What's new

Participation PIF - The Unobtainium Polsilver Super Stainless

Blade: Polsilver Stainless (8)
Brush: Simpson’s Chubby 2, 2 Band Silvertip
Soap: Ethos Cologne
Razor:
Wolfman WR2 SB 1.35, w/ Timeless Ti Crown 👑 Handle
Post Shave: Ethos Unscented skin food, 4711

Blade is still going strong on to shave #9 with same blade tomorrow 0E791D43-6F71-496A-BFB2-D9BAD1A1BCBE.jpeg15A6331A-3C59-426E-8856-03E3DDE6B5C2.jpeg81BC5A27-9F21-4879-B586-4B07BB5BA27C.jpegECCC0CF9-ED50-4DC5-AC03-B1B3B8206DCC.jpeg8D573468-AF2B-4553-B2E8-718725BA1F23.jpegE1AF844C-36F5-4747-B6D1-5EB68D58A42F.jpeg

IMG_20210718_122725774.jpg

I am in love with Wholly Kaw. 1776 and King of Oud are my two July acquisitions, and they are my very favorite soaps. What can I say except to repeat Phil Rizzuto, "Holy Cow!"

As I have said before, I do not know why I ever use any other razor than the Henson. I enjoyed a supremely wonderful face and head shave tonight with the Henson Al13 medium using King of Oud. Tonight was different though.

The Henson website states that the Al13 was engineered specifically to work best with an Astra SP blade. Since I obtained my Henson in November 2020, like the responsible diligent rule following first born that I am, I have only ever used an Astra SP in the Henson. Tonight for the first time I shaved with the Henson using something other than the Astra SP.

The Polsilver blade, not surprisingly, delivered a comfortable, efficient BBS shave in only 2 passes plus touch-ups. I will sleep well tonight as I lay my silky smooth head on my cool cotton pillow. A very nice way to start the week.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I just returned from a camping trip with 4 days growth. My vintage Polsilvers were waiting for me. Gave one a shot.

Shave 1: Charcoal preshave soap, B&M Dickens, Leo Frilot Custom Timberwolf, CG Stinger Level 2, Lucky Tiger

First, I inspected the blade after opening. There was definitely glue dot schmutz extending down to the blades edge. So thanks to whoever pointed that out. I corked the blade and it appeared to clear up the glue from the edge.

The shave was smooth and drama free. However the results were not as good as a modern Polsilver/Wizamet, nor as close as a vintage Wizamet. Still a solid DFS.

I am looking forward to seeing how this blade progresses.

C2BF54AF-649E-4EF9-9810-3A8568CCB2CB.jpeg

Polsilver Super Stainless. Blade 1 Edge 1 Shave 2. Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic); Captain's Choice Venture soap; YaQi Sagrada Familia 24mm tuxedo.

No run, no shower, but still a lovely shave this morning. Despite a lighter touch this morning there was still one tiny weeper on my neckline, but there was no alum feedback so I'm definitely doing something right.

Another superb finish, a shame I have to wait another 48 hours to my next shave!

Polsilver Stainless Blade #1 Shave #1
Tools: Chieftain razor, Sheep Soap & Plissoft Brush
Got a smooth & close three pass shave this A.M.
This blade is the smoothest blade I ever tried & the sharpest.
Why can't modern manufacturers duplicate this blade.?
No nicks or irritation noted. :thumbup1:

Second blade, second week. I switched it up and used my Wolfman WR1 .86 OC. Soap was Grooming Dept. Maleki followed by Clubman Special Reserve splash. I used my Shavemac Beagle (I can’t put the thing down) as well:
6071E15C-57CB-404E-BC14-BCB51435DCC8.jpeg

Shave was a little rough, but very close. After shaving, I noticed the glue bumps reached to one of the edges that some others have pointed out, so that may have accounted for some of the roughness—I’ll be sure to clean them off tomorrow. This WR1 is fairly aggressive, but I regularly use Feathers in it, so I’m no stranger to using sharp blades in it.

With Shark Week over my plan was to use one of these blades today. However, when I got out of the shower I searched my bathroom drawer where I keep my blades and couldn't find them anywhere so I used a PIR. I just searched my desk in my office and I found them under some papers. My Winning Razor arrived this weekend and I just loaded it up with a Polsilver Stainless so tomorrow I can have a first shave with a new razor and a new blade. Better late than never right?

The Polsilver Stainless Unobtainium blade did not disappoint. (5) shaves this week, 24-26-48 hour shaves. RR .84SB, MWF, face lather, alum, Proraso/Stirling balm. No problems, weepers, drama with any shave, #1 left a little irritation, gone in 15 min. Shaves #2 thru 4 excellent, comfortable shaves, #5 not quite as close, little extra buffing, maybe try (1) more with this blade. Overall an excellent blade, if still available would have a chance to replace my top blade so far, Kai. Thanks very much for the opportunity to test.

With Shark Week finally over, I loaded one of these in my Carbon Cx-316L and almost had to double check to make sure I actually put the blade in. After a week of tugging, not having any blade resistance almost seemed unnatural. Alas, I'm still learning this razor, so there were a few weepers, but no irritation and a 2.5 pass BBS shave.

Razor: Carbon Cx-316L
Blade: Vintage Polsilver Stainless (1)
Brush: unknown best badger
Soap: PAA Diver Down
AS: Pinaud VIBR
Balm: Nivea Sensitive Cool

IMG_8775.jpg

Razor: Blackland Blackbird Ti
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: AKA Brushworx Hybrid w/ SHD 2 band
Soap & Splash: B&M Reserve Waves

Wasn't meshing well with the Wolfman as some other blades I have used in it. Was smooth as glass but a little sharp as I seemed to end up with weepers on every shave. Moved to the Blackbird for a couple shaves and didn't get any weepers but it was not as smooth as in the Wolfman. A little tuggy and rough feeling. These are my 2 go to razors so I dont think Polsilvers are the blade for me. So far Rapira Platinum Lux have been impossible to beat. I seem to remember feeling the same about the blue polsiver and the wizamets plenty sharp but not the smoothest blade.

