering, and keep going and going, light light pressure. Too much pressure and you can form a fin edge. If the pressure is too light to form a fin edge, you don't have to worry about over honing. The 1u film or the 12k stone, either one. You should first be confident that your 1u/12k edges are where they ought to be, before the balsa. And on to the balsa, without .5u and .25u, the .1u alone will be very very slow. It will take hundreds of laps to get a true .1u edge, and using pressure will be self defeating. So you have your work cut out for you, but I suspect it will simply be a matter of keeping at it until the edge satisfies.

You will get it. Keep at it and the missing piece of the puzzle will fall in place sooner or later.

At this stage, sometimes a USB microscope is helpful.

Harder steel, more laps. When you feel the stiction, keep going. Maybe add a drop of dish soap to create a bit of buffering, and keep going and going, light light pressure. Too much pressure and you can form a fin edge. If the pressure is too light to form a fin edge, you don't have to worry about over honing. The 1u film or the 12k stone, either one. You should first be confident that your 1u/12k edges are where they ought to be, before the balsa. And on to the balsa, without .5u and .25u, the .1u alone will be very very slow. It will take hundreds of laps to get a true .1u edge, and using pressure will be self defeating. So you have your work cut out for you, but I suspect it will simply be a matter of keeping at it until the edge satisfies.
I have .5 and .3 lapping film.

I like the idea of adding dish soap. Slicker I suppose.

I’m adding no pressure to film except to keep the blade straight and not angled.

I might have gone more laps per sheet of lapping film. Didn’t want to over do it.

Thank you again .

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I can send you a piece of 1u film if you want to try some. Now I remember, you go from 3u straight to .5u and that is a pretty big jump. That is about twice the normal grit jump. If you want the piece, PM me your address. I will just send it in a letter envelope.

I can send you a piece of 1u film if you want to try some. Now I remember, you go from 3u straight to .5u and that is a pretty big jump. That is about twice the normal grit jump. If you want the piece, PM me your address. I will just send it in a letter envelope.

Yes, I got mixed up the first time with the .5 and .3, but have straightened that out now. So, if I remember last night I began with 30, 12, 9, 5, 3, 1, .5, .3 micron lapping film. I stropped 25 on linen and 60 on horse hide. I noticed the tip was sharper than the remainder of the blade, but I was cautious about keeping the blade flat. Then I decided to shave a small area and the blade worked, however, I wanted more so I stropped on the rough side paddle with Cr O2 and the blade came into what I was wanting to feel.

I am distilling all this information. I enjoy the honing process. I find it peaceful and causes me to pay attention. I go slow. It does not bother me to have to re-hone as long as I am not damaging the blade by taking off too much metal.

The bottom line is the shave. So, I want to be able to restore or old vintages I find that have not been abused. The satisfaction I have experienced with the one I honed Saturday has endeared that blade to me. It's the only one I want to use. Of course, this is all new and I am sure I will evolve. Thank you for your help. I will send my address and I appreciate you help so very much. You are a very generous and genuine person.

I wish my overalls were as nice as yours....LOL!. I just keep mine hanging in the shop for when I am using the tractor or cutting firewood.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
last night I began with 30, 12, 9, 5, 3, 1, .5, .3 micron lapping film

Oh, so you DO have 1u film already? Or don't? No point of me sending you a piece if you already have it. Your PM title mentions .1u film and I don't have any of that. I have never even seen any.

Oh, so you DO have 1u film already? Or don't? No point of me sending you a piece if you already have it. Your PM title mentions .1u film and I don't have any of that. I have never even seen any.
Yes, I have 1u film. I thought you were offering .1. Since I have .1 diamond paste coming, I am good. Thank you so much for he offer. My self honed razor performed well this AM. No blood to date...LOL!! I am due.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yes, I have 1u film. I thought you were offering .1. Since I have .1 diamond paste coming, I am good. Thank you so much for he offer. My self honed razor performed well this AM. No blood to date...LOL!! I am due.

Ah Okay then. I thought from earlier posts you had no 1u, and 1u is your most important grit. Congratulations on the shave. It will keep getting better if you keep trying.

Top Bottom