What's new

OCtober 2023 — Opening Our Hearts; and Combs; to Happy Razor Fun Time

lasta

Blade Biter
Last shave of OCtober!

I must say, this has been a challenge at the start, but once the OC refresher course finished, I'm back to getting great shaves!

To end this thematic month, I used my newest old razor:

NI Tuckaway, GSB (5), Semogue Mistura, TFS Red, Aqua Velva.

BBS

20231031_105442.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday: Senator / Wizamet

Today: Muhle R41 base, Yaqi Mellon cap, RR Super knurl handle - This cap increases blade exposed a lot and pushes the aggressiveness up to Timeless bronze 78 OC territory or beyond! A good close BBS shave but I wouldn't recommend the combo because its potentially hazardous. It didn't bite me, but I'm sure it has no forgiveness.
Wizamet
20231030_152607.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
IMG_8191.jpeg

OCtober final shave this morning. Still not the best of friends with Open Comb razors but I am getting there. I don’t mind this Merkur 25C but I do think that the combs for me are a little too pointy. Any I did have some fun this month. I might even be around for this next year.

OCtober 30 - the final Monday

Micromatic Open Comb / Gem PTFE (7)
Spike infinite OC
Old Spice stick / Ever-Ready vintage nylon & lucite
IMG_5681.jpeg

Modern miracle materials do not a wonderful brush make.
Excellent shave in spite of the brush.
IMG_5684.jpeg

It face-lathers a bit like being beaten with a rubber hose (I imagine).

Destined for a boar transplant.

Last edited:
Date31.10.2023
365 daily shaves
304/365
OCtober31/31
Tabactober31/31
Lasta’s Blade Stash06/32

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW RFBFeather (2)Omega Proraso
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Tabarko (tallow)Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)9/10 (Some red spots)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary - Second shave with a Feather. Also switched to a heavier handle. Best result I think, but slightly at the expense of comfort. Tomorrow is the start of NOCvember!

Thanks for OCtober Thom @thombrogan !! This was so much fun! My safety bars feel neglected, but I have had the opportunity to revisit some of my great OC razors. And other brothers have displayed quite a number I would like to add as well! (Working on excuses to use with the LOTH). See you all next year.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
OCtober

Last night’s stupendous shave
PAA el Fantasma
Lord Super Stainless (10)
Damp facecloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Beehive Titanium UHD 28mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: shea butter oil several hours earlier then Al’s new (old) lathering method
Lather: Wickham’s 1912 Club Cola bowl-loaded, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post shave warm shower
Post-shave: mentholated Equate moisturizer

Happy Halloween, e’erybody!

Last night’s shave and the lather was adjusted to meet expectations. Springier brush needing less water than floppier brush. An overtired shave was a slow shave was pretty good. Below jawline and neck actually closer than face. Probably a fresh blade on Halloween’s shave.

You’re very welcome, @Guido75 ! Looking forward to joining NOCvember!

Gillette Old Type 1918 Pocket Edition

20231030_084641.jpeg

All good things come to an end, they say... I finished this month with a lovely shave with my 1918 Gillette Old Type (which I ever so rarely break out as this razor is forseseen to become a heierloom for my son, he's born in 2018 😉).

Thank you @thombrogan for hosting this year's event and thanks to everyone who participated... stunning razors galore 🤩

Cheers!

Last edited:
Evening shave - 10/30/23
Razor: RazoRock Tech II
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India) (2)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: Maggard Timberwolf 18mm
Aftershave: Skin Bracer
Rating: 9.5/10, DFS+
Very nice smooth shave. Super comfortable with no issues. Had a few areas that had a little bit of stubble left, but a very solid shave.

Last time I have to think about OC razors this time around. Still impressed I was able to use OCs for 3 weeks straight. that is a first for me.

OCtober 2023

Cream: Barbasol 1919
Razor/Blade:
Face/Neck/Head () - Frankenrazor Quantum Meta Beta w/ Personna Lab Blue
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - DIY Snake Bite
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive

The Frankenrazor Meta-4 Brass Top Cap, Quantum Beta baseplate, and 3.25" PAA flair brass tip
full

💯/💯

Franken Halloween Treat. The Meta-4 alone is a great razor but I've found a few other razors it can go on and create a smooth super comfy shave. If you really like blade feel this combo today would not be for you. I barely felt the blade but it was pretty darn efficient still. I felt the alum and snake bite more today then I did yesterday with the ATT.

(Monday OCtober 30) OCtober 2023 SOTD
SOTD-BBOCOW-P_2023-10-30.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band 20/44
Soap: LEA Classic
Razor: Blackbird OC on custom olive wood handle
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (10)
ASL: LEA Classic

An excellent shave. :biggrin:

My Grail Razor never fails to give me a great shave, and the rest of the team makes it even better. :w00t:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Well, appears I missed reporting the 26th & 27th (Thurs & Fri), so:

OCtober 26th:

Muhle R41/Voskhod (New)
Stirling Iced Coffee/30mm Tuxedo
Mentholated Witch Hazel (Lightly Scented)
Old Spice Aftershave (Homebrew)
Avon Fire Spice Balm
Old Spice Cologne

Wonderfully close 2-Pass BBS with just a couple of pin sized weepers on the mustache area, which stopped with the witch hazel.

OCtober 27th:

Muhle R41/Voskhod (2nd)
Stirling Iced Coffee/30mm Tuxedo
Mentholated Witch Hazel (Lightly Scented)
Old Spice Aftershave (Homebrew)
Avon Fire Spice Balm
Old Spice Cologne

Another wonderfully close 2-Pass BBS before heading out the door for an early appointment.

OCtober 31st: Today - Last OCtober Shave

Muhle R41/Voskhod (3rd)
Stirling Green/30mm Tuxedo
Stirling Green Cologne
Stirling Green Balm
Polo Green Cologne/EDT

Great 2-Pass BBS Shave, awesome scent of Polo Green, which somehow also scented the dog.... possibly rubbing his head, according to my wife.

Final tally 21 of 22 shaves as OC for OCtober. - I used my birth quarter Slim for my birthday shave.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD:
Razor: Lupo 95 OC
Blade: Lord Cool (2)
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Cream: Proraso Green
Brush: Omega Evo 2.0
Aftershave: Proraso Green
rsz_051_01.jpg

This was another excellent OCtober. I finished the month out with my grail razor. Life is good in my shave world. I hope to see you all next OCtober. Thank you, Thom! You're my hero, as always. :w00t:

Cheers!
Rave

Top Bottom