What's new

Most Overrated and Underrated razors in your collection?

D

dangerousrazor

Overrated : All of Gillette Adjustables.( Fatboy, Slim, Super and Toggle) They are beautiful and their construction quality is way beyond any other adjustable razors. but I've never enjoyed their shaving quality.

Underrated : Gem, Injectors and some of non gillette DE and non Gem SE razors that arent mentioned frequently.

I haven't tried or experienced nearly enough razors to have a meaningful opinion. But, on the chance of drawing fire and ire, most underrated may be my only cartridge razor , Gillette Sensor (two-blade).

It’s all about personal preference in here bud. Don’t care what anyone else thinks.

Underrated: Silver Star, Probak and the Fatip Testina Gentle. Honorable mention for the Gillette TTO flare tips, I like them all. From the 50s - 70s models I can get a great comfortable DFS every time.

Overrated: Schick Krona (too light, too mild but everyone should try one as they are great if you like a mild razor) Gillette Slim and Super 109 (both great razors but they lack the "cool" factor of the Fatboy)

Just my opinion based on my collection and the razors I have or have used.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Love this thread. I've been thinking about this A LOT since it was first posted (probably too much :laugh:), and here's where I landed:

Overrated: Merkur 34c -- nothing wrong with it, I just don't feel like it "punches-above-it's-weight" (at least IMO). It also cost me more than 75% of my vintage razors, which have often outperformed it (again, IMO/IME).

Underrated: This list is LONG, so I'll shorten it by saying nearly every GEM and pretty much every Schick Injector. I know this is a DE thread, but if you haven't tried a vintage SE, you're definitely missing out.

On my face
Overrated: Techs, I have fat handle pre and post war, NDC ball end (love the heavy brass handle) and contract, gave them all a month shaving each,with different blades. They just don' do it for me.
Underrated: Stahly, just the head, on the heaviest handle I have.

I just thought of another razor in my collection that is either underrated or, more accurately, completely ignored as if it doesn't even exist, but it's a gorgeous razor that shaves beautifully.

To be fair, there probably weren't that many of these made, and its "heyday," if it had one, was a long time ago.

The razor is the iKon S3S. It was one of a series of razors that iKon put out that were at least loosely based on the Pils razor.

This one is a three-piece, dual comb, all stainless razor that is a superb shaver. Aggression level is just right for me. It's beautiful, too.

Only downside is blade loading, which can be a bit fidgety. But what a great razor!

Underrated: Pearl Open Comb TTO
Very close shave. Will bite hard if you get careless. Odd looking duck but works very well.
0216201437a.jpg

D

dangerousrazor

One underrated razor I want to mention is Valet Autostrop. There are plenty of them on the auction site and it can be used with Gem modified blade or Feather FHS 10. but it is hard to see them on the SOTD pics. A mild, great adjustable razor.

In my den?

Overrated:
Asylum Evolution-this is a SERIOUSLY finicky razor....if you don't have the proper prep, if you don't have at least a couple days growth, if you're in a bad mood, or if it's like 2:34pm this razor is going to leave a multitude of paper cuts all over your face for no reason. On the other hand, if you have 3-4 days growth, if you take a shower, wash your face, you're in a good mood and it's 2:35pm, this is one of the best razors I've ever used. This is a damn weird razor.

Muhle R41-this is not an aggressive razor. End of story.

Underrated:

Blackbird-this is one of if not the best razor on the planet right now. If you don't get a BBS in 2 passes + touchups you have a seriously manly mountain man beard and you need an axe.

Rex Envoy-this is a fantastic middle of the road razor that I haven't heard much about on B&B. It's great if you're looking to step up to a USA made SS DE, and it's fantastic if you want to break up your week and you're using something more aggressive on the reg, you could use this two days a week and be completely irritation free.

SLOC: this is just a seriously great mild razor for under $20. Grab one, you won’t be disappointed, especially if you use something more aggressive most of the week. This is a really nice respite from your bomber.

Last edited:
Top Bottom