What's new

November 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

D102369E-4997-4D1B-BD7B-B75349190653.jpeg
Still in - headshave today
at least some progress on the 500ml Vitos Tabacco…

Still in. This morning a complete normal shave.

FOCS with Voskhod teflon coated (5), last shave with this blade, left 2 horizontal red stripes on my cheeck.
Proraso red was and is my soap of the month.
Muhle Ritmo Badger brush to lather it all.
9.6/10 (full BBS, shame of the red stripes)

And... Thanks to failing technique I didn't buy anything during the rasoigoodfellas 25% discount. My wallet is thankfull for their failing website.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Still in.

For the past few months I have been having difficulty in determining my favourite 6/8 SR to shave with. It has been a toss up between my 1870's George Butler "Shakespeare" with ivory scales and my Revisor 6-0035 with Bocote timber scales. Over the past 6 days I have been alternating between the two (3 shaves each) to try and put this dilemma behind me. Each shave was identical in pre-shave, soap, brush and post shave blade maintenance.

IMG_20211106_080844.jpg
The winner, by a whisker or two, was the Revisor. With first two days, it was the Butler. Over the last four days, it was the Revisor. The difference was in performing the fool's pass.

Both SR's have now been given a polish with Renaissance wax and put away. Staring tomorrow, I will be trying a new 6/8 SR. More to come.

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Still in

I tried a one pass shave for the first time today. Surprisingly good. About 95% of the result for half the time. Looks the same but I can feel a few rough patches. I think I’ll be doing this again!

View attachment 1358160
I often do a one pass shave. With certain razors that I just know will shine, one pass is sufficient for my preferences. Strangely, lately I have been adding a second pass due to a few new soaps I’m really enjoying. Second pass is giving me a little more time with that soapy goodness.

Out. I was dreaming about Simpson's 2 band brushes, tosing and turning in a cold sweat. The brush addiction diety occasionally demands a money offering, this time accepting GBP (ex-VAT) to be paid directly to the Isle of Man. I feel like my brush set up is now complete, so I'll sleep like a log tonight despite a thinner wallet.

Today's SOTD:
Thiers Issard 6/8 Feston spine, snakewood scales
Simpson's chubby 3 manchurian
MdC vetyver
SV aftershave

Out. I was dreaming about Simpson's 2 band brushes, tosing and turning in a cold sweat. The brush addiction diety occasionally demands a money offering, this time accepting GBP (ex-VAT) to be paid directly to the Isle of Man. I feel like my brush set up is now complete, so I'll sleep like a log tonight despite a thinner wallet.

Today's SOTD:
Thiers Issard 6/8 Feston spine, snakewood scales
Simpson's chubby 3 manchurian
MdC vetyver
SV aftershave
What brush was the evil little bugger that made you lose your way with the GRUME?

I was close to pulling the trigger on the blue Duke 3 synth today as well. 😱

Day 5, 16.7% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Edition
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 OC, Astra SP #5
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid, Brut AS.

Had plenty of time, so tried to get a perfect BBS result, and almost succeeded. Got a bit of light blade irritation that went away with the balm.

I find this SV soap very good (lives up to its price tag), and will be looking at the rest of their range.

I am in.
It will stimulate me to further explore the small mountain of items I purchased after I jumped the DE shaving rabbithole.
This will prevent me from ditching the essence of the task given to me by my tutors after the 4 weeks shaving with the same razor and blade to improve my technique.
In no way does me joining suggests I consider myself a gentleman, yet, mind you.

I am in.
It will stimulate me to further explore the small mountain of items I purchased after I jumped the DE shaving rabbithole.
This will prevent me from ditching the essence of the task given to me by my tutors after the 4 weeks shaving with the same razor and blade to improve my technique.
In no way does me joining suggests I consider myself a gentleman, yet, mind you.
Welcome to the GRUME :)
As it says in the initial post by @FoolishMortal : Enjoy what you have!
Also time here will make it easier to prepare for more educated purchases instead of all the impulse buys that brought many of us here together.

Welcome to the GRUME :)
As it says in the initial post by @FoolishMortal : Enjoy what you have!
Also time here will make it easier to prepare for more educated purchases instead of all the impulse buys that brought many of us here together.
As I see it for now: GRUME seems to be not only a challenge to myself, but the challenge gets deeper because of other forum members, seeking to push you off balance. Exactly as it should be 😎

Top Bottom