What's new

Most Overrated and Underrated razors in your collection?

I'm curious which razors have blown you away or have been massive disappointments or both. I'm sure there are some real gems in peoples collections that maybe they don't usually talk about. This thread isn't about Keeping Up with the Joneses but personal preference.

My most underrated razor is the humble Gillette Good Will #160 from circa 1931. I have over 40 DE razors, and nothing shaves my face better in closeness and in comfort.

My most overrated razor is the ABC Old Type, licensed by Gillette and made in 1909. It's beautiful to look at, with triple plated silver and a well crafted ornate handle. But it's uncomfortable to use, as the teeth are oddly "pointed."

Not even sure if this razor has a name, but I use it 90% of the time. Dropped it last night DOH and it is still going. Plain, cheap, and for me any way...comfortable and efficient. I use Treet or Dorco blades in it. Have used Feather also but they were not noticeably better so I just use my standard preference blades. I think it was like $6 bucks or so on amazon. I was VERY pleasantly surprised.

Attachments

• razor.jpg
    razor.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 173
Completely subjective to user.

Most underrated razor I own by a long shot is the Fendrihan Mark II. Very smooth and efficient. Gets knocked because it is injection molded stainless and not CNC and some don’t like the pebble finish on the baseplate (2 pass BBS). Handle is also superbly designed. A close second is among the most affordable Timeless offerings in the Timeless Bronze SB. Just an amazing razor. Gets some knocks over the .38 blade gap. Can get a one pass BBS with a little cleanup. Extremely efficient.

I will get knocked over this myself, but most overrated I own is my Rex. Very good razor, efficient but the price is high and the finish does not match the price point. It is also not nearly as smooth as the original Gibbs. Inserting the blade takes a little more time than I like as the posts are a little too short. I should also note to be fair that I sent mine back for dial adjustment issues but it came back exactly the same. If yours does not have my issues, it is a great razor but still hard on the wallet. Buy it on BST or auction used.

My most underrated razor is the humble Gillette Good Will #160 from circa 1931. I have over 40 DE razors, and nothing shaves my face better in closeness and in comfort.

My most overrated razor is the ABC Old Type, licensed by Gillette and made in 1909. It's beautiful to look at, with triple plated silver and a well crafted ornate handle. But it's uncomfortable to use, as the teeth are oddly "pointed."
I must agree about the ABC. Kinda like a Frank Lloyd Wright chair, much better to observe than to actually use. As for overrated I'm not sure , I don't recall anybody saying they enjoy using them.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The razors I do not like, which includes those I think are over rated, I have sold. For me the biggest disappointment and most over rated razor is the Gibbs 15/17 Adjustable. In my view it is absurdly head heavy which is why so many owners unfortunately fit different handles. For the most under rated I will stick with Gibbs and choose the number 16 +/- which does not seem to get much love on here. I think it is a fantastic shaver and far superior to the adjustable Gibbs.

R

romsitsa

I must agree about the ABC. Kinda like a Frank Lloyd Wright chair, much better to observe than to actually use. As for overrated I'm not sure , I don't recall anybody saying they enjoy using them.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

The machined comb variant is the same as a Single ring or Ball end, imho. The stamped plate is pointy, but it's a thinnest of all Gillette combs.

Adam

Overrated: Fatboy
Underrated: old and newer Schick Injectors

Fatboy is just a slightly different razor to the slim adjustable and super adjustable that costs much much less nowadays. I was foolish enough the want one to be able to compare. Yes, it's a nice adjustable. But so is even my plate loss slim adjustable.

Schick, well, for the ease of operation the results are astonishing. I like challenges, so I'm not going 100% injector, but to be honest, I probably should.

br
godek

Hi all, @romsitsa I admit I haven't used my 102 Cap : "Old Type/ABC handle/Single ring" Razors in a little while as I have been experimenting using more of the (nearly 200) Razors I've acquired since I started collecting Razors at the end of March 2019. That being said, @jmudrick, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my "ABC-102 Cap-Old Type/Single Ring" Razors! Yes, one must take their time and enter into a state of "Zen" shaving using these Razors however, with my use of a Russian Gillette NACET blade, I've yet to find a DE Razor that can provide a more perfect/CLOSER shave. That being said, there are a few other vintage Razors that come pretty close to shaving as close as my 102 Razors. If memory serves.....my Fat Handle "NEW" (and I believe) my Gillette "Improved" were very impressive shavers. Now, my Diplomat shaved REALLY smooth and I described that shave as "smooth as Silk and an elegant shave" however, the Diplomat I soon discovered is a bit too mild a shaver for my Face as it left way too many (Cheek area) Whiskers even using a "Feather" blade. The Feather did a much better job however using my 1941 Ranger Tech yet, I STILL managed to "nick" myself BOTH times using that damn Feather blade. This has not been an issue using the Russian NACET blades no matter which vintage Gillette (or modern Merkur) Razor I've used.

R

romsitsa

The left one is the early, stamped verison, later ABCs were exactly similar to the one on your right (not counting that it's seemingly a 102a). Oh, it's a Single ring, my bad.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
My qshave variant (cheap merkur futur copy) makes most of my other (especially the expensive ones) blush just because it is that good shaving and even looking for that kind (6usd incl shipping) of money.
Still like My other razors but value wise the copy wins

You are lucky the finish on my qshave was absolutely terrible so I sent it back to Amazon. In the description it said it was a Weishi.

Most overrated - tie between any of the various Gillette Techs and Superspeeds - just can't get one to work for me.
Most underrated - Wardonia, mostly because you have to modify a blade to use one, unless you happen to have a Wardonia Standard. Easiest BBS of any of my DE or SE razors.

Top Bottom