What's new

Participation PIF - The Unobtainium Polsilver Super Stainless

Late report for Saturday morning's shave.

I was puppysitting for a buddy this past weekend. I brought along my travel kit, which contains the following:
(1) Lord L5 razor,
(2) Cremo shave stick,
(3) Crystal alum block (marketed as a deodorant stick), and
(4) Dove Men's+ Care Aftershave balm

I tossed in the Polisilver blade I used for my last shave in my travel razor case (a Spiderman puzzle tin fitted with a sponge and a polished steel mirror). I also borrowed some of my buddy's Pinaud Clubman aftershave splash. (Shhhh! Don't tell him I used his splash! 😁)

After another cold shower, I wet my face and rubbed the Cremo shave stick over the wet surface. I guess I applied too much Cremo because instead of being slick, there was some tackiness. I think this also affected my shave, as it took me 3 passes (WTG, ATG, and ATG) with touch up buffing to achieve a shave that was just a hair away from a BBS. From past experience, I know the L5 can produce a BBS shave with two passes and touchup.

Also, because of the extra ATG pass, my face felt a little more raw. I also felt more sting with both the alum block and the aftershave splash. Fortunately, though, I did not nick myself this time.

All in all, I'd give this past shave a 92.5 out of 100.

I'm starting to think maybe testing the Polisilver in the summer heat was a bad idea for me. Or at least it was a bad idea to test out new blades before I dialed in my cold water shaving routine.

Attachments

• 93071BA2-1921-472A-B5FC-AE896D0A200F.jpeg
    93071BA2-1921-472A-B5FC-AE896D0A200F.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 2
For those of you that just couldn't wait for my report:

Oh My My My!!! That shave was my first use of a Schick Krona. UNBELIEVABLE. No kiddin'. EASILY the best shave I have ever received from a TTO razor. EASILY. I obtained (stole) it from @Old School TSD quite a long time ago, along with my first Old Type. Old Type I only used during Shart Week (giggle), so that is not a fair test. I'll try to break that Old Type out again during Arko August, with a GSB?

Anyway, speaking of a GSB: this blade is EVERY BIT the equal of the second shave on a GSB. Awesome blade.

I've got 57? or so shaves on a GSB, and it's last shave may have been it's last; it was kinda a tiny bit ruff. But I could see this here blade from our man in Israel, and Humphrey Bogart lasting over a hundred. UNBELIEVABLY smooth shave.

I used the soap and mug (with CUSTOM MADE LID doggone!) from my friend @Tanuki and the experimental brush that hasn't been rinsed in I forget how long that my even older friend @BudgetShaverGuy Thank you @Space_Cadet and @Grundi for keeping me out of trouble with the War Department!
I paid a hefty sum, but stole this lot with an executive, 2 diplomats, president, big boy, goodwill, French and British aristocrats...hmu if your in need lol!
20210719_183428.jpg
20210719_180105.jpg
20210719_181012.jpg

20210718_191322-01-01.jpeg
SOTD #184/2021

20-07-2021

Preshave: frigid tap water, PAA The Cube 2.0
Brush: Razorock Big Bruce
Soap: Eleven ~ Orange
Razor: Mühle R41 GS
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (vintage)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill AS/ witch hazel.

Survived Shark Week without further wounds. So today's shave finally was dedicated to the vintage Polsilver Stainless. 2 days worth of growth called for an efficient razor. The R41 is a excellent candidate to check the sharpness of an - to me - unknown blade. The R41 will let you know if a blade is dull. This didn't happen today. The Polsilver did an excellent job in terms of both smoothness and sharpness, no complaints from my end.

Overall, a very nice first outing, I hope the blade will retain its sharpness for a bunch of shaves... I like it thus far.

Happy shaves, y'all!

Last edited:
Shave #1
3 days growth

Blade: Polsilver Stainless
Pre: Warm shower with Yardley activated charcoal bath soap
Razor: Game Changer .68OC
Soap: Captain's Choice Bay Rum soap
Brush: Stirling Pro Handle Synthetic
After: Captain's Choice Nor'ester splash

This is a late review of Sunday morning's shave. It's been a extremely busy two days. I also had the glue dots on the edge, but left them in place. The blades weren't particularly smooth, but not rough either--maybe the effect of the glue? My first impression is that they are good blades, but not as smooth as the previous vintage Astra SS and potentially better than the Shark SS I tossed.

3 full passes with one nick. The nick was my fault for doing something I knew I shouldn't do, but wanted to try anyway. No feedback from the Alum on the rest of the face. Not quite in BBS territory. I expect better results today.

Razor Winning Razor by WSC
Blade Unobtainium Polsilver Stainless (1)
Brush PAA Peregrino
Soap Seaforth! Heather
AS Seaforth! Heather
EdT Seaforth! Heather

Rating 9/10 BBS
First shave with this razor and this blade. Overall it was an excellent shave. Blade feel due to the design of this razor was minimal but it was there. This blade felt slightly rough like many blades do to me on the first shave. I expect it to smooth out some over the next shaves. I had 3 or 4 weepers, most were stopped by cold water but one bump that was sliced needed the alum block. The blade felt sharp and it cut very well. The razor did not slide along my skin very well. There is a lot of surface contact between the razor face and my face. The machined finish seems to cause a lot of drag, more than I have ever felt with a razor, and it bothered me more than I thought it would. I paid $39 for a stainless steel CNC machined razor so expecting a polished finish would be unreasonable. I do have a tube of Flitz polish that will eventually be used to see if I can improve this razor's glide abilities.

