What's new

Rank These Blades in Sharpness

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Not much help, mate, but of the two I have used:

Astra SP - plenty sharp for me to get a two-pass DFS in every razor I own (PPI version)
Derby Premium - roughly equivalent to using the wrong side of a Gem blade

Good luck!

Not much help, mate, but of the two I have used:

Astra SP - plenty sharp for me to get a two-pass DFS in every razor I own (PPI version)
Derby Premium - roughly equivalent to using the wrong side of a Gem blade

Good luck!
That's bad news about the Derby Premium. I wanted to like that one.

I have read far more positive than negative reviews about the Derby Premium blades and I personally really like them.
I recently tried the ASCO and it was just too dull for me. @Pinto90 thought the Derby Premium was below the ASCO, so it's a negative data point. I am discovering that I prefer the feel of sharper blades and the quality of my shaves last longer too.

I was given about 4 tucks of Derby Premium and I like the attractive black plastic tucks.

I recently tried the ASCO and it was just too dull for me. @Pinto90 thought the Derby Premium was below the ASCO, so it's a negative data point. I am discovering that I prefer the feel of sharper blades and the quality of my shaves last longer too.

I was given about 4 tucks of Derby Premium and I like the attractive black plastic tucks.
Well as we all know, there is nothing quite like YMMV when it comes to DE blades.

In my experience I find Asco Stainless sharper than Derby Premium and also more enjoyable for me.
That said I am not saying that Derby Premium are bad far from it.
By the way I forgot to mention a blade that in my opinion fits in the top two or three as sharpness and sharpness, in fact maybe even sharper than the Astra SP is the very sharp Bic Chrome Platinum.

I didn't mention it because I don't consider it,I don't like Bic at all but I have to admit I haven't tried the Bic Astor Stainless of which I read a lot of positive praise.
I always say that Bic should only produce lighters and ballpoint pens. :biggrin1::laugh: Of course, this is just my idea.

Well as we all know, there is nothing quite like YMMV when it comes to DE blades.
Besides always confirming YMMV it is a very strange world.
The Bic Chrome Platinum blades that I detest I can find in all stores and tobacco stores while for example the Shap Stainless ,which I am enjoying even though it is not my favorite, is practically and absolutely unobtainable.

Last edited:
That's always true at the end, agreed. I do tend to believe you can gather profile information and preferences from members you deem similar to you and get a level of recommended products might fit you. No different than Amazon or Google recommendations for example.

I've only used three of these (so far), so here's my highly subjective sharpness ranking of those:

Dorco ST300/ST301
Astra SP (Russian)
Shark Super Chrome

I've got a few of the other ones in my variety pack that I'm working through.

I had some early 2010s Astra SPs when I first started DE shaving that were sharper, but when I got another box in 2018 they weren't nearly as sharp or smooth. PPI changed something that made them less appealing.

Gillette learned long ago that people can not tell the differences in blade sharpness. They can only tell if the blade tugs or not. This lead Gillette down the path of developing different blade coatings. To stop tugging and to smooth out the feel of the shave.

From the linked article
1) Carbon steel Blue Blades are definitely worse shaving than carbon steel Super Blue blades.
2) Un-PTFE coated stainless steel blades are definitely worse shaving than carbon steel Super Blue blades.
3) PTFE coated stainless steel blades without a hardening alloy have no longevity benefit over carbon steel blades.
4) The absolute best blade for shaving performance and longevity is made with a stainless steel blank with noble metal/denser metal alloy edge that is then coated with PTFE.
5) All the talk about needing super sharp blades is fiction (a PTFE coating is superior to extra sharpness and sharp pointy edges wear down quicker.)
6) Prep and moisturize your darn face properly!!!!!
7) Yes, Tungsten is great to alloy with and is a great dense metal (70% denser than lead), but really, why pay so much for the Personna 74 Tungsten Plus? It is not worth $6 per blade for some extra longevity with no better shaving performance than the cheaper chromium. And, if the Personna 74 Tungsten (no Plus) has no PTFE coating, it is no good! Certainly don't pay so much for the non-plus version!

I had some early 2010s Astra SPs when I first started DE shaving that were sharper, but when I got another box in 2018 they weren't nearly as sharp or smooth. PPI changed something that made them less appealing.
I, on the other hand, have 2018 Astra SPs with the white-colored casing without the laser-etched lettering, and they seem definitely sharper than the latest Russian Astra SP productions.

I, on the other hand, have 2018 Astra SPs with the white-colored casing without the laser-etched lettering, and they seem definitely sharper than the latest Russian Astra SP productions.

Those are the 2018 Astras I have, too. Plain white wrappers and without the laser-etched logo. The 2012-ish ones I had before that were much better. I actually thought the 2018s were bootlegs for a while because of the reduced quality. I've changed my mind on that because everything else about them checks out. Quite a shame, because I loved that original box of Astras I had.

I have a tuck or two of newer Russian Astras, and I'll have to give those a try for comparison. It's mostly academic for me at this point, as the Nacet is now my go-to Gillette blade.

Top Bottom