What's new

November 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Jack Goossen what you really need now (not next month) is a Ralf Aust straight razor.
hh-a.jpg

As I see it for now: GRUME seems to be not only a challenge to myself, but the challenge gets deeper because of other forum members, seeking to push you off balance. Exactly as it should be 😎
Nobody is pushing you unless you want to be pushed. Yes there is some fooling around and nagging but all in a good natured way. Tell us what you currently have and what you want to try out for this month.

For instance I focused on some obscure blades that I had or breaking in a new brush, work with some soap or a specific razor. Set yourself some minor goals on what you want to achieve during the Grume.

Nobody is pushing you unless you want to be pushed. Yes there is some fooling around and nagging but all in a good natured way. Tell us what you currently have and what you want to try out for this month.

For instance I focused on some obscure blades that I had or breaking in a new brush, work with some soap or a specific razor. Set yourself some minor goals on what you want to achieve during the Grume.
I think "the pushing off balance" is far from negative. Menlike jesting. A big plus for me. Keep in mind I enjoy being part of the fanatical part of my beloved football club and praise the forlorn tribal aspects of masculine nature.

As for my challenge: I'm still on the strict 4 weeks regime my tutors at B & B suggested to improve my technique. After this period of using the same razor and blade I will change something. Not sure what I will change and enjoying that question every day now 😸

As I see it for now: GRUME seems to be not only a challenge to myself, but the challenge gets deeper because of other forum members, seeking to push you off balance. Exactly as it should be 😎
It also stops many of us from actively browsing for and buying shaving gear. I will fall out of GRUME froom time to time with a great deal big brush or razor, but I no longer make small purchases (blades, soaps, etc) throughout the month.

So even if I fail, I am still saving $$$. 👍

@SharpieB Chubby 2 Two-Band. I don't recall seeing good choice of two band brushes until now.
I own over 50 brushes (over 20 Simpsons) and my Ch2 Silvertip is the best brush I own. Painfully expensive, but worth it IMO.

Give it time as it needs 6-8 shaves to open up and start releasing lather.

I bet you will love it.

P.S. This IS the first time in recent memory that CH2 Silvertips have been on the Simpson site. Mine was custom earlier in the year.

Out. I was dreaming about Simpson's 2 band brushes, tosing and turning in a cold sweat. The brush addiction diety occasionally demands a money offering, this time accepting GBP (ex-VAT) to be paid directly to the Isle of Man. I feel like my brush set up is now complete, so I'll sleep like a log tonight despite a thinner wallet.

Today's SOTD:
Thiers Issard 6/8 Feston spine, snakewood scales
Simpson's chubby 3 manchurian
MdC vetyver
SV aftershave
Well that was fast, so which brush did you get? Hope to see you try again in Dec.

Still in! Had the straight razor ready to go but ended up grabbing the Old Type. Fantastic 3 passer with Scotts Pine Sheep, my Simpson Special in pure, finished off with some Old Spice. The Old Type felt extra scary this time around haha. Luckily the Gillette Platinum pairs exceptionally well with it.

My dad sent me a text last night saying he was in need of a Stirling order and wanted me in on it to save on shipping. We haven't gone through with it yet but it surely will make me fail this month which is fine. Hey, this is my third GRUME in a row..and I can't disappoint the old man... :)

Top Bottom