What's new

Would you store your vintage collection in the bathroom?

Fellas so I’m not here to just show off, but while I’m here asking this question I might as well show my collection that I’ve poured lots of time, money, and research into… it’s by no means an @Dyllern collection that belongs in a museum, however… I’m pretty proud of it. There’s some rough ones in the pack that will soon be replated…
8381E69E-A380-45A2-B2A5-F6A12D55AB4E.jpeg

So… from the thread title you can probably tell what the question is…. Since I enjoy shaving with these razors and using them… I find myself taking them out of the cabinet a lot and walking all the way back into the bathroom to shave… now this might not sound like a big deal but…. it really isn’t. However… I had a thought come across my mind being as my shave den is my bathroom… I might be insane for asking this… Should I store this collection cabinet in the bathroom? Now my theory is the humidity and moisture aspect from the shower might be a problem. Maybe the razors would be okay, the cases… maybe not so much… but then again I could be wrong in that assumption so… does anyone have any experience or input to answer this question? If so, please do… I currently have a select few razors in the bathroom that aren’t collection quality to me. So should I keep this all separate as it is? Or can it be brought together? I don’t want to degrade anything.

Attachments

• 22697102-7C51-429E-A6F3-675F1CDBCB9D.jpeg
    22697102-7C51-429E-A6F3-675F1CDBCB9D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 58
  • 4397D3A6-23DF-4A52-83D7-10AAB6741207.jpeg
    4397D3A6-23DF-4A52-83D7-10AAB6741207.jpeg
    949 KB · Views: 55
  • 2491341B-D692-4ED1-94B9-FFABEB49FF19.jpeg
    2491341B-D692-4ED1-94B9-FFABEB49FF19.jpeg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 6A413BE2-6CEB-442C-983D-87009EACDF76.jpeg
    6A413BE2-6CEB-442C-983D-87009EACDF76.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Should I store this collection cabinet in the bathroom?

Lord, no.
Keep your goodies away from excess humidity as much as possible. Plus you'll be able to show it easier in another room.
Metal plating corrosion and warped, deteriorating 70 year old cardboard? No thanks.

Nice looking collection! Just Gillette?

Last edited:
Nope!

The razors themselves would probably been fine, but the boxes and packaging would slowly (or possibly quickly) get ruined. Keep that stuff cool, dry, and preferably in dim lighting.
Okay interesting. So would you say that the lighting you see at the moment to be to intense because it’s pretty bright? If so… I’m curious as to the effect it has. Not that I doubt you… in fact I’ve thought of it myself…

Legion

Staff member
Okay interesting. So would you say that the lighting you see at the moment to be to intense because it’s pretty bright? If so… I’m curious as to the effect it has. Not that I doubt you… in fact I’ve thought of it myself…
The leather and cardboard are not PH neutral, and the inks used in the ephemera are not colour fast. So basically bright light (specifically UV radiation) will cause the acids in the materials to break down and make it brittle (think old yellowed newspaper left in the sun), and the dyes will fade. The clear plastic razor boxes can also yellow.

If those lights are tungsten halogen they are putting out a lot of UV. You often see items in display cases in antique store that have been sitting there for a long time under lights showing a lot of damage. You'll pick up some dusty object, and there will be an outline of it on the faded item underneath.

Legion

Staff member
The leather and cardboard are not PH neutral, and the inks used in the ephemera are not colour fast. So basically bright light (specifically UV radiation) will cause the acids in the materials to break down and make it brittle (think old yellowed newspaper left in the sun), and the dyes will fade. The clear plastic razor boxes can also yellow.

If those lights are tungsten halogen they are putting out a lot of UV. You often see items in display cases in antique store that have been sitting there for a long time under lights showing a lot of damage. You'll pick up some dusty object, and there will be an outline of it on the faded item underneath.
Interesting, that makes a lot of since… wow I had no clue. Thanks for sharing the threads as well I will read them. They are LED so not sure if that still has an effect but I’ll do my research. It’s always incredible how I learn something new every time I come on B&B.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I wish I had space for such a cabinet in my bathroom! :)
I keep my mostly non-vintage steel razors in a cabinet there, but all this glass of the cabinet might not like if you shower e.g..
But the razors won't have a problem with that.

I shave in the bathroom so, naturally, I keep my razors there. The razors were meant to be used, not displayed in cases.
I know you probably won’t believe this but… you can actually use them and display them as well. It’s a greater level of appreciation for the razors. And it’s preservation of them as well... If more people would’ve had that appreciation we’d all have more good examples of vintage razors to shave with.

I know you probably won’t believe this but… you can actually use them and display them as well. It’s a greater level of appreciation for the razors. And it’s preservation of them as well... If more people would’ve had that appreciation we’d all have more good examples of vintage razors to shave with.
Razors are not harmed by using them.

It's also a matter of how humid your home, city etc are. You have some really nice looking razors and I'd be in the court of having them in an area that's away from your bathroom and still open to viewing. I'm lucky in that I store my stuff in the bathroom that doesn't have a shower etc so I pretty much have the run of the room.

I don't think the bathroom is a good place to store things longer term. Plus, I like to keep things simple and uncluttered. My collection of shaving things goes on a small set of shelves in another room.

Top Bottom