What's new

Adjustable choice: Parker Variant or Merkur Futur?

This discussion prompted me to get my Parker Variant OC out for a shave.

Set on 2.5 (out of 5) and loaded with a once-used 7 O'Clock Yellow, it gave me an incredibly smooth yet close shave.

As far as the quality of shave goes, I can't see any other razor being noticeably better.

Thank you, all, for your insight!

I may need to start another post, but if I select a Variant, how do I choose between the original safety bar or open comb? Are the blade gaps the same / how do they differ?

(E.g., I have a Fatip Piccolo (open comb), and I find it too aggressive for daily use. If open comb doesn't work for me, I don't want to buy the wrong setup.)

Thanks for any continued assistance!

I may need to start another post, but if I select a Variant, how do I choose between the original safety bar or open comb? Are the blade gaps the same / how do they differ?

(E.g., I have a Fatip Piccolo (open comb), and I find it too aggressive for daily use. If open comb doesn't work for me, I don't want to buy the wrong setup.)

The OC is one of the smoothest OCs out there (smoother than Fatip on my mug). Nevertheless it is an OC, the SB version is plenty efficient wide open, so I think you can start with that. (you'll understand what I mean by "start" if you stick around this forum long enough. :) )

I can only compare the OC Variant to the Progress, but the rounded edges of the comb on the Variant smooth it out and it does not at all feel harsh. Personally, I prefer the Variant OC.

OC, no contest.

It's actually smoother (if not by a whole lot) than the SB version, and just a little more aggressive while still being reasonably mild at low settings. I.e. I get the same shave from it on 2.5-3 as from the SB on 3-3.5.

That said, you should be perfectly fine with either one.

I just bought a Variant closed comb for my eldest son, to teach him on, and I tried it out myself last week-end. My baseline is a Merkur 34c (HD), but I also own a Gillette Slim.

The numbers go up to '5', and I tried it out on a '3'. Compared to my baseline, the Variant delivered a very smooth shaving experience, and I never once thought I was anywhere close to getting a weeper/nick. However, I didn't get quite as close of a shave as I expected, and I had to do quite a bit of touch-up. (Note that I do one pass plus touch-up.) Still, though, all of that touch-up did not result in any irritation. So, I suppose, if you're looking for an adjustable razor that's on the mild side, then the Variant might fit the bill. I haven't used the Futur to compare it to, but it's definitely milder than my Slim.

It's decently heavy compared to anything else I've shaved with, about 1.2 ounces heavier than my 34c. But the Futur is even heavier than that. Heads up: your QShave 'clone' actually weighs less than a real Futur, so you might notice the additional weight either way. The Variant's head is rather bulky, too, so take that into consideration if you think you might ever be shaving your upper lip with it.
I think this is a good example of YMMV. I have the Variant (closed comb) but would not classify it as a mild razor. Granted, it is very smooth though. I get wonderful shaves on setting 2 or 2.5 and it's got plenty of blade feel - it goes to a 5.

Granted, some of this is based on your beard type, skin type etc.

All in all, I would recommend it w/o hesitation.

I'm looking to grow my [small] razor collection by adding an adjustable. As the title suggests, I'm eyeing the Parker Variant and the Merkur Futur.

I currently have a QShave Futur clone, and I like it. Mine does suffer from an uneven blade alignment, but it's apparently not dangerous.

I've read online and on B&B about both of these razors - Variant & Futur - and I'd appreciate any feedback on comparisons, experiences, recommendations, etc. (I'm loving the "Adjustable April" thread!) I wear a circle beard goatee, so that potentially troublesome spot under the nose is not an issue for me at present. I also shave a portion of my head (a semi circle extension of my forehead, if that makes sense), so that will be a consideration.

I seem to have a slight preference for the Parker, but if I go that route should I go closed or open comb? (I shave daily, or at least enough that a couple of days stubble is all I need to deal with.) Can anyone sway me either way with your recommendations (knowing YMMV, of course!).

Many thanks!
Having both and used both, my vote would be for the Futur. I hardly ever use my Variant anymore, and prefer the weighty shave from the Futur. The Futur just seems like a more robust design. The Variant was very much like my Progress, and aesthetically, the Variant doesn't come close to the Progress, although the shave was pretty decent, maybe even more efficient.

I just bought a Variant closed comb for my eldest son, to teach him on, and I tried it out myself last week-end. My baseline is a Merkur 34c (HD), but I also own a Gillette Slim.

The numbers go up to '5', and I tried it out on a '3'. Compared to my baseline, the Variant delivered a very smooth shaving experience, and I never once thought I was anywhere close to getting a weeper/nick. However, I didn't get quite as close of a shave as I expected, and I had to do quite a bit of touch-up. (Note that I do one pass plus touch-up.) Still, though, all of that touch-up did not result in any irritation. So, I suppose, if you're looking for an adjustable razor that's on the mild side, then the Variant might fit the bill. I haven't used the Futur to compare it to, but it's definitely milder than my Slim.

I think this is a good example of YMMV. I have the Variant (closed comb) but would not classify it as a mild razor. Granted, it is very smooth though. I get wonderful shaves on setting 2 or 2.5 and it's got plenty of blade feel - it goes to a 5.

I used the Variant for a second time today. The first time, I used Russian Astra SP (use #1). This time, I used a Voskhod (use #2). And I set it to a '4' instead of a '3'.

Immediately, I felt the blade much more than when I used it on a '3'. And it was also noticeably louder. Those two things reminded me of my Gillette Slim. Because I have to be super careful with my Slim and it still usually ends up nicking me, I shifted into 'careful' gear. But, by the shave was over, I realized there was nothing much to fear. I was able to do my usual every-which-way touchup without re-lathering. No nicks, no irritation. And the result was approximately as good as I get with my Merkur 34c.

So, overall, my impression of the Variant has shifted away from calling it 'mild', because just going from 3 to 4 made it noticeably more aggressive. But even with that added aggression, it remained 'smoother' (in a sense) than I expected. Its louder bark was not accompanied by a harsher bite.

Top Bottom