What's new

November 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Day 6, 20% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 OC, Astra SP #1
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Had a lazy weekend shave, skipping the ATG, and got an easy CCS.

My dad sent me a text last night saying he was in need of a Stirling order and wanted me in on it to save on shipping. We haven't gone through with it yet but it surely will make me fail this month which is fine. Hey, this is my third GRUME in a row..and I can't disappoint the old man...

That's a better reason than any of mine. :thumbup:

I own over 50 brushes (over 20 Simpsons) and my Ch2 Silvertip is the best brush I own. Painfully expensive, but worth it IMO.

Give it time as it needs 6-8 shaves to open up and start releasing lather.

I bet you will love it.

P.S. This IS the first time in recent memory that CH2 Silvertips have been on the Simpson site. Mine was custom earlier in the year.
Thanks, this is the first time in my memory as well for a good 18+ months I had seen the 2 bands in Chubby 2 listed. The Duke 3 had popped up but not the Chubby's

Well that was fast, so which brush did you get? Hope to see you try again in Dec.

Simpsons Chubby 2 Silvertip. I will try and be good for December!

All here are in the same boat so no need for an extra thread :)
Thank you. So since apparently I did find the perfect razor it's harder to justify buying more, but I still.need the fancy stainless steel stand. Also, I can't possibly need more moisturizer. I have like 7. I have no soaps though and soaps are not expensive. I will Mayne get some but not too many and join next month.
I am.new.after all.

Thank you. So since apparently I did find the perfect razor it's harder to justify buying more, but I still.need the fancy stainless steel stand. Also, I can't possibly need more moisturizer. I have like 7. I have no soaps though and soaps are not expensive. I will Mayne get some but not too many and join next month.
I am.new.after all.
Soaps and creams last a long time so whenever possible get samples especially on the pricier stuff. I went overboard and bought budget stuff for 2-3 months that will take me 1-2 years to use up…

Also, my boyfriend kinda thought I was crazy to spent so very much on a razor that's just a piece of metal. He doesn't even touch it and still uses cartridges. Ha. However, I can't be buying fancy stands willy nilly.
Nothing wrong with using carts but switching from canned foam to proper lather and a brush will make a huge difference for him and will let you sample more stuff quicker.

Nothing wrong with using carts but switching from canned foam to proper lather and a brush will make a huge difference for him and will let you sample more stuff quicker.
Good idea. I am good at making lather with the cheap stuff now. I am trying out a less drying soap now i hope. I shave more often now.for sure.

View attachment 1358783Good idea. I am good at making lather with the cheap stuff now. I am trying out a less drying soap now i hope. I shave more often now.for sure.
Grapefruit and wild strawberries —> Officina Artigiana Milano Stay Traditional is a very good soap base and scent. Not sure if you ever tried mentholated/Eukalyptus stuff which can be very nice during summer —> Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore has sweet tobacco, Vanilla and Eukalyptus. It can be quite the rabbit hole.

FD9CEC98-49C6-49DD-941B-A2EA258884BF.jpeg
63F37877-216C-4A82-A302-940038749CF2.jpeg

Grapefruit and wild strawberries —> Officina Artigiana Milano Stay Traditional is a very good soap base and scent. Not sure if you ever tried mentholated/Eukalyptus stuff which can be very nice during summer —> Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore has sweet tobacco, Vanilla and Eukalyptus. It can be quite the rabbit hole.
I will have to try. No I am totally new. I have tried nothing outside my Vander Hagen set except switched to feather razor and blades so far. I love it so assume the other upgrades such as soap and brush could get similar results?

I will have to try. No I am totally new. I have tried nothing outside my Vander Hagen set except switched to feather razor and blades so far. I love it so assume the other upgrades such as soap and brush could get similar results?
Performance is not necessarily price related but you will get more sophisticated scents and better Post shave skin care properties with higher end stuff.

Still in and still getting used to my FaTip slant.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins and Brimble Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave oil
- Wickham 1912 Cashmere Soap (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Osma Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- Hylamide Skin Serums
- Wickham 1912 Cashmere Aftershave balm

Tools
- FaTip Piccolo Gentile Slant