What's new

Pass-Around! Two Modded GD Razors and a Pasted Balsa Strop

Not too late at all. If you meet the qualifications stated in the opening post, simply post and clearly state, "Put Me On The List" and you are on. Feel free to paste the current list in your post, amended with your user name above member buca3152, who has asked to be last.

The list currently looks like this.

past recipients:
steveclarkus
MilkCrate
EB Newfarm
KW Driver
Sinnbad11
Animag771

@Dzaw (has the box now)

Still waiting their turn:
@Schinny
@mrlandpirate
@Bob L.
@Ray Settanta
kingfisher
@buca3152

Buca3152, has requested to be last but since he originally was first, he has been reserved the right to cut in line wherever and whenever he wants.

You would be after Ray Settanta. As long as there are still eligible CONUS members on the list, the package will remain in CONUS. The last recipient should contact UK member IceMan for shipping arrangements and then it will be a UK passaround. When there are no more UK members interested, then it will go to the wider EU community for a go around.
Put Me On The List, please. Thanks so much.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Much better shave today; the white handled razor performed quite admirably:

Blood makes poor lather

Also, I have since yesterdays shave been informed that I am not the only person who has had similar experiences with the gray handled razor. At least one other shaver even stopped mid shave to re-strop it. Seems there may be a bit of a fin edge that is folding over, or some similar problem. I will try the leather and balsa, and keep everyone posted.

Okay then... That is probably what has happened. If you don't have .5u and .25u diamond (or CBN, which seems pretty much interchangeable with diamond) on balsa strops then there isn't much point in trying to hone it. It wouldn't be a Method edge. But if you do, then feel free to refresh the edge. I will take this opportunity to re iterate the importance of a few pull strokes at the end of each stage, followed by a few final very light laps. I suspect that either the pull strokes have been inadequate or pressure has been too heavy at some point in the razors travels. When I get home I will experiment with deliberately heavy pressure on the balsa, and omitting pull strokes from the regimen, separately, to see which one most closely duplicates the edge you are experiencing. This will be a good addition to the Method knowledge base.

I've got the equipment, and will set it to right. Hopefully, just the leather and 0.1 micron will do, but I've got a full compliment if it comes to it.

I suppose that it would be helpful to know which was more likely, but my money is on pressure. It matches too closely some of the other experiments I've read on very fine honing.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
spent the last few days getting my balsa strops up and running , took my filarmonica razor through too 0.1 all I can say is WOW
best straight shave yet wicked sharp and keen
can't wait to try these

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
spent the last few days getting my balsa strops up and running , took my filarmonica razor through too 0.1 all I can say is WOW
best straight shave yet wicked sharp and keen
can't wait to try these
Resistance is futile. You have been assimilated.

Also, as an aside. I stripped the white handled razor and also did one of mine on the diamond balsa from the pass around.

Now my own razor will similarly top even my fine arm hair. Looks like at this level of abrasive the diamond has the right mix of fine and aggressive to take my razors that extra bit, better even than the CBN.

Tomorrow’s shave will be split between my own that I just touched up on the diamond and the white handles from the pass around. This is pretty central to why I joined this passaround - I wanted to check in on how my honing is progressing.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Resistance is futile. You have been assimilated.
funny and true
images.jpg

OK - interesting positive experience today too:

Blood makes poor lather

I will be honing up the gray handled one this Saturday, I am putting a few racks of ribs on the smoker and will have the day to smoke meat and hone razors - an almost perfect day!

Ewwww, I can’t imagine they would be any good after handling by the post. Not to mention the stamp glue clashing with apple and cherry wood smoke.

This gray handled razor continues to confound me.

I tried stropping on leather. No dice.

Next I tried 100 laps on 0.1 micron diamond on balsa, nope. Follow up with 30 on leather. Nope.

Next I tried a full balsa progression. 0.5 micron, 0.25 micron, 0.1 micron. All refreshed today with diamond compound. Still won't treetop even leg hair.

Next, I went to 1 micron film - I did 100 light laps. It wouldn't treetop, but I finished it down using balsa. Nada.

Finally, I took out my two razors, and took my 2 and this 1 together back to 3 micron film. Then 1, then 0.5 film, then the full balsa progression. Starting with this level, everything I did to this gray handled razor I also did to my two so I could be sure I had a control group and so I would have something to compare my results to. My two razors have never been this sharp (at least, not since I've owned them). Easily popping my very fine arm hair, and I have to listen hard for the ping on a HHT. There is no reason this razor shouldn't be right there with them.

This gray handled razor will scrape the hair off my forearm if I try to "shave" it, but I need to work at it. Much more so in one direction than the other. This edge skates evenly and smoothly down a wet thumbnail. This feels like a burr, but one that is fine enough I can't find it with the pad of my thumb.

So, I can pass it along with the rest of the passaround box, or I can take it all the way back to raising a full length burr, but at this point, it is clear this edge is dull. I spent several hours on it today, trying soft, and progressively less soft methods. In order to actually correct whatever is wrong with this edge, I need to not be soft.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Well, if you want to reset the bevel and run the progression, go for it. If you want to send it along as is, go for it. Do it like you feel it. I just don't understand what is going on, and there is really no way to get it to me right now, and all my honing stuff and microscope are all at home.

Have you looked at the edge under a microscope?

It should be an easy razor to hone. Remember it is thin, and flexible, and won't tolerate much pressure. You shouldn't need to go all the way to raising a burr again, just a couple dozen laps should have it biting your thumbnail nicely.

I have looked at it under 100 power, and the very edge looks rough and “jeweled” .

The pressure issue is why I did it parallel to the other razors I’ve got - if there were a weakness in my technique, it would have shown in those edges too.

I have familial obligations tomorrow, but will be able to spend a couple of hours dedicated to this razor on Monday. If everything goes according to plan, I should be able to send it out to the next person on Tuesday all sharp and ready to shave.

Some, limited luck. I have now received the address for nex in line, and will have it all packaged up tomorrow morning.

The gray handled razor shaves now. It’s not great, but it is worlds better than it was . There’s an area about a centimeter long near the heel that apparently wasn’t quite on the films, even though the sharpie test sure looked even heel to toe. That centimeter or so isn’t quite sharp.

Not wanting to hog the passaround box, I’m sending it on it’s way with this razor as is. I shaved with the white handles one once, and it’s still great.

The box is on its way now to @Schinny

I am sorry I never found the time to re-fix the edge on the gray handled razor and get it right - it's improved, but improved isn't exactly "right". The white handled razor should be the one people use to test the edge on the method.

There is a tube of 0.1 micron diamond compound, but I did also refresh the strop already, so it should be good for a while yet.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thanks, @Dzaw, for helping to keep this thing going.

The list currently looks like this.

past recipients:
steveclarkus
MilkCrate
EB Newfarm
KW Driver
Sinnbad11
Animag771
Dzaw
Box enroute to: @Schinny

Waiting their turn:
@mrlandpirate
@Bob L.
@Ray Settanta
@kingfisher
@buca3152

Buca3152, has requested to be last but since he originally was first, he has been reserved the right to cut in line wherever and whenever he wants.

Top Bottom