Not denying it was an effective shave and got plenty close, just for me and these 2 razors there are better options.

High above the beach, in a chaise lounge beside an endless pool with a "W" painted on the bottom, listening to soft tropical music, sipping my (virgin) pina colada, I think I hear some faint sounds of screaming shark victims...but everything up here in Wizamet gardens is just smooth.
0719210630_HDR.jpg

Unobtainium Polsilver Stainless Blade #1 - Shave #1

Equipment:
Merkur 20C, Polsilver Stainless (1), CTS Mr Pepper, GrayDog GreyWolf Brush

The Shave: After swimming with the Sharks for a week, first using a Shark Super Stainless, then a Shark Chrome...WOW...what a step UP in shave experience!! This blade is reminding me of the Elios Inoxidable Blade!! Smooth yet sharp from the get-go, had a wonderful DFS+ shave, with a couple of weepers that I normally get when using a sharp blade.

Glob Dots: Yup, my blade had the globs of glue that went all the way to the edge, too. I...nervously...tried to do what @Demolition did, scrape the blade with the fingernail, but wasn't able to get all the glob off the blade. What remained did not interfere with the shave.

Polsilver Stainless Shave #1

Wolfman WR1 razor
Polish Polsilver blade (1)
Shavemac Beagle 2-band badger (fan)
Fine green vetiver soap
Swiss Pitralon splash

Rating: 9.5/10.

Great contrast to the Shark SC: much sharper, just had to be careful as this puppy is SHARP!
:a29: :a29:

Sorry I took so long to jump in on the participation but I had just loaded a Feather in my H2 Slim when the envelope arrived and not being one to trash a blade before it's time, today was the day.

Here's the setup. The Slim was dialed up to "9" with the Feather so that's where I left it allowing for a back-to-back comparison right away. Prep was a hot water face wash, soap was Stirling Sharp Dressed Man which was whipped into a lather by a Stirling synthetic brush in one of The Captain's heavy copper bowls.

My first impression was the 1st pass with the Polsilver felt like the last pass with the Feather, and there was blood. However, that's the beauty of an adustable. For the next pass, I dialed the Slim down to "7" and things got better in that things got smoother and the bloodletting stopped. No further changes were made for the last pass or touch ups.

So, initially my impression is that they are neither as sharp nor as smooth as an Astra SP or Feather. They feel very much like the newer Gillette Platinums or KCGs neither of which is bad, just a different face-feel. Of course, just like everything else in the wet-shaving world, YMMV.

The adventure continues, I'll be back in two days...

Last edited:
proxy.php

Fourth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm Fan-shaped Tuxedo
Soap: Vitos Classic Eucalyptus and Lanolin

Fantastic performances from all aspects of today's shave!

The FOCS/Polsilver Stainless is still providing extremely smooth, comfortable shaves. All three of my usual passes were quick and effortless; a true "autopilot" shave.

I am also very impressed by the closeness that this blade can achieve. As with previous uses, I did not have to buff, at all.

It's incredibly satisfying to get such a fine shave with such little effort. :thumbup1:

Meanwhile, the Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Fan/Vitos Classic pairing was outstanding. Vitos is one of the richest and slickest creams on the market and the Sagrada churns out the highest-quality lather like nobody's business. A winning combination in my book.

795D9498-F3C7-4B5C-9660-61F4974CC4A9.jpeg

Now that shart week is over it’s time to jump right into this generous participation PIF.
Pre: Proraso blue
Brush: PAA StarCraft
Lather: PAA CaD
Blade: Polsilver (freshie)

First impression was wow, this thing is smooth. Got a couple of small weepers on my upper lip, otherwise a nice shave. I’m looking forward to seeing if this blade smooths out. I doubt I’ll stick with one blade as long as @Demolition though. 🍻
(I did have some glue residue near the blade edge but was able to wipe it off with my finger)

First shave with Wizamet Polsilver SS (PIFed blade)

Razor: NDC Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Polsilver SS
Brush: Omega 10098
Soap : Proraso Green (Tub)

I managed a solid DFS with the above gear, but it wasn't as comfortable as I expected. THe blade seemed harsh and rough during the shave. Afterwards though, there was no reaction from the alum or the astringent WH, and no post shave irritation of any sort.

After today's postal delivery, this Participation PIF turned into every man's dream - a three way.

20210719_151915.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
View attachment 1299195
Now that shart week is over it’s time to jump right into this generous participation PIF.
Pre: Proraso blue
Brush: PAA StarCraft
Lather: PAA CaD
Blade: Polsilver (freshie)

First impression was wow, this thing is smooth. Got a couple of small weepers on my upper lip, otherwise a nice shave. I’m looking forward to seeing if this blade smooths out. I doubt I’ll stick with one blade as long as @Demolition though. 🍻
(I did have some glue residue near the blade edge but was able to wipe it off with my finger)
I must admit, I didn't even read your post.

I was ALL done at the reference to "shart week!"

In a VERY non-typical reaction for me, I giggled like I always do when I type out "Fatboy"....

And have decided that I am going to copyright "Shart Week" and start a thread involving Shark Blades and the werstest other equipment that people have in their possession!

Who is with me, and who has enough courage to actually start the thread, as I am much too BUSY (okay, lazy) to do so.

Top Bottom