What's new

Most Overrated and Underrated razors in your collection?

Most underrated are most of the Gem razors in my collection. They’re fantastic shavers!

Most overrated? The Gem featherweight in my collection.
I have to agree the GEMs are under rated.
My most disappointing razor is the 46/47 Aristocrat. I am seriously underwhelmed. Cap tuned it up and it was replated by razorplate. It looks gorgeous in rose gold and works flawlessly. But meh in terms of shaves. Maybe I should try something other than a GSB. That is my go to blade.

Overrated.... Darwin Deluxe. Long wanted as a collectible, cost a fortune, hate the shave.

Underrated.... Yuma. Cheap razor from Turkey, $8 on eBay. Not a looker, not great finish. But one of the smoothest shavers I own!

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most overrated: 1959 Fatboy Rhodium... Beautiful razor always has a place on the counter, sometimes I pick it up just to admire it... But in 10+ years I can not get a reliable / repeatable close shave... Caveate.. I feel this way about most adjustable razors.

Most underrated: the Standard Razor. Not much to look at, an almost German Bauhause esthetic... Simple lines and a matte black anodized finish. But the all aluminum construction sings louder than any stainless steel razor I own and for the last five or six years it is one of the few I can pick up and easily achieve a BBS with any random blade no matter the amount of beard growth.

Honorable mentions for underrated: OneBlade Genesis and Occam's O.R.E.N.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Most overrated: 1959 Fatboy Rhodium... Beautiful razor always has a place on the counter, sometimes I pick it up just to admire it... But in 10+ years I can not get a reliable / repeatable close shave... Caveate.. I feel this way about most adjustable razors.

Most underrated: the Standard Razor. Not much to look at, an almost German Bauhause esthetic... Simple lines and a matte black anodized finish. But the all aluminum construction sings louder than any stainless steel razor I own and for the last five or six years it is one of the few I can pick up and easily achieve a BBS with any random blade no matter the amount of beard growth.

Honorable mentions for underrated: OneBlade Genesis and Occam's O.R.E.N.

Yep, forgot to mention my Standard Razor. I lucked out a got them at $25 for scratch and dent. Perfect finish, just think they were unloading for version 2. Feels like a much lighter, but much more aggressive version of the R89.

Most overrated for me is the Gillette Old Type (thick cap). Despite people claiming it’s aggressive and efficient, I just can’t get a clean shave out of it.
Underrated... maybe my plastic-handle Tech? Techs in general don’t go underrated, but the plastic-handle variants don’t seem to get much love.

Most overrated: RazoRock Lupo. I love many of their razors, but not this one. Too light, and doesn't shave closely or smoothly.

Most underrated: Merkur 34c or Aristocrat 46-47 (wings, no notch). Merkur is smooth, shaves very well, and is overall just a great razor for me. The Aristocrat gives me an incredibly good shave with little effort; much better than I would expect. I do tend to like any Gillette TTO that isn't a Red Tip (still trying to figure that one out).

I have two overrated and two underrated.

Overrated:

Gillette Hybrid Tech - not really a better shaver than my flat bottom Tech with a triangle slot Tech cap (thanks for the suggestion @romsitsa)

Wolfman WR2 1.15 - shaves close to a GC 84, but got a narrower angle to play with.

Underrated:

Parker Semi Slant - replaced my RR 37 as my favorite Merkur 37 clone.

Knockout Razor - just absolutely the best shaver in my rotation.

Overrated is the Muhle r41.

Underrated are the plastic 7 o’clock and Super Clicks
479FDDD4-5ABF-4B61-928D-EBE56105F68C.jpeg

I ordered some for my collection, and the folks cut them apart and the tops off. What else to do but try them out?
Once you get past the fact they are extremely light, they are fantastic shavers.

You are lucky the finish on my qshave was absolutely terrible so I sent it back to Amazon. In the description it said it was a Weishi.
My first qshave was a dud (blade not aligned) which happens more and then it is a slaughter house. But yeah lucky with this one. Still want to get a blue one and wish they had an orange one for the holidays

Overrated: Timeless aluminum. Not a bad razor, just not exceptional for me.
Underrated: Muhle R41. A lot of others do love this razor, but I think too many still believe it’s too scary to try.

Of the razors I have or previously had in my collection.....

Most underrated: Tie between the Slim Twist and the Stahly (head, not whole razor)

Most overrated: DE89. It shaved ok, but it never really shaved as smoothly or efficiently as I wanted it to.

Of the razors I have or previously had in my collection.....

Most underrated: Tie between the Slim Twist and the Stahly (head, not whole razor)

Most overrated: DE89. It shaved ok, but it never really shaved as smoothly or efficiently as I wanted it to.
The DE89 is the mad produced gateway drug razor for the masses... It was my first "new" razor after starting with a bunch of vintage stuff... It was, and is adequate, just not amazing... But it lead to much more expensive razors

Top Bottom