What's new

NOCvember 2022 - Let’s put our safety bars on for Non Open Comb November

Status
Not open for further replies.
Along with the rest of the participants, Guido, you have my thank you-s for a wonderful and engaging new yearly thread.

I ran short of time yesterday so today’s Blutt BR-1 shave was for you. Sorry I didn’t get it completed by the deadline.
I read your report - it was an excellent shave as far as I could tell! So thank you for the honor Kim!

And the thread is still open for posting, so...just saying...:cuppa::001_rolle

Guido.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I read your report - it was an excellent shave as far as I could tell! So thank you for the honor Kim!

And the thread is still open for posting, so...just saying...:cuppa::001_rolle

Guido.
OK... I'm a day late and several dollars short (inflation) but today's shave was in honor of the last day of Non Open Comb November. I had fully intended, as I mentioned, to get this last shave in last night. I've thoroughly enjoyed Guido's new-this-year-now-on-the-yearly-calendar thread. It's been fun as well as educational.

I had another brilliant shave with my Blutt BR-1 with the Timeless Ti Crown handle this morning. The Blutt is fairly new to me and I had a pretty lackluster shave Saturday morning before we headed down 2.5 hours south of us to our son's wife's family to celebrate Thanksgiving. It was the third shave with a Wizamet Super Iridium. It wasn't smooth, comfortable or close. I noticed the shave only lasted around 6 hours or so instead of the 12 hours I've been getting. I'm at 8 hours now from today's shave and my face is as smooth as it was immediately after it was completed. Whew..... I was worried confirmation bias was telling me the Blutt was better than it is... but it was just a dull blade. As someone recently said to me (I wish I could remember who said it.. but if they read this thread and remember their post, please let me know): we spend all this money on high end razors and the shave ends up coming down to something that costs pennies, i.e., the razor blade (I'm paraphrasing). It might have been @Fiddler, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Anyway, the Blutt performed flawlessly and I had a comfortable, smooth and close shave, just like I expected. I opened a new PAA Tube 2.0 pre-shave today.... but didn't throw out the bit left in the last one. There is around 1/2" left inside the little plastic thingie that allows it to be screwed up but had bottomed or topped out. I scraped that out into an empty soap tub and added some filtered water. I'm sure I'll get quite a few shaves from it after it softens up a bit. Don't worry... I didn't have any soap tubs I've used up myself.... I bought an extra empty one from Mystic Waters when I ordered their unscented soap puck a while back. <eg>

Bowl: Timeless blue "modest" shaving bowl
Brush: Zenith B33 boar with 506 Copper handle... first use... lovely feel
Soap: Canada Shaving Soap
Razor: the aforementioned Blutt BR-1 with a Timeless Ti Crown handle
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Post Shave: Metro Gel, Hyaluronic Acid, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream

Two pass shave, WTG and ATG with just a few touch-ups. I've developed a new routine of using my Claymore Evolution around my nose to take care of a few odd growing whiskers that grow so close to my nose and inside my nostrils. They are annoying and most of my other razors have the blade ends too far from the end of the razor to be effective in that area. With the AC format and the way the Claymore is engineered, the blade is very close to the ends of the top cap and safety bar.

The Blutt BR-1 was my first razor that is at the higher end of the "mild but effective" genre that I've used. That very first time I used it sticks in my memory as something new. I get that same feel with my other three top (at this point) razors: the Lambda Athena, the Rocnel Elite and the ATT X1 AC Slant.

I'm still in the process of getting all the razors in my new-but-not-yet-used queue tested and rated but it's going to take me well into next year to get the task completed. As I've said several times, shaving every other day makes this more of a challenge. Add to that... I just loving shaving with some of my razors and I don't want to make them jealous. <eg>

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
OK... I'm a day late and several dollars short (inflation) but today's shave was in honor of the last day of Non Open Comb November. I had fully intended, as I mentioned, to get this last shave in last night. I've thoroughly enjoyed Guido's new-this-year-now-on-the-yearly-calendar thread. It's been fun as well as educational.

I had another brilliant shave with my Blutt BR-1 with the Timeless Ti Crown handle this morning. The Blutt is fairly new to me and I had a pretty lackluster shave Saturday morning before we headed down 2.5 hours south of us to our son's wife's family to celebrate Thanksgiving. It was the third shave with a Wizamet Super Iridium. It wasn't smooth, comfortable or close. I noticed the shave only lasted around 6 hours or so instead of the 12 hours I've been getting. I'm at 8 hours now from today's shave and my face is as smooth as it was immediately after it was completed. Whew..... I was worried confirmation bias was telling me the Blutt was better than it is... but it was just a dull blade. As someone recently said to me (I wish I could remember who said it.. but if they read this thread and remember their post, please let me know): we spend all this money on high end razors and the shave ends up coming down to something that costs pennies, i.e., the razor blade (I'm paraphrasing). It might have been @Fiddler, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Anyway, the Blutt performed flawlessly and I had a comfortable, smooth and close shave, just like I expected. I opened a new PAA Tube 2.0 pre-shave today.... but didn't throw out the bit left in the last one. There is around 1/2" left inside the little plastic thingie that allows it to be screwed up but had bottomed or topped out. I scraped that out into an empty soap tub and added some filtered water. I'm sure I'll get quite a few shaves from it after it softens up a bit. Don't worry... I didn't have any soap tubs I've used up myself.... I bought an extra empty one from Mystic Waters when I ordered their unscented soap puck a while back. <eg>

Bowl: Timeless blue "modest" shaving bowl
Brush: Zenith B33 boar with 506 Copper handle... first use... lovely feel
Soap: Canada Shaving Soap
Razor: the aforementioned Blutt BR-1 with a Timeless Ti Crown handle
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Post Shave: Metro Gel, Hyaluronic Acid, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream

Two pass shave, WTG and ATG with just a few touch-ups. I've developed a new routine of using my Claymore Evolution around my nose to take care of a few odd growing whiskers that grow so close to my nose and inside my nostrils. They are annoying and most of my other razors have the blade ends too far from the end of the razor to be effective in that area. With the AC format and the way the Claymore is engineered, the blade is very close to the ends of the top cap and safety bar.

The Blutt BR-1 was my first razor that is at the higher end of the "mild but effective" genre that I've used. That very first time I used it sticks in my memory as something new. I get that same feel with my other three top (at this point) razors: the Lambda Athena, the Rocnel Elite and the ATT X1 AC Slant.

I'm still in the process of getting all the razors in my new-but-not-yet-used queue tested and rated but it's going to take me well into next year to get the task completed. As I've said several times, shaving every other day makes this more of a challenge. Add to that... I just loving shaving with some of my razors and I don't want to make them jealous. <eg>
Photo of yesterday's shave:

RE_Dec1stShave.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom