There is still postal service in the land of never-ending winter,
20220413_152636.jpg

View attachment 1439221
First shave with the Personna-X.

Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Cream: Proraso green
Brush: Cheap no-name off of Amazon
Aftershave: AV Ice Blue

Very comfortable shave. I got a little careless at one point, realized it, and tuned back into what I was doing but still never a nick or weeper. Not the sharpest ever, but certainly not dull. Quite smooth for a first shave. Looking forward to the second.
The Brush looks like a Clubman Pinaud. The one I have works very well for me at lathering. :thumbup1:

Blades arrived in the ‘zoo today. Irrationally excited to try the carbon Treet and really interested in the Sputnik as well. And of course, the blades that look like props from the X Files set. Still haven’t found my groove with Personna blades; maybe this is the time!
12D3A875-E08C-4001-849A-B1C17C494E8F.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If you are receiving your blades late have you considered checking to see how clean shaven your postman is?
Ya know...... That dude is ALMOST as incredibly handsome as I am since ol' @Grundi has been sending me those dull blades! Well I'll be doggone!

All this time I was blaming Grundi and @fast shaver and they were BOTH innocent!

Last edited:

Very Mysteree-X Shave 2​

Razor: Yates 921M/H
Blade: Personna X-series
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia synthetic
Soap: Stirling Smoky Grapefruit

First shave in the Gillette Slim felt a bit tuggy and rough. I do not use the Slim very often, but the tugging nature seemed out of character for the generally smooth Slim.

Tonight I chose my favorite razor to allow the Personna X to perform at its best advantage. The blade performed better than in the Slim, but lacked efficiency I get from other blades. I can generally achieve a BBS shave in two passes plus touch ups. Tonight I struggled with removing the hair on the neck, and required many extra strokes to remove hair on the back fringe of my head.

IMG_20220413_194959712.jpg

Well, not what I expected. Same set-up as I use every other day. The X blade checked all of the bad boxes for me. Tuggy, too many passes, too much buffing, very un-comfortable. Did get to a DFS but way to much effort. After the 1st pass took the blade out and turned over, just in case, no difference. Maybe a bad blade, will try blade #2 in a couple days.

Great responses Gents, amusing and informative!

I'm expecting my 'X' blades any day now, providing the Atlantic razor mail convoys can fight their through to old Blighty despite those pesky U-Boat packs.

However I am using an Ever Ready Improved 1912 for my first ever SE shave today or Friday, so I am cultivating a good crop of whiskers. Think of me as I use this lovely steampunk device :letterk1:
IMG_20220402_214736586.jpg

I shall be posting a full report of my experiences with a first SE shave for the amusement of colleagues.

I will report the first impressions of the Personna 'X' as soon as possible after. I have a packed agenda for your shaving amusement, including a first encounter with the notorious 'Nasty Otto'.

Last edited:
I will need more shaves with the X Blade to come to a conclusion. @Demolition will most likely get 40 shaves from this blade.:w00t:
Oh no. Only 40? So you assume that the blade is badly suited for him? 😉

What? Only 40 shaves?! You guys know I don't even bother with a blade unless I can get 50 shaves out of it. Pfft! 🤨

With any luck, @Grundi is sending more of those nearly-indestructible Kai blades instead! 😁

Personna X Blade #1 Shave #2
Tools: Yaqi Cobbed Razor, Vito's Tobacco Cream Soap & Mother Load Brush.
Got a decent shave this A.M. It was close to a DFS.
The blade tugged some but not real bad.
I will do another shave for the team Tomorrow. :thumbup1:
The Vito's Tobacco was super slick & protective during the shave.

Mysteree-X Blade #1 - Shave #2

TL;DR:
similar to shave #1, sharp but not awesomely smooth, no weepers or irritation

Equipment: Fatip Piccolo (FCCS), Mysteree-X Blade (2), PdP B&T Soap

The Shave: the 2nd shave was similar to the 1st shave. The Mysteree-X Blade feels solidly middle tier, similar to Personna Reds. The FCCS does a good job letting the Blade do its job, and this blade is sharp enough (I'd like it to be a bit smoother). PdP B&T provided a nice lather base to work from, and the results were a DFS. There was no weepers or irritation, no wailing or gnashing of teeth. This blade is far from done, so I'll keep pushing it.

Shave #2 with Mysteree X blade

Same software as yesterday: Williams SC/Plissoft brush/Skinbracer

Hardware: Mysteree X blade/Weber DLC razor

Better today. The Weber razor is, to me, a great razor and can make any blade behave better than some of my other razors. Today's results were pretty smooth and a bit more effective than yesterday. No tugging/pulling, just a decent shave. Stay tuned for Day 3 with this blade

Mysteree-X Blade #1 - Shave #2

Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable 4-4-3
Blade: Personna X-Series (2)
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Bowl: Captain’s Choice copper
Soap: B&M 42
Witch Hazel
Balm: Proraso White
Aftershave: English Leather & Citrus Musk

This blade is mid sharpness and a bit of tug. It’s not objectionable but I’m doubtful I would buy 100. This is only the second shave. As they loved to say at my former job, “More to come.”

Mysteree-X Blade #1 Shave #1
So, I thought a special blade deserved a special razor and selected the Gillette Hybrid Tech for this outing. Lathered up some Stirling Sharp Dressed Man with a Shavemac D01 Silvertip brush and went to town. My first thought was, "this is an amazingly smooth blade." However the feel after pass #1 was that little reduction occurred. I used a shallower angle with pass #2. That went much better for reduction, but still not the shave I expected. I would give this a very socially acceptable shave rating, but there's plenty of room for improvement. It was a very smooth shave which is what surprised me that not much was cut, usually when there's not a lot cut, there's a tug going on. Also, after reading the prior reviews I was expecting a much rougher feel. As I said, this was very smooth all the way.

Top Bottom