Winning Heather.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Razor Winning Razor by WSC
Blade Unobtainium Polsilver Stainless (1)
Brush PAA Peregrino
Soap Seaforth! Heather
AS Seaforth! Heather
EdT Seaforth! Heather

Rating 9/10 BBS
First shave with this razor and this blade. Overall it was an excellent shave. Blade feel due to the design of this razor was minimal but it was there. This blade felt slightly rough like many blades do to me on the first shave. I expect it to smooth out some over the next shaves. I had 3 or 4 weepers, most were stopped by cold water but one bump that was sliced needed the alum block. The blade felt sharp and it cut very well. The razor did not slide along my skin very well. There is a lot of surface contact between the razor face and my face. The machined finish seems to cause a lot of drag, more than I have ever felt with a razor, and it bothered me more than I thought it would. I paid $39 for a stainless steel CNC machined razor so expecting a polished finish would be unreasonable. I do have a tube of Flitz polish that will eventually be used to see if I can improve this razor's glide abilities.

View attachment 1299503
How do you LOVE that Heather my friend? Awesome stuff.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Blade 1, shave 2

Today’s shave started out amazingly well. Pass 1 WTG was a smooth as silk. Took off a good bit of hair. But pass 2 XTG was a tugging mess. Especially on the neck. Pass 3 ATG was more tugging in the neck. Overall result was a decent DFS with a little neck irritation. If this weren’t a participation PIF, I would toss the blade now. But there are two factors that will allow this blade another shot. First. I want to keep it going for the sake of the ongoing event. Second, the razor was a Wolfman WR1 OC .80. The regular Polsilver and Wizamet blades are not really a great fit in any of my Wolfman razors. These are the only razors where these blades don’t excel. Surprising as it is, the fact remains that I’ve had issues with Polsilver and Wolfman. So this blade gets another shot in 48 hours. I will probably switch from the high efficiency of the last two shaves, to something a little more in the mild to medium side of thing. Maybe an H&S N075, or a Tech.

On another note, it dawned on me that I, too, had ordered a 100 pack of vintage Polsilver blades from shaving.ie a few years ago. I used one blade with mediocre results. Put the package away and didn’t give it much thought until now. I dug out that package this morning, and sure enough, they are the same blades. Oh well. My thoughts are that possibly those have the same issue with the glue dots, and maybe I didn’t notice, and that’s why the blade was so poor. For this PIF blade, I have been corking it before each shave, which pushes the glue back away from the edge.

I will look forward to shave 3 with this blade. Stay smooth!

A0D8068F-F7CA-4CFE-B6F3-D923897AB5EA.jpeg

F5D957AC-F746-41AA-9493-C0F52DE4E697.jpeg

Pre: Proraso blue
Brush: AP Shave Co cashmere
Lather: Officina Artigiana Stay Trad
Blade: PIF POL (2)
Razor: Heritage Gibbs replica
Blade 1 Shave 2
Switched it up for shave 2 to the Gibbs replica from Heritage and the king of the citrus soaps Stay Traditional. Great lather and scent.
Shave 2 was even smoother than the first. BBS after three passes and touch ups. This blade might have some legs. We shall see

Shave #2
2 days growth

Blade: Polsilver Stainless
Pre: Warm shower with Yardley activated charcoal bath soap
Razor: SLOC
Soap: Proraso red cream
Brush: Stirling Pro Handle Synthetic
After: Aqua Velva Ice Sport

A much better shave. I've been using the captain's bay rum exclusively for a while, but decided to switch back to an old favorite---Proraso red. The SLOC provided a smoother shave on the blade's second use. 3 full passes and I'm almost BBS. There was no feedback from the alum or aftershave. A smooth operator indeed. I'm going to go a little more aggressive I think on the next shave.

Shave #2 in Gillette SS 1960 F1

I just started a new job so I didn't have much time, but still got a good shave in 1 pass plus some buffing. I couldn't log my entry until lunch time, but my face is still relatively smooth after 7 hrs.

I will take this blade with me to Anchorage for a week starting Thursday, and alternate it with the best blade I've used so far, the relatively-mild LOI titanium.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I must admit, I didn't even read your post.

I was ALL done at the reference to "shart week!"

In a VERY non-typical reaction for me, I giggled like I always do when I type out "Fatboy"....

And have decided that I am going to copyright "Shart Week" and start a thread involving Shark Blades and the werstest other equipment that people have in their possession!

Who is with me, and who has enough courage to actually start the thread, as I am much too BUSY (okay, lazy) to do so.
Am I the ONLY one on here that makes @fast shaver sad? Nah, I'm thinking @Owen Bawn must have a time or two, lol!

Top Bottom